1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest Mo Taylor and Brad Miller info from the Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rockets still eye Taylor, look at Hornets' Miller
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2000 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets -- greatly affected by the blockbuster 13-player deal that fell through -- maintained their Maurice Taylor watch Tuesday while working on a potential fallback plan.

In addition to renewing their last-chance pitch to Taylor on Tuesday, sources said the Rockets and Hornets discussed the possibilities of a sign-and-trade arrangement in which the Rockets would get free-agent center Brad Miller.

Those talks are preliminary and dependent on the pursuit of Taylor, a source involved in the talks said. The Hornets indicated they would seek perimeter-shooting help, though not necessarily a shooting guard. A deal would also likely involve at least a portion of the Rockets' $4.5 million trade exception.

The Rockets had not given up hope that Taylor could choose against signing with Seattle, particularly if the Sonics' proposed Vin Baker for the Knicks' Patrick Ewing deal cannot be resurrected.

That four-team trade involving a record 13 players (the Rockets trade for Steve Francis last summer involved 11 players) was nixed when the Pistons backed out of the exchange late Monday.

There were reports of a backup Seattle-New York deal Tuesday, but as the day transpired, it became apparent the trade was dead.

The Rockets had offered Taylor their $2.25 million salary cap exception or to work a sign-and-trade deal with the Clippers on a larger contract, putting other potential deals on hold until Taylor chooses to accept or pass on the offer.

The Hornets, meanwhile, also worked to carve out a niche in a revamped four-team deal that could return Glen Rice -- previously bound for the Knicks -- back to Charlotte. The Mavericks and Bulls also are involved in the proposal.

------------------
    NO GO ON MO FO!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited August 22, 2000).]

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Could this be the end for the Bull and Bryce here in Houston? He's the one who seems to fit the description. Of course you can take out Cat and Shandon. I doubt Walt would be involved here, as he alone will make more than Miller and I think Rudy wants to keep him on the team. And of course Langhi won't be traded. Bullard and/or Drew may be gone- if anything because no one else seems to fit the description. Of course this is only if we can't get Mo.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net

Assimilate David Falk!!

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dr,

any ideas on the players involved in this potential Charlotte, Laker, Bulls and Mavs trade?????

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

4. vince

vince Member

Nope. The Rockets should not use their 4.5 million dollar exception to land Miller.

But, Bull for Miller sounds good for me!!!

------------------
    Clutch, where it's a crime to speak your mind. Stop the dictatorships on this board. Revolucion!!!!!!

5. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

It would not be for Bull. They do not have a shooting guard. They have Mashburn to play the three and I read somewhere they were even talking about using P.J. Brown at the three in order to get more size in the line-up. I think all indications point to Bryce Drew. Still I would rather see Maurice Taylor become a Rocket.

------------------

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why not both?
    It is possible to get Brad Miller with Los and Drew (app. $3 million?), and sign Mo with the 2.5 exception (knowing we'll re-sign him to bigger $$$ next year). Frankly, we could use the size. Dream will be gone soon. Then, next year, we could deal picks and/or KT and/or Langhi to nab Terrence Morris.
    Of course, none of the above could happen. But I'd like to be stocked at center because all roads out of the West will go through either Shaq or Duncan/Robinson or Wallace/Kemp/Sabonis.
    Memo to Mo: Be your own man. F**k Falk. Sign with the Rox. You won't regret it. Neither will we. Forget Seattle. Payton made Baker cry, nearly went to blows with Maxwell; what do you think he'll do to you?

------------------

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

For the love of all things holy, DON'T DO IT, CD! We are about to pay WAY too much for a decent backup center who can play 15-20 minutes per game. I anticipate a sign-and-trade will pay Miller at least $4-5M per season. That is WAY too much. We're already overpaying a center on this team from limited flashes of potential. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

------------------

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Glenn Rice is the only one I've seen so far. The Bulls supposedly want him. The Mavs from what I've read are willing to give up Cedric Ceballos. Cuban openly stated that he doesn't want Rice, but would love to have Christian Laettner. Charlotte, I'm not sure about, but of course they do have Brad Miller. But I don't have any specifics.

------------------
    NO GO ON MO FO!!!!

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dr,

I thought Charlotte were desperate to get Rice back?????

Smeg

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

10. haven

haven Member

Brad Miller posted some nice stats last year in limited minutes, but I didn't see much of him.

How much potential do you guys think he has?

------------------
    David Falk is a MoFo.

The lottery sucks. Playoffs 2001.

11. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I posted this yesterday in another thread on Available Free Agents:

On Brad Miller from http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/articles/20000821/253983.html :
    <HR WIDTH=75%>
    The Laettner-for-Rice portion of the trade, especially if the Charlotte Hornets can be added (Laettner to the Lakers, Rice to Charlotte, Brad Miller and another Hornet player to Detroit), might still occur, a league source said.

------------------
    "There's 1,000 different things we're looking at, but there's not a lot of things there," he said. "The thing we have to remember-if nothing happens, there's still a positive in that, and that's a big positive." -- Rudy T.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would think that Miller could play the 4. He's not slow of foot and has agood work ethic... pretty well unproven though...

I think the one the Hornets would be looking at in a trade scenario would be Walt. He can play the 2 or 3 and is the sort of scorer that they're looking for to go with their big bruisers up front. I don't think Drew would be considered - they have Wesley and Davis as their points....

Of course trading Miller straight up for Walt would mean that Miller would be making 4million per season.... that' a heckuva lot.....

------------------

13. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

I think the Rockets are hoping to get a Brad Miller type player out of Collier. I could see Brad taking Collier out of the fold for a while though.

I like Miller but his rebounding is a bit weak - though with limited minutes. Lets get him down to Houston if all else fails.

------------------

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

That 'outside shooter' that the Hornets want sounds too much like Langhi.

I'm hoping that the Rockets don't get the chance to consummate the trade. Not only for acquiring Mo... but for keeping Dan.

Hell, Axel Dench and T.W. are the men for the post. The only thing that would be cool in a Miller acq. would be for 0 exemption/exception/whatever to be used and getting rid of long term contracts (i.e. Drew can walk anyhoo next season, so big whoop).

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Axel Dench is not going to be Rocket - I believe he was told he's not wanted and is now playing in Australia (??)

I don't think we can trade Langhi until December (or is it November??)

Achebe; I'd also like to "get rid" of some long term contracts... Walt's is the most obvious one in this deal - is there any way we can facilitate this so that we don't pay Brad Miller too much??

------------------

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why not go after both Taylor and Miller?

17. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

TheFreak, your a genius. How come nobody thought of this before. Capital! Outstanding!

Somebody get a hold of these gentleman right away! TheFreak you shall not go unrewarded after everything is all said and done.

------------------

18. Thanos

Thanos Member

Miller has proven to be a capable rebounder, nearly equaling Taylor´s stats with lesser minutes.

He´s young and would fit in fine with our group. His presence would be added motiviation for Cato, and he could play the 4 too, i suppose.

Having both of them would be nearly perfect.

The wizard seems to fit what Charlotte is looking out for. If we could somehow get rid of Drew in this deal i say go for it and sign Miller to a long term contract. He is worth the bet.

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited August 23, 2000).]

19. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

DrN:

What would you get rid of Walt for a nonamer w/ multiple years on a contract. If they want a Walt--- a poor man's Glen Rice, then I would hope that the Rockets would try to acquire Coleman or (obviously a dream) P.J. Brown.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

Achebe, that´s preposterous. Only in your dreams would Walt amount to anything as far as getting Coleman and PJ Brown goes.

They´re obviously NOT going to be traded, and if they are, certainly not for - as you have said - a poor man´s Glen Rice.

Walt for Miller is a nice enough deal in my book.

Maybe we could thrown in Drew and KT as well, get Wesley, and then redirect Wesley somewhere else for a SF type guy, or maybe Jerome Williams.

What do you guys think?

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"