1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest from Sentinel... (Ray Allen for Francis?)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 23, 2004.

1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

OrlandoSentinel.com

By Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted June 24, 2004

The much-anticipated trade of superstar Tracy McGrady to the Houston Rockets could bring both Seattle all-star guard Ray Allen and Miami Heat small forward Caron Butler, in one of several, multiteam scenarios still being considered by the Orlando Magic.

General Manager John Weisbrod -- on the eve today's NBA draft -- refused to talk about any trade specifics involving McGrady, but NBA sources confirmed the interest of both Seattle and Miami in being part of a deal.

Weisbrod did say Wednesday afternoon that as many as seven teams still are in serious bidding for McGrady, and that he was in no hurry to make a choice, turning his focus instead on making the No. 1 pick in the draft today.

"We're still weighing a lot of options with Tracy. He still could be here this season, or he could be traded," Weisbrod said at the RDV Sportsplex. "If we do trade him, I don't think there's any chance of it happening before the draft."

Weisbrod discounted earlier reports that the deal with the Houston Rockets -- bringing Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in return -- was all but finished. He also discounted a report that Francis' unhappiness about coming to Orlando could sidetrack that deal.

Francis, also an all-star, likely would be traded elsewhere. The Magic have talked with Seattle about a Francis-for-Allen trade, also with lesser players involved from both sides.

The Magic, at the same time, have talked to the Miami Heat about a trade that would send Mobley and forward Drew Gooden in exchange for Butler, their promising, second-year forward. Gooden has played especially well against the Heat in his career, averaging 22.7 points and eight rebounds per game against them last season.

Although both the Rockets and Pacers have been linked strongly to McGrady and the Magic, other teams have been making serious efforts to land him. The Magic are waiting for the Phoenix Suns to sweeten their offer of Shawn Marion and the No. 7 pick in today's draft. The Magic also want either Joe Johnson or Amare Stoudemire in a package.

The Heat, who tried desperately to land McGrady when he was a free agent in 2000, also have talked with the Magic about a deal involving either Eddie Jones or Brian Grant, along with Butler for McGrady. They would love to put McGrady together with Lamar Odom, giving them two incredibly versatile swingmen, much like the Magic once anticipated doing with McGrady and Grant Hill.

"Because of the magnitude of a deal and of him as a player, there's this big rush to conclude where he's going," Weisbrod said. "But the assumption out there that it's done, or that Houston is the team, is just not the case. We're still weighing our options."

While the rest of the league waits for the trade of McGrady and who the Magic will selected No. 1, Weisbrod sounded content to keep waiting on better offers. McGrady can't opt out of his contract with the Magic until after next season. There is the slim chance he could play for the Magic this season.

"There are plenty of deals out there for Tracy. If we wanted to do a deal today, we could," Weisbrod said. "But we're certainly not going to rush anything. We're going about it as methodically as we can. There is no time pressure."

Among the lesser deals the Magic also are exploring is the return of popular point guard Darrell Armstrong, who played last season in New Orleans. His absence last season contributed to their collapse. He would fit well in a lineup that included Allen, Butler and center/forward Emeka Okafor, the possible No. 1 pick in the draft.

Allen led the Sonics last season, averaging 23 points in 56 games. Although he is older (28) than Francis (27), he is considered more coachable. Butler averaged 9.2 points in helping the Heat into the second round of the playoffs.

Armstrong, who was vacationing in Orlando this week, said he was unaware of the trade talks involving him, but he said they wouldn't surprise him.

"If it happened, that would be great," he said. "Maybe we could get it back together again."

In anticipation of getting Francis from Houston, the Magic also have talked to the Washington Wizards about a deal involving point guard Gilbert Arenas and former No. 1 pick Kwame Brown. Francis played his college basketball at the University of Maryland and he would give the Wizards a much-needed public relations boost.

"There are so many variables with this," Weisbrod said. "There are a lot of deals still under consideration."

------------

2. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Whoops... ron413 posted this before me. My bad ron. :)
    Delete please.

3. silent j

silent j Member

Screw Orlando, I'd actually rather get Ray Allen for Francis. I think he'd make a better compliment for Yao than McGrady.
    j

4. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Yeah, and keep CAt and CAto. I am all for that.

5. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

Why would Orlando do this?

Gooden and Cat for Butler...Gimme a break.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

cus they won't need gooden after they land okafor or howard. combined with the fact that caron is a fan favorite in FL in general and the fact that he's going to be a badass...and that he plays sf...he would fit in well on their team. not to mention if they had ray allen that's a star at the 2...they could field something like

armstrong?
    allen
    butler
    okafor
    cato

YOU may not like it, but that's a good freaking team with a potential for 2 young stars. they'd be fun as hell to watch. not to mention since they got an allstar back for francis, the fans would be appeased and still get to watch a young team exciting team.

7. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

It does seem goofy, but I hope they do because that means we will have gotten TMac. They can do whatever they want with Steve, Cat, and Cato.:D

8. sup123

sup123 Member

poor cato...He is gonna get left all alone. :p

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

what is this the All Ex-Huskies team?

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

wow, you're right they are...I didn't even notice that and I'm a HUGE uconn fan, lol
    hm...wonder if that's a coincedence with these rumors? I mean, they're all sitting right there in the paper.

11. MONON

MONON Member

Not hardly. Armstrong is from Fayetteville State & Cato is from Iowa State.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

monon...there's still 3 uconn players in that lineup, dude.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Just replace armstrong with that chubby little PG that won the title with Rip, and you would have four Huskie starters.

EDIT: Khalid El-Amin

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

he played for the heat too at one point ;)

15. Sane

Sane Member

Well, Washignton traded their pick, Stackhouse and Laettner for Antawn Jamison.

Which means, they have both Jamison and Kwame Brown at PF.

Jamison is VERY VERY capable of playing PF in the East.

IMO, Washington are looking very ready to take on Francis for Arenas and Kwame Brown, which would no doubt make everyone, including Orlando, happy.

They'd essentially have traded McGrady for Cato, Mobley, Arenas, and Kwame Brown. Very good deal IMO.

On a side note, Francis would look good in Washington:

Haywood/Thomas
    Jamison/Jeffries
    Hayes/Jeffries
    Hughes/Dixon
    Francis/Blake

Okafor/Cato
    Kwame/Okafor/Cato
    Hill?/Garritty/Bogans
    Mobley/Stevenson
    Arenas/Armstrong?

16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Hehe, the all Maryland backcourt.

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Washington is a great destination for Steve. Get him out of the West, please.

If Orlando can get all that for T-Mac and Howard and Lue (oh, wait: T-MAC, Howard and Lue), then more power to them. But Les better go out there and get us the players we need to compete. We would have holes at the 5, 3, and the 1.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Exactly. What's hilarious is, I was thinking about the Washington/Dallas trade in the shower and if Kwame was about to be dealt. Kwame and Arenas for Francis was exactly what hit me, and there it is in the paper!

Hilarious. I hope it goes through. It would be nice for Steve to be able to go home.

Evan

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It would be nice .... but it would expose his "already-been-through-rebuilding-want-to-play-for-a-winner" schtick as crap. I don't think Washington in that scenario would be as good as Orlando's potential team just doing the deal straight up.

20. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I think the "local-boy-excited-to-come-home" routine would gloss right over that little faux paus.