1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Last Post" in the BBS Index

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by MoonBus, Aug 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I've noticed that the new BBS has a "last post by xyz" column in the BBS index. It is a good addition, but wouldn't it be better to have "last post from thread abc" instead?

IMHO, "last post from thread Cato traded to Chi-town" has more usefullness than "last post by MoonBus"
    It's great & all that the almighty MoonBus has spoken :rolleyes:, but I think it's much more meaningful to see a thread (maybe an important one) being updated.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Clutch,

If you're still taking requests:

I wouldn't mind seeing that entire column removed. I think it's useless. Somebody made the last post -- who cares? There could've been 50 posts made before the last one that I'd want to see. You'd get rid of a whole column of those arrow images as well which could help the poor 56k people.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Moonbus,

Showing thread titles makes for a messy column of wrapping. I don't like that either. We could just get rid of both.

DoD,

I disagree WRT getting rid of the entire column. I scan the dates as much as I scan the post starters. I like the column, but could lose it as well. As for saving d/l size, I am finding it is more an issue with limiting the amount of GET requests. The less GETs the faster each page will load. It is not as much a function of d/l size. We can achieve this by replacing as many icons gifs with hypertext links as possible.

Clutch, each GET is a separate request to Apache, which opens a new socket. We turned off socket "keep alives," because we find it to be faster (oddly enough). Note how the pages are d/l-ing some images after rendering the tables. This is because we have so many GET requests per page, and each needs a new socket, and each socket connect could produce an apache WAIT (albeit a brief one).

I'd like to see us limit as many GETs as possible. Like change the next and prev Thread images (those itty-bitty arrows) to less than and greater than hypertext. Likewise, get rid of redundant icons that support hypertext chooses at the bottom of the page....the "mail to a friend" icon, and the GO icon. Change them to hypertext. The weird little "C" for Clutchcity at the top of the pages on the left.

#3 heypartner, Aug 10, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2001