1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Last Day Players can sign contracts coming up quickly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 12, 2013.

1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Where's Mike Harris when you need him?

2. j3i

j3i Member

I'm pretty sure he can speak functional mandarin with a Taiwan accent.

3. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

how about Thomas which i think NY Released few days ago. sign him as our back up C. when Smith gets in trouble. bc we will need as many bodies as we can for Playoffs when we might face OKC in second round.

4. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Lin born and beard in US. If he got accent, it Westcoast American guy speaking Mandarin.

5. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson approves.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

From what I've heard, his Mandarin isn't very functional.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Anybody know what Sedale Threatt is up to these days?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Why can't Ohlbrecht be the guy to go in there and pick up 6 fouls?

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Uum, I believe anyone signed now would not be eligible to play in the playoffs.

I could be wrong

10. basketballholic

He could. But he won't play much D on top of them. Just six hacks.

It's not really about whether Ohlbrecht is going to be an NBA player or not. Personally I think he's a NBA player. I do have doubts on how good he's going to be though. And right now, where we are at in the bigger picture, it might be advantageous to drop him for a vet or for a really good foreign player that we can use our salary cap to help him buyout his deal and get over here. That would be more advantageous than having Ohlbrecht as the 13th man on this team.

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

After doing some searching, I'm partially right.

It seems what the player's situation prior to March 23rd makes the difference if they are eligible or not.

I'm still looking for an article from a better source, but this one from hoops rumors is quoted here.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/03/playoff-eligibility-for-late-season-additions.html

12. craguin

craguin Member

Josh Harrellson, anyone?

"MIAMI, January 7 – The Miami HEAT announced today that they have waived center Josh Harrellson.

Harrellson appeared in five games with the HEAT this season, averaging 2.0 points and 1.4 rebounds in 5.6 minutes per game.

He originally signed with Miami as a free agent on September 17, 2012."

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are few and far between free agents who would actually be ready enough to see action in the playoffs at this point.

Your better off going with the rotation you have now, and keeping projects like Royce White or Ohlbrecht on the roster for next years training camp to see if they develop into something you could use moving forward in the future.

The AB signing was about all this team needed for vet insurance anyways. I personally thought Marbury could have been an interesting name to bring in for a playoff run, but I guess AB will have to do.

14. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Dude, it's the other way around. Yi does not speak good mandarin. He speaks Cantonese.

He has been a bad defender in NBA, has a jump shoot tendency, tend to lose the ball with more than 1 dribbles, and has limited rebounding capability.

Don't think he is good fit for playoff NBA games at all.

15. JMG524

JMG524 Member

Yi Jianlian is available after coming off an MVP championship season in the CBA. He dropped 30/12 against Serge Ibaka and the Gasol brothers during the olympics. Several NBA teams are said to be interested in bringing him on for the playoffs for depth. Upside is he's athletic big who can also spread the floor which could fit our offense. Best of all, he'll bring another legion of Chinese fans to annoy the hell out of you LOHs.

1 person likes this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I get what the OP is saying but its not like Ohlbrecht really had a chance. He never played real minutes, just garbage minutes, and he was a D-League All Star! (ok, thats like saying you won the "miss sugarland beauty pageant"--ain't that hard). But he has upside, is young, the next Dirk (cough), so why not let him grow a bit and see what we have. the lineup is working and another waiver wire or d-league backup center won't be any better than Timmy imo

1 person likes this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I agree with you that the "top free agents playing overseas" angle makes a lot of sense for the Rockets if they can pull something off. However, given their cap situation this summer (and the potential need for max cap room), I don't think they'd risk up to $3.4 million just to MAYBE bring back the free agent next season. That said, I could see another Beverley-type of signing for the league minimum or thereabouts.

We've been through this before. What you are describing is a RENEGOTIATION. Those cannot be done between March 1 and June 30, and since the Rockets must decide on their team option for Garcia by June 30, they will have to decline the option before they can work a renegotiation.

I do not doubt that the Rockets probably explored something like this BEFORE March 1, but it's not going to happen now.

(And before you choose to argue with me about this, I'll give you the "agree to disagree" response right now.)

The setoff rules would make the amount of cap savings for the Honeycutt guarantee absolutely miniscule. It really wouldn't be worth negotiating anything with Honeycutt unless he were independently viewed as the best player to add to the team.

Brooks's contract becomes fully guaranteed if he is not waived by June 30. They'll have his non-guaranteed deal to use in trades on draft night, but that's about it. I expect that they'll likely just waive him, with the door possibly wide open to return on a vet minimum deal next season.

18. ahhh

ahhh Member

Agree with everything except he's actually a very good rebounder, he's asked to lead the fast break which is why his rebounding numbers dropped dramatically, too dramatic to not be a strategic move. But yes, extremely worried about his handles in the playoffs. Dude is going to die. I'm hoping he's right about how he gets everyone's best shot every night because nobody wants to get beat by him. If so, then he should be used to it...we shall see.

19. basketballholic

What you are describing on Brooks' contract is a simple team option. Nobody is showing it as such except hoopshype and that was just updated recently. (Also, there is the possibility of flipping Brooks for a true non-guaranteed contract prior by June 30, that would give us another non-guaranteed salary to use in trade over the summer. If some team close to the ) If indeed Brooks is a team option, then that provides more impetus for my theory on acquiring more non-guaranteed contracts to control over the off season and make sure we exceed the cap enough to have a regular MLE available if indeed Morey wants to work the S&T angle.

We'll have to "agree to disagree" on the Garcia contract. I verified with Coon that what I described is not a renegotiation. So it's basically your word against his. I don't know which guy to bet on since you're pretty knowledgeable. However, in reading Coon's faq myself, I came up with the conclusion that I later verified with Coon.

I do think Morey would give up the $3.4 million to get Llull over here. I suspect you'd agree with that. But I ain't getting any responses on it. None. Don't know what to think.

Diamitidis is also out there. Rumored to never want to come over I know. But...pehaps? Now might be the time for him. Getting over 30. Done everything over there.

Ioannis Bourousis is another guy I'm thinking about. He's around 30. May be ready to come over.

Any of those guys I just mentioned I think Morey would hand them the rest of the cap space to get them over here.

Sure other teams have more cap space. But there's got to be a fit. A vet Euro guy that is one of the best in the world isn't going to come over and sign with Sacramento for $5 million. He's gonna sign with a playoff contender so he can get some run and play at the highest levels. The guys I'm talking about aren't projects. They've been champion ballers over there and if they come stateside it'll be with a contender most likely.

20. basketballholic

I tried to pull up guys that would be playoff eligible. I think most of the names I came up with are.