1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Smith: Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jul 30, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thats right rookie, at least i'm helping with your post count. bring it. i don't ignore people.

2. onethreeeleven

I've noticed you don't ignore people. Anybody. Like guys that write one line in some random thread, that you turn into a war between people who respect and people who don't respect the history of this thread. Mountains molehills. I'm goin to bed.

3. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Found this one from Wang Meng......

A different perspective from Yao Ming side.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

i just hope you get some Yao wedding pictures.
    make sure you get the bachelor party pics.

5. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

He does have to explain how he blew that season off though. We won 5 consecutive games before he took over, and then we went something like 5-10 before completely out of PO. To me it's like a mission impossible.

Fans dont hate Larry, they just need somebody to blame for why that season ended disasterously. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever If Rudy didnt get sick, we would have made PO in that season.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

We had to make that great run to challenge for the 8th seed. I think we were running low on gas, plus the Rudy sickness probably weakened the spirit of the team.

7. JJae

JJae Member

Also it has something to do with arrogance and thinking everyone cares about what you/they think and feel. People who get offended and end up making the biggest "stink" about it probably consider themselves to be of the most important people in the world. "...the smug sense of superiority" that I mentioned definitely feeds into this. And again on my point about using offense as a spring board to get your/thier own personal views out there. No better time for some elitist to come out and explain every little facet of his ideology.

8. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I hope so too........ :p

But as reported, Big Yao wants his wedding to be as low key and private as possible, and he intended to only invite those that are close to him, meaning family, relatives and close buddies only. No officials, no ordinary team mates and no media.

I wondered whether he will invite any of his close buddies that work in media, people like Yang Yi?? Wang Meng??

As long as these guys get photos and the photos show up in the Chinese web sites, I guarantee you that you will get them posted here on Clutchfan site.

#48 pryuen, Jul 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  9. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

To all newcomers: Arguing and trying to reason with tinman is an exercise in futility.

Trust me, I found out the hard way a few years back. :)

10. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Me too.
    Larry was wrong in brutaly trying to transform Yao from the finesse player he used to be to an exclusively back to the basket force just for the last 3 weeks of a season while we were still in contention for a playoffs spot.
    He could have waited to work with Yao in the offseason, without immediate (bad) impact on the results of the team.

11. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

No just "black and big guy"

LOL here we go again!

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

or how about Black Mr. Clean :D

13. tulexan

tulexan Member

don't forget to mention the obvious slit between his two front teeth.

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lol...what the ****???? you cant be serious

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

no i think it was black biggie...thats what they call him in china

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people must be bored..bringing up old and completely worthless things.

rockets could have won a championship if only yao got those extra 2 minutes a game ... :rolleyes:

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yup 1 extra year of playoff experience wouldn't have mattered :rolleyes:

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm with tinman on this, it pissed me off to no end that the people blamed larry smith for not making the playoffs. the rockets blew some games they should have won earlier that season that would have insured playoffs, and b they lost to one team that had a worse record than them during that stretch.

everyone new before rudy went down that the last 10 game stretch was going to be tough, but when it happened everyone blamed smith. he was nothing but a scapegoat.

19. SmitingPurpleEm

I'll go with Yao's words over Larry Smith's words. If Larry Smith admitted he didn't like Yao, it would make him look bad, since he is coaching in the D-League and Yao is a superstar, and it would make it look like Smith has problems getting through to his players. I'd say Yao has a very good idea of whether Larry Smith liked him or not.

Still, it's not a big deal. As Yao said, every coach has players he likes and players he doesn't like. Heck, Phil Jackson for the longest time hated Kobe, and they're doing fine now.

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Why is the reporter referring to him as "this black and big guy"?? Over 50% of NBA players are "black and big guys" but they're not labeled as such in other articles. I sense a little hostility towards Mr. Smith.