1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Sanders On Why He Left

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PersianRocket, Feb 25, 2015.

1. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

He hustled the NBA. Damn.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Good for him. As for those bashing him, I understand it. They don't understand depression and anxiety but it's not their fault. I hope they never have to learn about it the hard way by having a loved one suffer from these debilitating disorders or suffering them themselves.

This situation reminds me of the great old Mitch Hedberg joke: "Alcoholism is a disease but it is the only disease that you can get yelled at for having. Goddammit Otto, you're an alcoholic! Goddammit Otto, you have Lupus! One of these things does not sound right." The joke is a good one because it has a ring of truth. But it leaves out mental health disorders. One can and often does get yelled at for struggling with mental illness.

I don't blame people for not understanding. As a society we have done virtually nothing to remove the unfair stigma and so people think depression is 'the blues' crossed with laziness when in fact it is one of the deadliest, most difficult medical conditions one might encounter.

I'm proud of Larry Sanders. He's doing what he needs to do to get well. Eddie Griffin wasn't able to take that step. If you lack personal experience with depression, maybe think about him before presuming to know what Sanders has been through or what he "should" do with his life.

As a lifelong major depressive I see a very brave man doing a very difficult thing in placing his health and his loved ones above all else.

3 people like this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Great post. People, especially right wingers can be so harsh about mental illness and weed.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Another excellent post. So glad to see Batman back on the bbs enjoying the Rockets and adding some common sense to the board.

1 person likes this.
  5. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

My problem isn't him leaving, my problem is him signing a huge contract then his depression hit hard and his passion left.

If you had depression, you sure as hell knew that before you signed a monsterous contract, and if you really want to be "honorable" or whatever else, then walk away from all the money as they bucks offered you a contract completely based on a false pretense.

Most anyone any other job had a depression attack and had to leave they wouldn't get a dime, let alone a 27 million dollar gift for leaving.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

My mistake he left that money on the table, I was under the impression Bucks gave him that money to leave (not sure how much), if he really walked away from everything and got no parting gift, then I take back what I said.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I was involved years ago with someone who suffers anxiety and worse. I think she had what's called borderline personality disorder. It's no picnic to be around, let alone to go through personally. She always talked about "racing thoughts"; and her mood could turn on a dime. When I saw that hooded expression in her eyes? "Oh, s***."

A shame Milwaukee's ledger and bottom line had to find out about mental illness the hard way, but at least the dude's getting help.

8. Batman Jones

If he had had a physical health condition that he felt he could play through but later realized he could not, would you feel the same way? Would you ask him to give back the money if he had a bad heart or do you only feel this way about people that suffer from having a bad brain?

9. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Equating the conscious decision to abuse alcohol to Lupus, while pretty funny when being delivered by Mitch, is offensive to any lupus sufferers when offered as a serious idea

10. Batman Jones

Thank you for this. And I'm sorry for you and for the person with whom you were involved. I wish everyone understood the seriousness of mental illness but I am sorry for anyone that has come to understand it through personal experience.

11. Batman Jones

Addiction is a very serious health condition, not a selfish choice. I say that as someone that has suffered from bipolar 1, addiction, and severe, late-stage Lyme disease which has had me bedridden for most of the last year and a half. It is very much like Lupus; in some cases it is worse.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Ha, by the time he runs out of money, he'll be too old to earn more than the NBA minimum, and that's assuming he stays in shape.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I kinda hope he finds peace and comes back to play.

DD

1 person likes this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Anything that is capable of tearing a family apart is terrible, whether it's physical disease, mental disease, or addiction.

The problem is people don't always see mental problems that way unless they are the ones with them, and in that situation it is incredibly difficult to be your own advocate.

15. Batman Jones

Too true. Also true that mental disease and addiction are physical diseases. They aren't treated that way, AT ALL, but they are. And major depressive disorder, bipolar, etc are very serious illnesses that are notoriously difficult to treat and in most cases impossible to cure. And yet, if one can't go to work from being sick with them, he still feels obliged to make up a lie and say he has the flu or something -- one has to lie as one would to stay home with a hangover. Major depression is to the flu as cancer is to a cold, but one feels justified in calling into work with the flu (or cancer). Not so with depression. And that is so not right.

16. Batman Jones

I should clarify that I am in a privileged position with regard to my mental health and my job in that, being a theatre director, emotions are the tools of my trade and my mental health issues are recognized and understood by the board of directors that hired me to form the organization. So I don't have to be dishonest or feel ashamed about my health problems, mental or otherwise. I am very, very rare in being that kind of lucky. I feel for the vast majority of mentally ill people that are not in this privileged position. Nobody should have to feel ashamed because they are sick.

17. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

My understanding is that he was owed 40+ million but was bought out for 2 million a year until 2022. So while he did technically "walk away" from the rest he still got a bunch of money he didn't earn.

It's great that he's looking out for what's best for him, but it's a lot easier to make that decision when you have a few million dollars in the bank. Most people suffering from mental health problems have to deal with it while holding down a job and trying to maintain personal relationships and paying for treatment/medication.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Ohhh he will. When he's out of money. You can bank on it.
    Now he can smoke his brains out and pretend he has serious mental illnesses but instead of looking for treatment go to the carribean and smoke. But you will not be the one who will laugh last Larry. What goes around comes around.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Pretty easy for some here to be all high and mighty " you don't understand mental illnesses! Where's your compassion?" when its NOT your team being burnt by this fakea$$. Perhaps some know Larry better than you and have followed him more in his carreer than you and know better what kind of crap character he is.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

This is not typically how depression works, FYI.