1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Sanders and Bucks trying to reach buyout. Should Morey take a chance?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets88MT, Feb 16, 2015.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

And what if he doesn't become motivated? From what I've seen with Sanders his problem isn't with the situation, just like Andrew Bynum or Hasheem Thabeet he just doesn't like/got burned out of playing b-ball so even if you change the scenery maybe he'd play well for some time but you don't know when he'd go full r****d again.

Maybe he turns it around but then again I don't want to have the headache of signing him to another big contract if he plays well, it's not like Josh Smith who already has a career playing b-ball, Sanders is like Royce White you don't know when he's gonna punk out and just collect them checks.

2. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What it comes down to is...

Is Larry Sanders an upgrade over Joey Dorsey?

[​IMG]

3. NotChandlerParsons

Good news. Royce White is still available.

4. knucklehead3321

Wow hit the nail on the head with eddie... hadnt thought about him in a while. RIP One of my favorite rocket players, your right though. So much promise, and talent, but so little interest for the game. Sad to say but sanders will likely be dead, or in jail within the next few years if he continues on his current path.

5. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Not if Sanders refuses to suit up and then ends up choking McHale in practice. If you loved lounging around and smoking with your friends. Then somebody gave you $25+ million dollars after taxes, would you really alter your lifestyle doing something you have no interest in just to make maybe $5 mil for the next 10 years?

6. Progs

Progs Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Larry Sanders gets bought out, my money is on the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> bringing him in. If he gets his mind right (big if)... <a href="http://t.co/HX3jR3yGze">http://t.co/HX3jR3yGze</a></p>&mdash; nick wright (@getnickwright) <a href="https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/567440218878275584">February 16, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. BabySeal

BabySeal Member

I don't know much about this situation. Is the tweet accurate? Do we really have a chance to get him?

Also, what exactly is his story? Similar case to Royce, or is it something completely different? He'd be huge if we signed him. Wasn't he considered a top big man last year?

8. basketballholic

He's in no condition to ball and won't be in any condition to ball this season. I can't see a single NBA team giving him a shot until he completes rehab and they can interview him and check out what he's been doing for a while. Seriously doubt he sees an NBA roster until this summer at the earliest.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

You guys are assuming he actually wants to continue playing basketball. He's getting every penny of that 44 million dollar contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to take a long, if not permanent break away from the game.

10. YaosDirtyStache

Hell to the naw.
    Dude is broken mentally which is even worse than broken physically.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

Let's put it this way. Id rather deal with Royce White's situation than Larry Sander's. Playing in the NBA is not even on Sander's radar right now.

12. MaTTU

MaTTU New Member

He's apparently dealing with a lot of mental issues, so while I'd like the Rockets to get him, I doubt he ever plays basketball again.

13. hakeemthagreat

If by chance he doesn't, will you convince me we're better off with Joey Dosey than Larry Sanders?

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Whats the difference between the buy out option and the waiver option. The latter looks much rarer, at least when a contract and player like Smoove are concerned. Why wasn't Smoove just bought out?

15. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

If I'm not mistaken, buy out they reach an agreement to part ways and the player gets whatever money they agree to pay and instantly becomes a free agent. A waiver player would still get paid by his team and would have to clear waiver process before becoming a free agent (so he could end up on any team). After clearing waivers he becomes a free agent and can sign with a team of his choice. As to Smoove not being bought out I guess it was just to avoid the negotiation process completely and just get it over with, but I don't know.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Didn't Sanders come out and say publicly that he did not want to play basketball anymore?

If his head was on straight and he wanted to play as a backup to Howard or even as a starter if Howard can't go at a league minimum it would be a no brainer.

Sanders is an analytics wet dream in paint defense.

A motivated Sanders similar to a motivated Smith would be a godsend.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We can at least count on Joey Dorsey to show up for the games. Sanders could be the next Hakeem talent-wise (which he's not) but if he's a head case, then he's no better than a ballboy.

18. kooguyjohn

kooguyjohn Member

I rather have amare

19. knucklehead3321

Me too... I think he'd be perfect in pick and roll plays, and an upgrade over dorsey. Dont know why the rockets havent been mentioned as possible destinations. Dallas, gsw, clippers, spurs, and phoenix have all been mentioned with dallas supposedly the frontrunner. I'd love to take him just so cuban cant get him.

BTW BabySeal he's a little bit of eddie griffin, royce white, mike vick, all in one I could be totally wrong but, I dont see him playing in this league again...he's a talented headcase.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Doubt he is getting all the cash....
    probably be doing well to get half.

The 'guaranteed' money is on the Bucks cap, Sanders part of the contract no doubt involves playing bball, training, travelling, punctuality, team functions + more. They can suspend him without pay for violating terms - but the 'guarantee' means he has the same cap hit.