1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Larry Lightning] Player Rankings By Position

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketfan21, Aug 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

We would have been swept by Portland last year if you replaced Howard with Noah. Aldridge would have looked like the 2nd coming of Amare-Stoudemire-vs-SA-in-2005 if Noah was on him.

Why is it premature to put Davis at #1? Did Davis make the All-Star team last year? Did Davis lead the league in blocks per game last year? Did he post a 26.5 PER last year? I'm not saying he's the best PF in the league but your reasoning as to why he's not #1 is weird.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not that I agreed with the voting, but it should be mentioned that Joakim Noah did get voted as Best Center in the All NBA Team voting for 2014. He beat Howard by a substantial margin.

Griffin and Love were #1 and 2 at PF, unless you count Lebron as PF.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Noah over Howard is just ridiculous. I like Noah but Howard is clearly the best center in the League.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

5. VBG

VBG Member

I completely disagree here even though I think Howard is the superior overall player.

Noah is a much better matchup on Aldridge IMO. He has quicker feet and more energy to contest those jumpers and make life tough.

6. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

Holy **** this list is bad. Griffin below Love and Aldridge? Duncan 5th? Bosh is a center?

7. dacodeman

dacodeman Member

I really enjoyed reading your rankings op. Whether I agreed with your rankings or not, your reasoning was sound. I generally only read top 3 and then skim the rest, but your organization and delivery were both captive and clear. I read all of it and look forward to the next 3.

Thanks!

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Are you disagreeing that we would have been swept or that Aldridge would have destroyed Noah?

Either way, you replace Howard with Noah you're losing a LOT of scoring (Howard was averaging 26 ppg) that Noah couldn't make up by himself no matter how great you think his defense was (btw, Nene was shooting 54.8% against him in the playoffs).

9. Remii

Remii Member

That's hard to judge considering the style of play and the other offensive talent Howard had on the floor with him (Harden and Parsons). Noah doesn't have that in Chicago which makes it easier for opposing teams to pack the paint.

I think Howard is the better player _ but I don't believe the Rockets would be worst off if they had Noah instead of Howard and they may would be just as good if not better if they had Marc Gasol instead of Howard.

10. VBG

VBG Member

Sorry, should have been more specific. No way I think Noah makes us better. I think there's an argument for Marc Gasol because he demands the ball less and doesn't mind playing the pick and roll (my biggest knock on Dwight is his weird PnR hatred when that was a huge part of what made him dominant in Orlando).

Noah would have guarded Aldridge better IMO. Offensively, Dwight is so much better. Hell, defensively, it's a wash IMO. Noah is just a little bit better out in the perimeter while Dwight is better down low.

Nene is a brutal matchup because healthy Nene is really strong and the Nene - Gortat frontcourt could be as physical as the Gibson - Noah frontcourt.

11. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Yes, yes, and yes! Noah has zero offense. I love his hustle but best center, come on. Its the Rudy lovers (the movie not the drinker) that want to perpetuate the lie that if you work hard, you can achieve anything. Like Dwight Howard's foot work, no matter how much he works on it, he will never be the Dream.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Sorry, but you are speaking STRAIGHT from your ass.

There is nothing to suggest that every GM values Gasol over Howard. You're forgetting that Memphis lost in the first round as well.

Howard played like an elite superstar in the playoffs. It's not his fault the rest of the team hardly showed up. Howard lead the 09 Orlando team by himself to the FINALS. Not the second round, not the W or ECF, but the actual finals. Has Gasol done this alone? Absolutely not.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Now you're speaking straight out your @**... Lol...
    Howard's teammates were ballin out of control that year. They were making it rain from the outside like Harden at a strip club which left the paint wide open for Howard. A couple of those guys had a All-Star caliber year that year.

So Howard getting Orlando to the finals by himself is far from the truth. Especially considering the fact that once they got to the finals _ Gasol and Bynum took turns shutting him down.

14. VBG

VBG Member

They had Rafaer at PG. The Hedo + Rashard combo did play quite well though but in terms of a supporting cast for a Finals team they're still really weak.

Dwight put up 40 - 14 - 4 on 21 shots and just 2 turnovers in game 6 to eliminate Lebron (Lebron arguably had the greatest individual effort in a losing series ever).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RWRgOwC2jw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Come on man. Give Dwight his credit. He also made a Rafaer - rookie Courtney Lee - Hedo Turk - Rashard Lewis lineup elite defensively which on its own is insane.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

He was putting up 20-20s during his time in Orlando, if his team mates were indeed making it rain as you say why couldn't they make it rain against the Lakers?

This is the same argument people said against LBJ when he was in Cleveland, bad players are bad. Rashard Lewis making 20M is bad, Hero Turkuglu making 12M is bad Jameer Nelson making 9M is bad. None of those guys defended or were able to score efficiently once they met good competition.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I've decided that I'm only going to respond to your idiotic posts with gifs from now on since words can't really express how I feel about your thoughts. Let's start with this one:

[​IMG]

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

HUH? Perhaps you're forgetting the disappearance act put on by Jameer and Hedo...They had "all-star" caliber years because D Howard was leading them to the finals. Without Howard, NONE of their success was attainable. It's ludicrous to suggest that anyone other than Howard was chiefly responsible for the success of that team, utterly ridiculous.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I thought you were being sarcastic at first. You're serious? One of the worst teams to make the finals and Howard is the only reason they were there. The East being weak would be a better argument. Howard did beat Celtics big 3 and Lebron that year. Trust me that was all Howard.

Hedo Turkoglu
    Rashard Lewis
    Jameer Nelson
    Rafer Alston
    Courtney Lee
    Mickael Pietrus
    Keith Bogans

Oh and why do you think these guys shot well? Could it be they had a dominate center in the middle?

19. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Because there is nothing interesting to talk about Dwight and Noah's offensive games.

Noah is a better passer, and Dwight is a better pnr player (MAYBE post up).

imo, Dwight if willingly to play pnr, is a better player than Noah because of his offense games, but otherwise, he's inferior because Noah is better on passing and equal or better at D.

20. chandlerbang21

So many here didn't watch bulls games last season. Noah is a complete player so he gets the nod over Dwight.