1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Coon lowers the boom on JB and any Utah Offers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Nivos

Nivos Member

If you're referring to my age group then not really. I'm 34. If there's some kind of hidden joke there so sorry man, didnt caught on that :)

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The rich people I work with love people like you and BJ. Extremely easy to take advantage of people that aren't interested in reading the fine print.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes was just thinking thats another angle to consider. Maybe D-Mo & BJ ALREADY KNEW he was ONLY guaranteed a base, and ALREADY know incentives are just highly UNLIKELY sweetener with little expectations to getting them. And they're griping just for the principle

Or there's more to their gripe than just the unlikely incentives
    - Like the Utah bigger offer angle
    - Or its a combination of it all together, all the turn-aways, frustrations, and knowing more could be had

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

I ask because you said, "....the rockets owning up and add the incentives like doing him a favour" sounds like millennial mentality. I wish someone would do me a favor that's potentially worth $6 million whenever I make a mistake because "its the right thing to do".

FANfrom86toNow and MorningZippo like this.
  5. Nivos

Nivos Member

Hey I am a simple man. For me a hand shake is worth more than a thousand signatures on paper. I'm lucky to work directly with them and not having to go through the lawyers and the Morey's. Most of them are straight forward and will be straight with you as long as it goes both ways. But again, like you guys said, those are the rules and the team didn't break any rules. Just smells funny to me, that's all.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont really believe you, millionaires and billionaires are pretty smart they wont say stupid things like "dont complicate stuff I dont care about the rest how much do I put in my pocket?" The only rich people who do that are people who inherited money from their parents and have no ****ing idea what they're doing.

Millionaires and billionaires lnow that deals can become really complicated, thats why they bring around lawyers and advisors who will break these things down to them in a way they understand, they dont pretend they understand everything by themselves and they sure as hell wont say **** like I dont care about anything else but the money I take home, in fact they pay people who can understand these complicated things and explain to them all the intricasies in a simple way because they understand the world is never simple, especially when it comes to contracts there are loopholes and possible risks in the terms.

Dmo and BJ knew the contract was 31M with 6M incentives. BJ should have known there was a risk Morey wont match his 6M incentives, but they went ahead and signed the offer sheet anyway. For them to cry about it now is pretty dumb, this is why DMo has an agent, the agent should have realized all these before.

DonKnock and MorningZippo like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

This has nothing to do with honor or handshakes or whatever, it has everything to do with negotiations between two parties with varying interests.

Nobody complicates deals for the sake of it if the deal is done in good faith, the complications arise because of different factors in this case those factors would be DMo's health and the Rox desire to preserve maximum capspace. Morey is a statistician not a lawyer, given a choice he would also like simple yes or no contracts. There are always reasons why contracts become complicated, and its not because somebody just wants to be a wise ass lmao

8. Nivos

Nivos Member

Oooh it's starting to feel like a D&D thread and that's on me for bringing my personal life into it.
    Sorry guys.

roslolian likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah sorry for going off topic too. but to be honest there's almost nothing left to day about DMo here until.further developments hapoen

Nivos likes this.
  10. Nivos

Nivos Member

My take of that from the beginning was that D-mo signed the deal with the Nets not knowing that the Match will be 31 mil. So it got everything to do with honor and trust. Rockets used a rule that I'm convinced the player didn't know about (thus should fire his agent) and used the situation against him.
    That's how it looks in my eyes at least.
    The team have every right to do so, but it's still smells bad.
    I guess I'm the only one here thinking that so probably my sense of smell is quite different

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So, you're saying that ignorance should be rewarded?

If I had no idea how buying a house worked and thought that my offer was for the entire house, furniture and all, and then showed up to an empty house, you're saying I have the right to complain that the furniture wasn't included even though the contract said that the furniture wouldn't be included?

"I toured a house with furniture in it. I thought I was getting everything!"

Are you saying the seller should give me all of their furniture because I didn't read the contract and I really want it?

xtruroyaltyx, DonKnock and ElPigto like this.
  12. ribbit

ribbit Member

If DMo becomes a RFA, do you think there's a team out there that will still offer DMo $37M, or at least $31M? IMO, if I'm another team who wants to offer DMo a contract, I can now low ball the offer after all this mess.

Sorry if I missed anything.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm use to a different Rockets forum. It usually displayed more space than when you actually posted. Then it would leave a scattered mess. Thanks for the advice.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  14. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Supposedly Utah wants D-Mo. Utah has a payroll of about $80 million. (Salary Cap approx
    $94.14 mil). So if Utah wants to jerk the Rockets around to keep a fellow contender from
    bettering themselves by taking one of theirs. They may do it. Now Utah knows what Houston
    was willing to match....$31 mil w/o incentives. This is why I don't care for putting D-Mo back
    on the market. Utah can now adjust their strategy and money structure. I would try to withhold
    as much pay while keeping his rights for as long as I can. It's tricky because if I'm Houston,
    D-Mo knows I (me personally) want to free up money to have more flexibility to make a trade
    or trades. D-Mo knows he can wait me out.....to an extent. He may not get paid in the time
    being. Both parties lose....imo. Utah could cut Withey non guaranteed contract or
    but out Bolomboy cheap

#174 Jatman20, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    ribbit likes this.
  15. Nivos

Nivos Member

If the agent that sold me the house told me that it comes with the furniture before I signed on it. And if the furniture's value is so important to my decision of buying the house (let's say 20% of my investment), then yes, after discovering the house is empty, I will try and avoid the contract. I will do everything in my power to get what I was led to believe I'm getting before the purchase and then sue the hell out of the agent.

JJWhat? likes this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well to me there's really no trust or honor issues here, it's all ignorance on DMo and his agent's part on thinking Rox will pay 37M when they have to pay only 31M.

Rox didnt really abuse or use any rule here IMHO, they just matched the base contract which is 31M. There is no limit to the incentives a team can give you, you can have a contract which pays you just 300k or whatever the minimum is but the incentives can make it up to 30M or whatever the NBa max is so I dont think the Rox are violating any terms of honor here. What if all the incentives are team goals instead of based on ondividual performance? Nets are a crappy team but the Rox are on a roll, maybe they dont want to pay an extra 6M for Dmo when he will just sit on the bench.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Nets were the ones who had the incentives, not the Rockets the Rox didnt promise DMo they wil pay all his incentives, even the Nets didnt say the incentives were guaranteed. If the contract says the furniture is optional and may be taken out, its ur fault for assuming they will still be in the house when you made ur purchase, no?

18. ribbit

ribbit Member

Thank you for this. Makes me want to hate Utah more if they do that.

Jatman20 likes this.
  19. Nivos

Nivos Member

Fair enough.
    The Rockets side is very easy to understand. I'm trying to show you guys why D-mo feels cheated and why the Rockets still get a bad reputation from all this even though they did everything by the rules.
    I can see Morey's grin goes wider and wider when he reads that contract.
    How many of you got screwed by the Banks or by insurance companies over technicalities? It's in their rights. They make it so complicated that you don't even understand that your getting screwed. When you do find out you get so pissed off and going to another company, just out of principle, even if you're going to lose money by doing so.
    The Rockets already have a reputation in the league for treating people like assets. Now they might get a reputation of the banker. This is not a good reputation to have in a world where the common people (the players) actually have power.
    Again, not putting it on the Rockets.
    If grading faults here it's: BJ>D-mo>media conspiracy>Rockets.
    But sometimes you have to understand that in a world when relationships matters, being right is not always enough, and being fair goes a long way.

Kiddsir likes this.
  20. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

[QUOTE="
    But sometimes you have to understand that in a world when relationships matters, being right is not always enough, and being fair goes a long way.[/QUOTE]
    This is so true. We'll see the wisdom of rockets management than just smart.