1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Larry Coon] Houston cap situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 3, 2013.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Miami won't be able to sign Lebron and Bosh with Beasley and Daequan Cook on the roster. No sir.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Not keen on giving up Asik to get Howard.

3. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

Me neither, but unless you can guarantee me that we're getting Love in 2015, then he's our best shot at becoming a contender.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

In any event if we do get Dwight there will be a lot of "Missing U:" threads that will pop up. Even though I know Dwight makes the Rockets contenders I might post in that Missing U: Omer Asik thread...

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's a Laker fan.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

We're not letting go of Parsons, Dwight's not coming here.

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Agree with Bima. When it comes to big free agent signings its almost always sign and trade.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

your partially correct but wrong, but your misunderstanding what coon was saying... He says we can only offer 18.2mill because he believes that's all the cap space we have but like some have mentioned, we can trade a player for a future pick and have the cap space to offer 21.5mill...
    When i said tax payers i was inferring over the addition teams, my bad on that... But lakers can receive a player in a SnT that they sign... But seeing as they are over the apron, they cannot receive say delfino from us if we were to SnT him to lakers... They can't receive a player signed by another team if they are over the apron...

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Can you guys imagine how epic the Carl Herrera meltdown will be when we release/give up more rotation players? I want to see it happen just for that. If PatPat made him lose his mind like he has just wait and see...

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

The Greg Smith/delfino meltdown would be of epic proportions...

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Stern was talking about a 20% revenue increase for this season, even if the whole amount didn't come to fruition, the cap is going to have a fair chunk above this years.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Getting Dwight doesn't have to be via S&T, though. As others said, it's the same contract for Dwight either way. While they could just trade TRob to the Lakers for Dwight, they don't have to and, quite frankly, I wouldn't want them to do that. If the Rockets can create the cap room through other means, there is no incentive to deal with the Lakers.

Trade the good young player(s) to another team. Get picks (instead of "just" Dwight). Screw the Lakers! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  13. basketballholic

Yup. I hear an echo. But after last night I'm wondering if we shouldn't trade all of our youngsters except Parsons and Jones.

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

How do people knowledgeable enough about the old S&T rules still not know about the new S&T rules? It's brought up literally every time we talk about Dwight. Blows my mind that so many people are still spreading misinformation.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I have to say I do admire what Kupchak has done. Either he has Howard to build around or he has only 9 million devoted to the 2014 offseason. With LAL being a preferred destination, cap space means a lot more to them than most teams.

Is it bad to want Kobe to keep playing so he ruins the LAL cap?

16. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Or we could trade for Love this summer....

17. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I really don't want Howard or Bynum!

The difference between Howard and Asik is much smaller compared to the PF and whoever we have. So we could have ~28 mill at a position we are above average at or spend ~max at a position that we are well below average.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't want any piece of Howard. He's been a disappointment for the Lakers considering their fighting for their lives just to make the playoffs. He'll demand way too much money compared to Asik. He'll need the ball on offense way too often. He's coming off of back surgery. And he takes away all our cap space which could be used far more efficiently.

19. faraza84

faraza84 Member

We could just trade a few of our pfs to make room. The one person I don't think could be traded is Royce, but I wonder if we could use the player injury exception stating he isn't mentally healthy and somehow get him off the books or is that only done if your over the cap.

Of all the non guaranteed I can only see us holding on to parsons and smith. Everyone else is gone on draft day so I'm not worried. Plus all the non guaranteed we will drop are replaceable.

20. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Even though I am a Lin fan, under the current Rockets system, I think it would make more sense for Rockets to trade Lin and/or Parsons who will be asking for a lot more money soon. But I don't think Howard is worth all that money though, and Asik can reach 80% of Howard's effectiveness next season.