1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry coon discussed lebron to rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 9, 2018.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Screw Larry Coon, we already have some people like @aelliott and @BimaThug who are much smarter to ask for salary cap info

BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

If you put Rudy Gay, Larry coon, and rashard hunter on the same team, you’ll have a line up of Gay Coon Hunter

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kevin Love and Luther Head.

Gay Love Coon head hunter.

iNoseBleedRed likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's amusing to see the "cap experts" consistently proven wrong when it comes to Daryl Morey.

5. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I have all the games now but I bought a 3DO new on closeout for like $50 and 20 games for about the same. I was such an idiot and thought I would have time to play but nope. I need to sell all that crap. That could be a business for someone right there.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Larry Coon is a Lakers fan but he is THE cap guy.

His Salary Cap FAQ is the standard for cap questions.

Short of one or both of CP3 or LeBron taking i big paycut, it will be extremely difficult for Houston to acquire Lebron.

it's not impossible but there's quite a few moving parts and there's a specific timeframe to make it all happen.

The best opportunity for the Rockets is if LeBron opts into the final year of his current deal and is traded to us.

The unknown is what LeBron wants to do. If he definitely wants Houston then there's a chance. If he's undecided and ends up not opting in them out chances get much worse.

7. noppeper

noppeper Member

There were plenty of great non-fighters as well, such as Metal Slug series, Last Resort, Windjammers, Baseball Stars 2, Ninja Commando, Neo Turfmasters, Shocktroopers, etc.

And if you think $200 is too much for back in the day, you should see what some of these games go for in the second hand collector market:

https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-unexpectedly-high-stakes-world-of-neo-geo-collecting

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Am I the only one who just heard Larry Coon agree with BimaThug and aelliott 100%? I mean, he even agreed with the difficulty by mentioning the 3rd team, realistic requirement that aelliott charted, which makes it more difficult than the 2-team Paul/Clippers trade.

From my seats, Bima and aelliott have been describing the same need for Opt-in then trade scenario, which makes Coon's statements somewhat Cpt Obvious stuff from our perspective, but (due to Coon's stature among capologists) is further confirmation that Bima/aelliott's have exhausted all possible scenarios to come to same conclusions -- wrt difficulty factors being higher than the Paul trade.

In a nutshell, getting Lebron has the difficulty factor of getting Carmelo last year, but with added problem that it all must happen at the speed of the Paul trade....before July.

D-rock, francis 4 prez, amaru and 7 others like this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

But Melo wasn’t free agent and had 2 years left on his deal. Lebron can pick us making it easier

It has been said that if Lebron says yes, Morey makes it happen

#29 sammy, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    RudyTBag likes this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, that's exactly what Coon said. But Morey couldn't make Anderson to a third team happen last year when Melo said yes. I'm glad he didn't, but weren't we confident he tried?

Anyhoot, my only reason to jump in here was to point out that Coon, Bima and aelliott are all saying the same thing:
    1. Lebron agreeing to Opt-in like Paul is most likely,
    2. Cleveland doesn't take contracts they don't want is most likely required, and
    3. third team to take Ryan is most likely.
    In sum, that describes the moving parts for the combined difficulty of the Paul trade and Melo trade.​

That's what all three have said. Don't @ me.

D-rock likes this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That’s fair, but there are still major differences

Melo said yes but he wasn’t a free agent. He couldn’t leverage the cap space another team has to force himself out. Cavs rebuild is better and faster if they get assets back. Morey and his staff are working around the clock to figure out what a suitable deal looks like.

#31 sammy, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    bmo and RudyTBag like this.
  12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed but what Coon said was in line with what our posters have said. Why the hate?

13. thething

thething Contributing Member

Plus Melo is not the player Lebron is. If Morey was willing to do whatever it took to get him, Melo would be a rocket. I’m sure Morey is willing to give up assets in this deal that he wouldn’t last year, but with the higher difficulty factor, we’ll see if it’s enough.

DonKnock, bmo, joshuaao and 1 other person like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

2 differences with lebron vs melo...

1) according to zach lowe, morey didn't really want melo but had to play along to make CP3 think he at least tried to get his buddy. so we're not 100% sure DM couldn't really unload ryno last summer
    2) CLE cannot just trade lebron somewhere other than his chosen destination like NY was able to do w/ melo. because lebron would just go straight to free agency instead, so in this case lebron holds all the cards over his current team. they either take back picks in a trade of his choice or lose him for nothing

Manos, DonKnock, bmo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The hope is that Morey has already talked to Sacramento, Atlanta, Chicago, Brooklyn etc to see what Anderson+picks (potential salary sent back) moves can be done. Play the teams off each other to give up (take back) the least negative.

And that Morey has already "shopped" EG to help Cleveland if they want to move EG "right away." That said, while the Cavs don't want to take back salary, I don't think they HAVE to ship EG "right away." They can hold onto him and ship him before the season or at the trade deadline. With his production and salary he could easily get a 1st round pick.

And of course, the Rockets have to get the buy in from Lebron to do the opt in. And that is probably the toughest part.

With CP, it was just a "two team" deal. Easier to work out. Having to get a 3rd team for Anderson and do it quickly really makes it much more difficult.

16. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Wasn't there some thought that morey never really wanted to acquire melo...therefore maybe he didn't really shop ryan Anderson with the same urgency that he would this year for lebron.

bmo likes this.
  17. baubo

baubo Member

Bobby Marks said according to one team the cost for Anderson was 2 1st rounders. That’s last year so presumably this year will be slightly cheaper.

2 1sts for Melonw would’ve been overpay even before we knew he sucked that bad. Morey though would pay 2 1sts to dump Anderson in a second this year if it means LeBron.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wasn't. I did not believe Morey was willing to trade two future 1sts to potential Anderson takers if the upside was Melo. (And even if he were, the soonest picks he could trade were 2020 and 2022, the earliest of which was 3 years away.) And that was with Anderson at 3 years/$60 million.

This summer, Morey is attempting to trade Anderson at 2 years/$40 million... and my guess is he's willing to move two future 1sts (since the upside is LeBron), and one of those picks will be the very next year.

No guarantee it works out, but I don't think the parallel to the Carmelo situation is really there. IMO, the Rockets wanted Carmelo if the cost was Ryan Anderson, but they weren't willing to deal assets beyond Ryno to get it done. They would for LeBron.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'm far more interested about the end of the video. Already sent in my application & cover letter for the Sports Business Classroom.

This is my way in y'all.