1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Brown to coach Bobcats

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thelasik, Apr 29, 2008.

1. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3373007

Over/under 2 years before he quits?

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

That was quick... I had him pegged for Dallas... but then Brown likes to build and Cuban wants too much control in the player moves...

I think Brown does some good with these guys...

I bet he gets a good "big name" trade to go down now... maybe someone from Detroit...

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I am really happy for LB to get back coaching. I cant wait for the feuds between LB and players OR LB and MJ which will start a media frenzy. It will be a better drama than Desperate Housewives.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If they resign Okafur, get back at least serviceable players in Adam Morrison (who maybe worked on his jumpshot while injured?) and Sean May, and use their lottery pick to find someone who can provide some decent minutes...

in the East, not next year, but the following season, playoffs is not out of the question at all.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

^^^^

I agree, that team has talent, I like this.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

i would have a low buyout.

8. ABtheTerrorist

I totally did not see this coming!

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

AI to the Bobcats?

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

This is a good move for the Bobcats. They don't need someone to coach for 10+ years, they need a good coach to bring them into respectability and show them what it takes to have a winning team.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

huh? Larry Brown is a mercenary.

<ol><li>He makes the crappy teams better, if not the best they've ever been, for a few season by burning the candle at both ends.</li><li>The media portrays him as a miracle worker.</li><li>The team regresses...</li><li>Larry Brown quites.</li><li>Team is worse than it was when he started</li></ol>
    While he might bring them to "respectability," he has left many teams in shabbles upon exit. Going by the history of what Larry Brown has done to teams, when he leaves, there is just as good a shot the team will be worse as better.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can help a young team but I can't stand him......and know him personally.

DD

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He will quit by next summer or if the team really sucks he will develop cancer and retire before the All Star break.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It doesn't make sense how a coach who presumably could nab a job coaching a championship caliber team would take the helm for a team that is decidedly not ready for the big time.

It does make him a contrast to a Phil Jackson type who only seems interested in coaching teams with championship possibilities. It might be more fair to call this the Pat Riley type. At least Phil took the Lakers job the second time probably knowing that they'd have a rough year before they got back into any kind of competitive shape rosterwise.

Is it the challenge that appeals to Brown or have his actual options diminished because of his fickle sense of commitment. Does he believe that the Bobcats (or even the Knicks a couple years ago) have a shot at being coached into something championship worthy?

Larry Brown has to be one of the more interesting coaches in the league. Who has him all figured out like we seem to with other coaches?

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What's interesting about this is LB is 67 years old. He will be there two years, max. Hiring a 67 year-old LB to coach a young team like the Bobcats is a bad idea. They should have waited to see if Avery Johnson or Tom Thibadeaux became available.

Bad move by the Bobcats. This might be a no-win situation for them. What will help them more than anything is a healthy Sean May. He has serious NBA game if he can stay healthy. I don't have much hope for Adam Morrison, who will be a 6th/7th man at best and was a terrible draft pick.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I do agree, i've been disappointed for May, I love his game also and morrison was a reach at that pick. shooters are great to have on your team, but you can't spend high draft picks on guys who are only there to shoot.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imo, it's purely economics. LB generally always produces more wins initially for young teams, and the fans get all excited about him. He is a celebrity coach. The media will follow him. He can fill seats.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

It makes sense that the showrunners in Charlotte would want Larry Brown for the reasons you said. What doesn't make sense is why he would want control of that team particularly.

Money is a good answer to an extent. Maybe no one else offered him that much. Still, couldn't he have waited a few more weeks until more jobs open up? Did Brown decide he wouldn't get more money elsewhere? Why would he make that decision? What information led him to that decision?

That's why he's interesting to me.

It's less interesting to say something like "He wanted to live in the city of Charlotte" but that could work. It would just be boring to talk about.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I think this spells the end of May in Charlotte. LB is a disciplinarian. He will be riding May's hefty hind end to get him to hustle and lose weight, etc. I think May will dig in against it and will want out.

And I have some doubts about Morrison surviving there. But I like his odds much better than May, simply because Morrison is a basketball lover and he wants to play and be good. I think he has the mentality to become a much improved player under Larry Brown. Or.............if not, maybe we can trade for him for a little bit of nothing. (Don't tell anybody but despite his horrible shooting statistics in his rookie season, Adam Morrison is a big time scorer and will be a big time scorer in the NBA. He is a very offensively talented player. IMO, Morrison is just the type of 6th man that would THRIVE big time under a coach like Adelman and the Princeton offense.)

Jordan's hiring of LB was a very shrewd move. He knows he ain't gonna be there very long, but LB will accomplish two things:

1. He will establish a team defensive identity and turn them into a top 5 defensive team. I think they are gonna re-sign Okafor and I think LB is going to turn Okafor into the next Zo. Okafor already has a good defensive base. LB is going to make him top notch.

2. LB will weed out the winners from the losers and MJ will then know who he has to get rid of.

Once LB accomplishes these two things, Jordan can then turn the team over to a younger "Avery Johnson" type coach that will be able to continue to provide the discipline but will add the youthful connect element that old school guys like LB seems to skip on.

MJ is going to turn Charlotte into a long term winner.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I am with you heypartner. LB destroys teams.

However, I don't think the Bobcats can regress any further. They do have a chance to learn how to play playoff ball. There are no playoff coaches willing to take on the Bobcats.