1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Bird Lays Down the Smack

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dandorotik, Mar 12, 2014.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Good for him! When Larry speaks, you listen:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...stions-indiana-pacers-aggressiveness-approach

The Indiana Pacers may have the Eastern Conference's best record, but Larry Bird still has significant concerns about the team.

In an interview with The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday, the Pacers' president said he's been disappointed with the team's approach at times this season.

"A lot of times, we don't take the fight to them [the opponent]," Bird told the Star. "A lot of times we sit back and wait and see how it goes. And that was the case even when we were winning a lot of games early in the season. We've got to be mentally prepared to really go after the teams we're playing against. We can't have the mindset it's just another game; it's a very important game. All of them are."

Larry Bird told The Indianapolis Star that coach Frank Vogel has "to start going after guys when they're not doing what they're supposed to do."

The Pacers (47-17) snapped a season-high four-game losing skid Tuesday night against the Boston Celtics. But Bird, speaking with the Star before the game, said his concerns stretched well before Indiana's recent struggles.

"People ask me if I'm mad at them," Bird told the Star. "I'm not mad. I'm disappointed."

Bird supports coach Frank Vogel but also believes that Vogel needs to be more aggressive with the players.

"I'm sort of going to Frank's side because he's had so much success by staying positive," Bird said. "We do have to stay the course. But I also think he's got to start going after guys when they're not doing what they're supposed to do. And stay on them, whether you've got to take them out of the game when they're not doing what they're supposed to do, or limit their minutes. I will say, he hasn't done that enough."

Bird also believes the players -- several of whom have garnered more media spotlight with the Pacers leading the East all season -- must be more focused.

"I was around this in Boston all the time," Bird told the Star. "I just laugh about it; it's a new world for a lot of these kids. They've somehow got to block it out and stay focused. Sometimes, I think, they're not 100 percent committed to their jobs."

For now, Bird said he still has faith in the team, which saw Andrew Bynum make his debut against the Celtics and brought aboard guard Evan Turner at the trade deadline.

"One thing I'd be nervous about is pointing fingers," Bird told the Star. "'Well, so-and-so isn't doing this or that.' I haven't seen that yet, but that's a sure sign you've got a problem."

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Damn man, I hate when my mom pulls that crap on me. I'd rather her just be mad!! Larry Bird is like a parent trying to motivate his children.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Larry Bird should be disappointed in himself for screwing this up.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well IMHO it's easy to sit back and criticize the players, you look at Charles Barkley talking smack in the studio and it's like he wasn't the dude who was always out of shape, coasted on talent and never played D.

In this case Bird's laying the smack down to be honest he's the reason the team was in a funk, how could they not be when he brings loose cannons like Bynum and Turner on the team? Hibbert may not be the most gifted center to ever play but you can't fault his work ethic and passion for B-Ball, the dude spent the summer with TD and the Spurs staff working on his game (that seemed crazy to me but whatevs). Bynum's the antethesis of that, dude's got enough talent to be in the HOF but he didn't take care of his body and doesn't even like bball, and Turner's too concerned about his next contract to worry about winning. I'm not saying those two are the main reasons the Pacers are in a funk but they've got something to do with it, the Pacers started their downward spiral the minute they got into the team.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Not sure they are reasons at all.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So he's pointing fingers, but glad the team isn't?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought the Pacers had the best chemistry and were supposed to be a like a family. Bird the grandpa is not trying to get the kids' heads to screw on right. That's all good and dandy. But Bird also have to bear some blame for the screw ups in the Turner and Bynum deals.

8. izeroi

izeroi Member

They're not.

9. hardLINer

hardLINer Member

i actually think the bynum trade was not a blow. he looked good versus boston and i think he is a good fit. not sure if you can blame the latest issues on bynum

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Only way they win it all is if Larry suits up

11. smr6

smr6 Member

Defense can't be much worse than Evan Turner's

12. adobo

adobo Member

I give props for Bird speaking up. I think this is what the pacers team needed to get back on track. You had some motivation issues and certain individuals focusing on personal agenda's too much in that stretch.

I guess it worked to a certain extent since they won there game yesterday albeit against the celtics....but I would be expecting a resurgence from them

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He looked nice. No defense (not yet at least) but a legit offensive presence. If he can give 10 minutes when Scola is having a bad night, it would be a big boost.

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think the article came out after the game.

Either way, it's good timing by Bird. They are getting healthier, the schedule is getting a bit lighter, a few rest days.

I remember Lakers and Knicks having drama and players meetings when they were all banged up and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. That never works. Got to wait for that light to show up.

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Throw him against Miami and you get a massive gamechanger. Indiana is so damn versatile, they just need to put it together.

16. xAliceInChains

They dun goofed trading Granger, it had to take an effect on the locker room, enough to throw them into a mini slump.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barkley did anything but coast, and he maximized his talent to an absurd degree at 6-5...