1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Bird chooses Kobe over Lebron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bullardfan, Feb 7, 2012.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It figures this podcast would become all about Kobe vs Lebron.

This is a 40 minute podcast where Bill S and Larry Bird talked about a lot of fun and interesting things. I haven't heard an interview with Bird like this ever. It was an awesome interview -- probably one of Bill's favorites, if not the favorite. Can you imagine interviewing you childhood hero like that? It was very loose and easy going. Bird definitely sounded comfortable. They even talked about the Superbowl at the beginning. They talk a lot about the '80s and specific moments. He says one thing about Len Bias that I never heard him say before.

Bird made one passing comment about Kobe and Lebron (probably 30 seconds of the 40 minute podcast) and ESPN makes it all about the boring who's best argument.

btw: the title is wrong. Bird was not asked who was better; he was saying he'd rather play a season with Kobe, because he respects his dedication to the game.

2. SPF35

SPF35 Member

thats true, Magic is closer to Lebron than anyone in style and in the 90s many would say the same arguments about kobe and MJ being ball hogs, bad teammates ,etc bc of their attitudes and their compliments of being the hardest owrks and most intense players. Mj was in his whole level of course but just in terms of similar style. Magic was a do it all guy like lebron, but less athletic but also a big PGstyle like like lebron, difference being Magic also says he would never do what lebron did the way he did, goto antoher wing similar styles, arguably better and let him take over in the 4th. Great teams need great players, but in your own position who closes games basically overlap in getting the guys who are your direct competitors rather than complimenting you its more easing the load off of you. And magic doesn't shy away in the clutch thats why 3 out of the 4 guys above have multiple titles

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Lebron plays his position... Of course he would choose Kobe in that regard....Nothing to see here!!!!

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Yeah, you can't really argue this. Until LBJ proves otherwise, nobody can argue with Bird on this. Nobody.

5. Prince

Prince Member

6. BleedRocketsRed

LBJ is the better player at this point but Kobe has had the better career mainly because he is a proven winner and a more fierce competitor. Which one would you rather have as your teammate? THE GUY WHO WINS.

I lived in LA when he almost single-handedly took D-League teams to the Western Conference postseason. He is just one of the toughest players I have ever witnessed. And I can't say the same about Princess James.

7. VBG

VBG Member

Lebron took a D-League team to the NBA Finals in 07. So there goes your argument.

Look at the Cavs after he left as well. Only a 40 game difference in wins...

8. what

what Member

lebron will get his ring this year i think. most likely the finals will be okc v heat and the heat will have the experience to take down okc in 6 games. yeah for lebron.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The guy who wins or the guy that's a part of winning teams? Because I don't think anyone is giving Pau Gasol, Kevin McHale, Scottie Pippen or Clyde Drexler the title of "the guy who wins" and all of those players had as much to do with their titles as Kobe had to do for his first 3. LeBron still has plenty of time to be "that guy" twice like Kobe is.

11. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I dont know about now, but a few years back I thought Lebron was the one peron who could have be better than Jordan. His skillset is just on another level I dont not think we ever had a player of his skillset, and most likely never will. I'll put it this way if Jordan had all Lerbon's skillset I think he would have been even better, and I know that sounds crazy.

12. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I do not think anyone in their right mind can say Kobe is the better player at this point in is career. You could make a case for a prime Kobe and that is about it. And also clear that Kobe has had the better career so far.

13. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

That's not an original quote. And I don't get why the other quote was original and this one was like this. I don't trust it unless someone has the podcast.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I didn't listen to the podcast, but here it is if you're looking for an exact quote:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=7548026

15. TheresTheDagger

Sum it up this way:

Kobe is as good as he is because of his determination.

Lebron is as goo as he is in spite of his determination.

16. Hui

Hui Member

Kobe has a few rings while Lebron has none as yet in this point of time

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The second sentence really isn't true. It implies that all LeBron has is his athletic ability and that's as false as can be. He is quite fundamentally sound and he's improved quite a bit since he came into the league.

18. BleedRocketsRed

Lol that Cavs finals team ( to the finals was actually pretty good). All-Star big in Big Z, solid starters in Hughes/Gooden. Daniel Gibson who led the team to victory in Game 6 against Detroit.

Outside of Odom, Kobe had..........
    Kwame Brown
    Smush Parker
    Brian Cook
    Lube Walton
    Devean George
    Chris Mihm

All playing big minutes.

19. BleedRocketsRed

And do you seriously think that the Cavs team the following season was the same supporting cast LBJ had?

They lost Z, Shaq. Mo Williams was often injured/hurt prior to getting traded.

Just smh at how uniformed you are.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If Lebron slipped to mid first round and ended up throwing a hissy fit to get traded to play under Tim duncan (the equivalent of essentially getting late 90's, ealy 00's Shaq), he'd have gone more than 3 peat, so those first 3 rings as a "winner" are meh.

The last 2, yeah Kobe was the bone fide leader, but there's a sizable age gap going on.