1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tracy McIverson, Dec 18, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tracy McIverson

I'm about to start a new job where the standard issue laptop is a Dell Latitude E7440. For one reason or another, they are giving me the option to choose a more powerful laptop and I get to pick. It has to be a Dell though.

Any advice or recomended options? I'm not a Dell user normally so I appreciate it.

2. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

If you can get away with it Dell owns Alienware and they are by far Dell's most powerful laptops. They aren't just for gamers. If you need power that's the way to go. Not everyone needs that kind of power though so it just depends on your usage.

3. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Take a look at the Dell Precision M4800.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I like the M3800 because it's slimmer.

Btw, are you working at a company that's right off of Post Oak and 610? Not gonna say the name but used to work there and that was our standard issue lol

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

It must be too long since I've been to a gentlemen's club, because my eyes saw, "Lapdance Advice." I read it thinking this could be good or bad...

Anyway, depending on how mobile you'll be, I'd go for the smaller and thinner laptops. If you are going to be docked all the time, get the power.

6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I work for one of the big Aerospace companies in Clear Lake. We all have Dell laptops with docking stations here.

7. dragician

dragician Member

for a sec i thought it was lapdance advice.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

You weren't alone. Check my post above, haha.

9. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I think that would have made for a better thread! :)

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

XPS /thread

11. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

^ Yep. XPS 15 if I was you.

12. Tracy McIverson

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. I requested the XPS15 with the M3800 as a backup. Mostly int hat order because the first is more expensive lol. I appreciate it because I wouldn't have known where to begin.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I'd steer away from the xps. It's not dockable. The m series comes with a sleek dock where you can add additional monitors and easyly undock it and take it home.

The xps will need mini display port to add monitors. Just depends how you use it.