1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry Locker Sources: The Decision To Pick Up MDA’s Option Next Season Was Fertitta’s, Not Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 24, 2019.

1. cjvnyc

cjvnyc Member

You Trump-trash are not very bright. Tillman "punished" Morey or the Rockets regression by extending him 8 more years. He was clearly going to "punish" MDA by picking up the option. Morey did as told and cost the Rockets the West Conference Championship and a berth in the Finals by keeping the payroll down and leaving the team short-handed. Morey covered for Tillman in the media. MDA did the same, never once questioning the skin-flint Tillman. These are Tillman's guys. Tillman is giving control over the Rockets not to the most qualified management team but to his own sons. Tillman doesn't care about winning, only about Tillman.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Starting to think we are looking at Kelvin Sampson

Daryl, Tilman, and Harden are all comfortable with him. Hurts U of H, but probably saves Tilman a couple million on replacement. Think he can sweet talk dantoni to flip?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Could you imagine MDA and Thibs together?

It’d be a 5 man rotation lol.

Not sure why anyone would want Thibs to coach anything at this point.

As for all these Fertitta led moves.... it seems somewhat disastrous but otoh the Rockets haven’t won a championship in 25+ years so if he wants to try his way... well I guess we’ll just have to see.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yes. It's known as "Follow The Money".

5. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

For f**k sake stop with this nonsensical EMO pearlclutching.

It will be basically the same team next two years, a team that's currently one of the contenders. Yeah GSW is a better team. Yeah, we will be a bit older. But we will be up there among the best teams again next year and if we are really lucky we will walk away with rings. Small chance for sure, but nowhere near impossible (or implausible). I really don't like the playing style (nor do I feel good about the roster's cost), but the results are fine and it's hard to see the results being much worse if Harden stays healthy.

On the MDA extension: Arguably he does a really good job with the Rockets, certainly much better than our last few coaches. The team got very close to a title this year, so why flip the table thinking that will actually help???

napalm06 and topfive like this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm happy you post stuff that i can't easily find on ESPN's first take show

Scarface and tycoonchip like this.
  7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Because if Fertitta is willing to pay, then why the hell not. After the whole Timberwolves I can't see anyone just knocking on his door tomorrow. If Fertitta comes knocking and gives you a fat paycheck. A chance to win the title.... half the stress too? Possible chance of taking over if Pringles don't work out.

8. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

cant afford players, cant afford draft picks, cant afford coaches

tilmen supporters will say "why dont you buy your own team and stop whining then"

9. malakas

malakas Member

How come there are so many leaks with so sensitive information lately?
    Some time before this would never come out in the national media or at least it would take months.

Is it Fertita's people or maybe CP3's camp?

RyanB likes this.
  10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Keep posting brother. In the business world not everything that is agreed upon comes to fruition. Every day there are handshake deals that never happen because of various factors. Most of us here love to hear about these rumors.

11. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

It's not the signing I'm questioning, it's the timing. Just hire Thibs to be our next head coach and cut bait with MDA now then. Why do this in the middle of extension talks? Thibs isn't joining our staff to be our defensive coordinator I can assure you. He'd be joining our staff to be heir to the throne. Just crown him already is my point. And also for that reason alone, Thibs isn't joining our staff.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

in this thread sky is falling ..yet with harden rockets are as high as 2nd or 3rd in nba.

Lakers will get a big boost and clippers will improve with kawhi
    We are a core of harden capela which is a contender. Maybe not enough but a contender.

Other contenders besides rockets is still a short list- bucks philly clippers lakers and the team durant goes to presumably the knicks.

It sucks rockets lost and i actually think rockets play worse against motion warriors without durant.

If warriors can go back to the motion stuff that got them there it doesnt matter almost

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

and they'll say "learn how to spell the guy's name"

14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Anyone who isn't going to kiss Harden and Paul's ass all season long and make adjustments. That's who. This could be MDA but he doesn't have the BALLS to coach this team.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You're welcome in advance.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Narratives, narratives everywhere.

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Eh, Morey's a good GM. But Moreyball might be slightly holding MDA back from coaching his brand of basketball. I like the move honestly. Y'all are upset but can't name ONE coach that would be a upgrade if MDA is fired. Again Moreyball has been exposed as a one trick pony, let MDA run his offense now

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i am a tad worried about owner over-involvement being a trend.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm with you. Morey is gonna get this done. it takes time. he's been close. he's proven he's one of the best GM's. With a player like Harden locked up for the next 4 years, a GM like Morey is gonna find a supporting cast that can eventually get us over the hump. I do worry that the CP3 contract will hamstring us the next couple of seasons, hurting our chances to rebuild. And i am a little worried about Tilman meddling in player/personnel decisions. I'm interested to see if Tilman and Morey can work together long-term.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is known to trade assets as soon as he thinks there is a better option. I really would not be surprised if Chris Paul has played his last game as a Houston Rocket. Morey is not blind and I guarantee he sees what we are seeing. I doubt his math saw his decline as drastic as it was this past season.