1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Stephenson??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketboyz1, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rocketboyz1

rocketboyz1 Member

Would you be willing to give up parsons for lance stephenson????? After watching the pacers beat on the knicks last nite before the rocket boyz played I was enjoying watching Lance play....He is very creative with the basketball and I believe could be a key contributer to this team....I believe he could play all three positions pg, sg, sf,......thoughts???:)

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A poor dwade. I like when he like to showboat but that stuff looks ugly. With that said yes.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

I don't understand the love. I see his offensive stats and they are decent but aren't that impressive..Is he a good defender?

4. jacoby

jacoby Member

Lance grew up a few blocks away from me and went to my Junior High School. He grew up in the ghetto and it's the reason why he has that unhinged "hood" demeanor on the court.

With that said, he's very talented and isn't scared of the bright lights. He's going to continue to get better but Free Agent after this season and a team will pay him $10 million. He may be good enough to be our third option down the road, but I wouldn't trade Parsons for him.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He's a GREAT defender. He does alot of the little things that really separates Indy from 26 other teams in the NBA. Having him and George on the perimeter and Hibbert in the middle is what makes Indy what it is.... from the defensive end.

On the offensive end, they aren't anything special, but having elite defensive players, and also having those player be adequate on the offensive end is what makes that team title worthy.

If you take Stephenson out of Indy and put him on a team like say the Rockets I'm not sure if he can be relied on to be your 3rd superstar, but he does upgrade your perimeter defense. On offense he probably would look something like Trevor Ariza did with the Rockets his first year here in Houston if asked to do too much.

So yes there is some risk in the wrong team signing Stephenson to too much money and too large of a role on the offensive end, and him not looking to be the player he is with Indy when taken out of their team concept.

That being said, unless Morey can move Asik & Lin for nothing but expiring contracts this Summer there is NO WAY the Rockets could afford Stephenson. My guess is Indy lets Granger walk, and finds a way to resign Lance to a similar salary to what they were paying Granger before. Somewhere in the 12 to 15 mil a year land, and I think Stephenson stays in Indy where he is most valuable anyways.

6. Lihao

Lihao Member

Agree, don't think Indy will let him walk , Hibbert , George and Stephenson will be their core for the next few years

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Can Indy afford him though? They'll be paying Hibbert, West, and George 12 million + each.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don't like this altitude, but man, we need some of that nastiness on our team.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'd easily take him over Parsons.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Solid two-way player who is getting pushed by the media as an all-star candidate harder than he pushed his girlfriend down that flight of stairs for some reason.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's the problem. If they can move Copeland somehow (add a pick?), cut Scola and let Granger go, they'd be able to get to 10 mil to re-sign him. But it seems very likely some team will bid even more than that. Move Mahinmi too maybe? Basically, an utter decimation of the bench, picks and flexibility.

I'm not sure at all they do this. In fact, a few weeks ago Bird said they might have to replace Lance if the price gets too high. What's too high, that's the question.

The Pacers have Bird rights and could offer him 5 years at slightly less per year. Who knows.

The problem is that he's unrestricted, just like Parsons will be. It entices a bidding war and will make it very hard to keep him.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I do hope he stays. He's a big part of the team, and I'm not at all sure he'll be ok on another team. That culture helps him a lot. If he goes to a place with a much bigger taste for drama inside the locker room and outside of it -- like say the Lakers -- I'm not sure he can handle it.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If Stephenson is taken off the Pacers and given big money, there is a good chance he reverts back to acting like an idiot. Some players need to be in good situations.

Secondly Parsons is a better player, so no.

14. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Me too.

As for the OP,Indy will keep him.

15. dragician

dragician Member

NO.

I mean, NOOOOOOOOOO.

16. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pay Hayward, we'll have our third star, move Parsons to PF and let him focus on defense. Instant contender.

Plus we screw over the Jazz, win-win-win

17. omgTHEpotential

Lance will want big bucks. And honestly, I'm not sure if he'd fit with our style of play.

18. passdarock

passdarock Member

Lance Stephenson is good but the only way Chandler Parson is being shipped out of Houston is if we get an all star player.

19. chandlerbang21

havent seen him play much right?

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Re trade, I don't think either team would trade. I think Lance is better right now but it's hard to say what happens to him mentally if he's out of that infrastructure. Everyone - Larry Bird, Vogel, locker room veterans - plays a big part in keeping him in control.
    Besides, I think Parsons fits the Rockets better. Lance's 3pt %s look ok on paper so far but Parsons is a much better shooter. On the other hand, the Pacers are clicking, Lance's all around game is the glue, no reason to mess with chemistry.