1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Stephenson signs with Hornets - 3 yrs / 27 m

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Great deal for the Hornets, especially with the team option. I thought Lance would have a bit more leverage and market value than that after last season. Seems like a lot of ppl get overpaid in these FA markets and with a lot of desperate teams needing to make splashes, but not the case here.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

3. Nook

Nook Member

Lance will get his....

4. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

According to the Candace Buckner, Lance was made the offer as a take it or walk. No option to reach out to other teams.
    https://twitter.com/CandaceDBuckner/status/489425837767155712

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

It sounds like they are talking about the right to match the offer sheet. Lance was an unrestricted free agent. There's no right to match.

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Got to find another legit star, like Parsons.

1 person likes this.
  7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Great. Every team in the Southwest is going to make the playoffs now. :mad:

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

To be serious, it's tough. I don't think they are terribly far away, but they need another near all star piece, and there's little flexibility to add one. Maybe someone will shop a point guard for a few picks at some point, like Lowry was being shopped last year. That would be perfect.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Hornets, as in Charlotte Hornets.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

It's all speculation about Stephenson being a chemistry killer during the season. Teams might have been able to overlook it because there's no hard evidence. But his antics in the playoffs reminded everyone and brought it front and center.

The second I saw him blow in Lebron's ear I figured it would cost him noticeably in free agency.

11. WFU Guy

WFU Guy Member

No, she's the beat writer for the Pacers, I think she knows a RFA from a UFA. The verbal of that tweet I heard was that he was told don't get up, don't pull out your phone, that's the offer; take it or walk. Ergo, no way for Indiana or any other team to "match" Charlotte's offer.

Nothing to do w/ matching a RFA Offer Sheet.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Our division gets stronger as Morey wastes his time waiting to whiff on another superstar.
    EDIT: ******* it. I keep getting the Hornets and Pelicans mixed up.

Charlotte is going to be a fun team to watch.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kemba
    Lance
    MKG
    Zeller/Vonleh?
    Big Pay Al (South Park reference)

Not a bad 2k14 Roster

14. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Well then......
    Carry on I guess

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

he was the center of alot of the pacers news. him and George Hill had to be separated during a game against SA in March. Hibbert pretty much calling him out saying there are selfish dudes on the team right after. The fight with him and Evan Turner at the beginning of the playoffs.

Whether its speculation or not, its pretty easy to see where most of the drama stems from

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Ray Allen? There aren't many potion at the two spot.

17. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

WOW! Total steal, better all around player than Ariza minus the 3. He's a guy that can create offense on his own, get the whole squad going with his energy. Of course he can self-destruct too, but at 9 mill? Would've been a great trade asset even if the Rockets got sick of him after a year.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

People.

[​IMG] =/= [​IMG]

19. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Good points. Still I don't think its a given he recoups it. On talent alone he is worth more than $9 million per year. It's the "other" stuff that had so few suitors and so little money available to him. I'm not sure he can change his play or the "other" stuff enough to recoup the lost $17 million. Plus, doesn't anyone want to win anymore? Indy is clearly the better team.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

His offer from the Pacers was 44M/5yrs yet he takes a 27M/3 year deal from the Hornets with a team option in his 3rd year. Pretty sure he could have gotten at least 30M from the Pacers with those terms. Not sure why he took that deal but the Hornets did well along with not signing Hayward to that ridiculous contract.