1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance McCullers to start Monday at MMP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, May 15, 2015.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree, and SS isn't exactly a major position of need right now :grin:

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Move Tulo to third.

Correa at short.

Our offense and defense would become that much better.

Offensively we would be getting more guys on base.

It is time to get rid of the Margo/Villar ss experiment.

Trade off Villar for a 220% hitter in A ball that has potential.

3. The Beard

I would want no part of that contract even if we didn't have to give up mega prospects to get him. The guy can hit, and is even really good outside of Coors field. But that contract for a guy who has played 91, 126, 47 games the past three years, and is currently sporting a quad injury and putting up by far the worst numbers of his career, at age 30

Pass

4. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Luhnow is smart enough not to touch Tulo and his contract.

5. tmacfor35

If healthy, BIG IF, he is one of the best players in baseball.

Contract is big yes, but we are one player of his caliber and one starting pitcher away from contending for a long time.

Don't understand the issue with that.

6. The Beard

Because as you said, his health is a BIG IF

And you don't give up huge $$ plus huge prospects for a guy you can't count on. That is actually how you take a team on the right track and knock it backwards

7. tmacfor35

Give out Appel, Kemp, Tyler White, and PTBNL.

Minor leaguers that play well in the minor leagues are usually just that.

8. Major

Major Member

If these are guys that are likely just good minor leaguers, why do you think Colorado would want them?

9. tmacfor35

I think there is rarely a sure thing.

We probably have two guys in our system I would consider sure things.

McCullers and Correa.

Other than that, their is just a bunch of sit back and hope they progress in our system.

I've seen McCullers personally, kids stuff is absurd. At worst he is a great closer in the bigs. At best he is an ace in your staff along with Dallas and Colin.

Correa is obviously the next franchise guy next to Altuve.

10. The Beard

Let's go back to using this thread for McCullers discussion.

I would guess the chances of Luhnow making a trade for for Tulo is somewhere between .000000001 and .00000000001%

11. tmacfor35

Probably right.

Like I've mentioned multiple times.

McCullers has ace stuff.

Has the nastiest off speed stuff I've ever seen in person(excluding Lidge's slider).

Sat behind home plate of missions game and it made my jaw drop.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You and I have played as many games at 3rd base in the major leagues as Tulowitzki has. We have also played as many games at 3rd base in the minor leagues as Tulowitzki has.

13. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Obie is better than Heranandez

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So much more likely to get Tulo than Hamels.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, plus the injury history.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's never healthy. He's played 150 games or more just twice in ten years.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That first year was mostly in the minors an the 10th is in progress, not that it really changes the point, because he has still only been relatively healthy for 1/3 of his seasons.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Tulo is much in the Astros future as I don't think Astros have the cash reserves or the risk tolerance to take him. However, even with injury problems, he's been a top level SS in 6 out of 8 years. He'd still likely be above average at 3B even without experience there. Position players with Tulo's injury history are probably only slightly more risk than a 30+ year old pitchers without an injury history getting hurt.

Granted, if other team is willing to kick in a bunch of cash to mitigate the Astros risk, that would change things.

Back on McCullers, Excited for tonight's game. Has it been announced who's being DFA from 40-man roster?

19. Buck Turgidson

Don't think they have. They can move Lowrie to the 60-day DL to open up a spot on the ML roster, and I would think they'll send Buchanan down to make room on the 25-man.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/astros-throw-lance-mccullers-into-the-fire/

...An improved changeup:

McCullers’ changeup has always had the potential to be at least average. Although Kiley rated the pitch as a 40 heading into the year, he gave it a peak rating of 50. This year, though, it’s flashed above-average (55) to plus (60), according to multiple scouts. Kiley also noted that Jose Fernandez — whose frame and stuff are similar to McCullers’ — also saw his changeup jump from fringy to plus right before he was called up. The improvement enabled Fernandez to transition seamlessly from A-Ball to the majors, where he immediately became one of the best pitchers in the game.

It’s unlikely that McCullers will be as successful as Fernandez was in his rookie year. Fernandez was an exceptional case, and it’s foolhardy to expect any prospect to achieve that kind of success, especially right away. Nonetheless, the Fernandez example shows that adding a viable third pitch can go a long way for a pitcher who already has two excellent ones.

More two-seamers:

Another scout noted that he started incorporating more two-seamers into his arsenal a few weeks ago. His four-seam fastball is relatively flat, so the two-seamer mixes things up by adding some sink/plane to his repertoire. This pitch is still a work in progress, however, and his command of it isn’t great.

More at the link.

I'm surprised by the two-seamer comment. It seems the cutter is the pitch of the day that everyone is learning. Alas, the days of the splitter have long past as the "it" pitch.