1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman has an assload to say (Clemens, Pettitte, Wade,Valverde)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5383082.html

2. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Re: Valverde's fist pumps and other "antics"

If he gets the job done, he can do cartwheels into the dugout and sleep hanging upside-down from the shower rod for all I care. The Astros put up with Lima's antics when he was giving up bombs all over the park, Valverde should be a walk in the park.

3. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Like I said in the other thread, Valverde was a head case out here in Arizona. He got a ton of saves, but they were all close, and he got lucky the majority of the time. The guy is very unpredictable. I don't believe stros fans are going to be very happy with him. We are glad to see him go.

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

God forbid some excitement is added to a baseball game.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

but berkman is ok joking with the opponent on first base while the astros are getting creamed.

berkman is just mad his buddy burke got traded.

i like berkman speaking out being honest though.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think what he said about Valverde kinda sucked. He hopes the issues with his antics are "addressed"?

Whatever Berk...shut up and freaking play ball.

7. ESource

ESource Member

"Worried about clubhouse chemistry?" That same chemistry that made us one of the worst team in baseball Berk?! No thanks, very happy to see this team changed!

8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Say what you have to say about Valverde to is face behind closed doors. Don't run to the media like a little b!tch. If he was trying to establish himself as a leader that's fine...but there are better ways to go about doing it. Maybe if he and his buddies hit better last season they would still be playing together.

I am glad Wade has come in and blown this thing up.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He said they were all very comfortable with each other. Maybe that was part of the problem. Things were TOO relaxed.

RE: Valverde,
    Lance played with Jose Lima for his first 2 1/2 seasons. Is Valverde more animated than Lima?

10. ESource

ESource Member

Yup, that's it right there!
    Too relaxed = Not getting on people who aren't producing

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

All you have to do to get Berkman to shut up is give him a twinkie.

12. Raven

Raven Member

He's just establishing himself as top dog in the clubhouse. I'm slightly amused he threw Clemens under the buss, but I don't know what their relationship is. He's right about a team of strangers. It's a valid concern that the players don't form little clicks.

13. tested911

tested911 Member

Tightbond? of what loosing bwhahha just be glad Wade is actually trying to improve the club than sitting on mediocre players for the next 5 years.. If this guy is going to be supportive of Pettite why not at least support Tejada? Remember when Berkman came out and said he believes 100% that Pettite did not take any performance enhancing drugs and now he is saying he is supportive of him.. Geez man

How about you turn your year around becuase last year wasn't so great for you. He can't even see the potential lineup all around him.

14. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Good grief... Lance Berkman is one of the most annoying baseball players ever. Maybe he should just start a blog like Schilling.

I wouldn't mind him being traded for a starting pitcher.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Don't you want your closer to be a prick rather than someone who caves under pressure? If he come through and gets a close save and you win the game, who cares what the closer does. I don't want to hear any of this "purity of baseball" BS if he is doing his thing out there and if he needs that kind of "antics" to be the best player he can. Don't take away his MOJO Lance. This team doesn't show enough emotion as it is.

I think the clubhouse will be fine with Tejada being a likeable guy for the most part. He is similar to Lee except more serious during the game. We still have Ausmus, Loretta, and even Blum so hopefully those guys and Lance can create some chemistry with the rest of the guys. This is one diverse team. We actually look like a major league baseball team now.

16. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Looks to me like he saved 20 games in which he had a one-run lead. Saves are close by nature - it's how they work. We'll take it.

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

OK, Puma...You need to get over it. How dare we have a GM that isnt afraid to say "You know what, this team isnt working. Lets make some changes."
    So Lance is okay with trotting out the same team that was lousy last year just because he knows everyone?

Some guys just dont understand that it really is just a business, even though they always say it.

If he is so worried about chemistry, a good first step isnt calling out the new guys through the media... :(

As far as the "antics," Im not a fan of them myself. But if youre getting the job done, you can do the macarena on the mound and I could care less.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

God forbid we breakup the pussified "chemistry" in the clubhouse.

Quit being such a titty-baby, Lance.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Translation: "Ed Wade traded my lap dog, Chris Burke. Who am I going to have follow me around and laugh at all my jokes now?"

20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Lance,

Well your "team chemistry" didnt win dick in 2006 & 2007 so I think its a little over-rated personally. I think you are more hurt that you dont have buds to hang with on the long road trips more than anything. The "good guys" looked like a bunch of p*****s in '07, and I will not be embarrassed again by this lackluster play.

"It's been a tough offseason for me". Well boo freaking hoo! Get off your lazy ass and hit the gym. Get into shape and get ready to mash some freaking RBI's dough boy. Eddie W has only put together the most lethal lineup in the NL - you should have no less than 100 RBI's by July - easy.

I love you to pieces Puma, but its time to nut up and be a big boy. Playoffs in '08 would be a nice start.

Regards,
    Drewdog