1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Red Nation RGV, Jun 15, 2018.

1. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

What would we give them that would help the rebuild mode argument? Ryno, EGo, late first round picks in the near to mid-term?

roslolian likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Capela is the only real piece we could offer, he’d likely get it done but is it worth it?

If we can somehow pull off a 3 team deal landing us both Aldridge and DAJ then maybe, but it would take a lot of work.

Capela to Spurs
    Gordon, Nene +1st to Clippers
    Aldridge, Jordan to Rockets

Sign Reddick to MLE

Is that worth it? Would be a lot to pull off. A lot of change.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We can’t even trade Capela

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We can, through a S&T.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Capela would have to approve it.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes he would have to approve it, and any team that's taking him has to be willing to pay him a lot of $$ as well.

At this point in Capela's career, I'm pretty sure he'd be fine anywhere that's willing to pay him. I'm sure he'd be more then happy to play with the Spurs and TP if they pay him market value.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

No thanks.

Too little too late.

8. Mr. Turbo

Mr. Turbo Member

Too slow

dkim1984 and MorningZippo like this.
  9. mockster

mockster Member

I’m not that high on LMA, he’s a softer version of Chris bosh

10. Red Nation RGV

Well honestly we probably don't have anything of value to them in terms of building pieces besides Capela. My thoughts on this are more on the lines of if they lose Leonard and get back picks then maybe they want to clean house lower cap space and semi tank. If that would happen maybe we get Aldrige as a consolation.

11. basketballholic

No.

The PnR DID NOT work against the Warriors.

And you think I'm stubborn and won't admit when I'm wrong????????????????????????

#potkettle

Hilarious. Dude has convinced himself that the Capela PnR worked against the Warriors. LOL. smh

12. basketballholic

Capela was liability defensively switching against the Warriors.

13. basketballholic

I have long advocated that the pick-and-pop was the next evolution to our offense that would thrust us past the Warriors when we got a 5 that could catch and fire efficiently. Because it increases our spacing and it would require that Draymond stay at home on the shooter or if he helped on the drive he'd get burned by the shooter.

But....I have serious doubts about Aldridge being that guy. I've watched a lot of Spurs games over the last two seasons and the problem is that while Aldridge has this gorgeous looking feathery jump shot he won't pull it from 3. He's a ball stopper. And he stops the ball and LIKES to take the shots that we despise, outside the paint, about 17 feet away on the wings. And although it looks very pretty, those shots are not efficient.....even from him. That's playing right into the Warriors wheelhouse.

So......unless we knew that Aldridge was going to run that pick-and-pop outside and he was going to pull efficiently from 3 without stopping the ball and toying around with it.....then I don't see the fit.

I've followed Aldridge for this specific reason...to see if he would take that feathery jumper out to the nether regions and bang down that 3 and become a devastating offensive weapon. Because I thought if any big could knock down a ton of 3's it would be him. But he hasn't done it. And he's had prime opportunity to. Hasn't developed his three ball. Doesn't even appear interested. And frankly, I'm wondering if the root of his unhappiness the season before was the fact that Pops was trying to get him out to the corners and the arc to change his shot selection to threes instead of midrange.

Frankly, I suspect this is one of the reasons Kawhi wants out. Kawhi knows the Spurs are flushing efficient offense down the toilet to get LaMarcus a bunch of crappy midrange touches and Aldridge has become a black hole with the ball. He simply hasn't adjusted his game while the whole Spurs team has adjusted their game for him. And that's s very non-Spursy way for the Spurs to play. I think LaMarcus has destroyed the Spurs team. I'd much rather have DeMarcus and his bad attitude. At least he'll catch and pull that deep ball with no hesitation.

#53 basketballholic, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    payaso likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LMA's midrange > ariza's or whoever bricked 3 or turnover

15. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Nice idea but it will never happen.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Who are the 4/5's that have a pick and pop jumpshot, that at least would be serviceable defensively with switching, that you think the Rockets should target and that perhaps could be available?

BigMaloe and hakeem94 like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Arguing about LMA's fit is nonsense we dont have the pieces to get him and even if we did we can't afford 4 max deals and if Capela is used as the piece it will be a lateral move at best horrible move at worst as Capela is the only young guy we have left.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not arguing about his fit. My post was to open up the discussion to the entire NBA of 4/5's that have pick and pop potential.

Nook and Deckard like this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So much fail.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The pnr is a two-man game with two options, "dude." The Roller and the Dribbler. You can stop Malone's pop, but if Stockman shoots open jumpers, then the PnR worked.

Same with Game 1 (Harden 41 points) and Game 2 of Warriors (a blowout win). I showed countless videos of the Hampton 5 defense (or any d with West) continuously allowing drives off the PnR, because Green was overly-determined to hug Capela. I didn't make that up. I posted countless videos of it.

It was effective enough that GSW had to play dual bigs with Green and Looney/Bell for the rest of the series. This "stopped" it by sending help. That, again, makes it effective enough to force GSW to play bad offensive players more minutes, which helped us win 2 of next 3 before Paul got injured.

#60 heypartner, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018