1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge to sign with Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Jul 4, 2015.

1. basketballholic

I'm not talking about 5 vs 4 or 4 with an option on year 4. I'm talking about a 2 year deal with a player option on year 2 like Lebron is going to sign that allows him to opt back into free agency next season and take advantage of the higher max allowed.

LaMarcus, if he signs a 4-year deal, will make somewhere around $20 million in 2016-17. If he is a free agent in 2016-17 he would sign a max deal at close to $30 million starting salary and going up from there. He is leaving over $30 million on the table over 4 years and signing for 30% less than what he could make over 4 years by signing a 1+1 deal and then re-upping at the next max next season.

2. MONON

MONON Member

LOL!!! :grin: Leastwise the mayor has a sense of humor.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Money go get Lillard, they are now rebuilding.

DD

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Suns made it very close, but second meeting w/ Popovich was immense to closing deal. Aldridge pushed further w/ questions, got his answers.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/617378286935502848">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Then again, NO FA agent this year was able to command a 1+1 max deal like Lebron did.

The reason is also very simple, they are not Lebron, no team is going to take this kind of risk and the player themselves also doesn't want to take this kind of risk.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Take Wade as an example, he demanded a 3 yr 45 mils deal, the Heat countered a 1 yr 20 mils deal and he eventually took it.

On paper it looks great for Wade as he could get a much better deal next year.

But in fact this deal favor the Heat much more with less risk and flexibility.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

How on earth was Phoenix #2? Might as well just stay in Portland where you get the better sidekick as well as the higher salary.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Welcome to <a href="https://twitter.com/aldridge_12">@aldridge_12</a> ! So happy he's going to be a Spur !!</p>&mdash; Tony Parker (@tonyparker) <a href="https://twitter.com/tonyparker/status/617380135700967424">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Even if it's for 1-2 years, Duncan-LMA-Kawhi is an all-time holy-**** level frontline. I voted all 3 for All-NBA last season.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/617380987954049025">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

#88 J.R., Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  9. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Curious how the Spurs offense will look with Aldridge. It wouldn't surprise me if his individual stats suffered because of their system. With Portland and the Clippers weakening, the Texas triangle might just end up all in the top 4 next year along with Golden State.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why is Kawhi so overrated? F'g role player. He's not even that great of a defender. Last year, he only holds the guy he's defending to 0.6% less than their average FG%. In playoffs, he was scorched - giving up 6% higher. WTF?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I mean all due respect to the Spurs but they're done as the team to beat, this just puts them on even ground with the clips instead of irrelevant like Dallas or Portland. I'm not scared of LMA/Kawhi lol its likitse a poor mans version of Harden/Howard.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Spurs are gonna be like last year's Clippers. Terrific starting five and lousy bench.

13. Mr. Space City

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Big Men in the Southwest division Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, Marc Gasol, Zac Randolph, Tim Duncan, Aldridge, DeAndre, and Dirk. Damn.</p>&mdash; Basketball Forever (@Bballforeverfb) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bballforeverfb/status/617380932593549312">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

[​IMG]

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

LOL @ more delusional homerism in this thread. Spurs are going to be insanely great.

1 person likes this.
  15. maw7079

maw7079 Member

LOL! Lillard is the centerpiece of any rebuilding to be done. Maybe CP3 will shake loose from LA... Man... We're in trouble. Well done SA. Unlike Dallas and Utah... I have always always respected that franchise. I only wish I could be a Spurs fan... Clutch City is in my fabric. I don't see us getting by SA now though. Good Lord. Already the system but now supreme talent. From Admiral to Fundamental to LA... ... Hopefully Montrezl or Dekker is Superstar-level (lightning in a bottle). Not sure how much longer D12's knees will hold.

16. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Agreed

1 person likes this.
  17. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Have you never seen this guy play? Top ten player in the entire NBA. The Spurs will be scary... :( Currently Spurs, Warriors, Thunder ahead of the pack. Houston may be (a not-so-close) fourth, depending on what moves we can pull off now, and of course up to the deadline.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not scared.

They are going to win a lot of games in the regular season but one has to wonder about their center spot.

They have excellent bigs, true...but it's not like this is an area where we are weak at or something. If Morey swings a trade or gets a decent PG I'll still take on any team.

19. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-conversation="none" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">. <a href="https://twitter.com/aldridge_12">@aldridge_12</a> Welcome to a great family and the best organization in sports. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoSpursGo?src=hash">#GoSpursGo</a></p>&mdash; David Robinson (@DavidtheAdmiral) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidtheAdmiral/status/617376705783709697">July 4, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Jakey

Jakey Member

You can't blame the guy for choosing San Antonio. Only an hour drive from Austin where he went to college. He could probably go back to get his degree easier and people always say there college years were the best years of there lives so has a chance to be in that type of atmosphere again. It is also about the same distance to where he played high school ball in Dallas as it is from Houston. Plus you have Popovich saying he is probably staying the full five years of his current contract and Spurs just signed Leonard to the extension too. You got Duncan coming back for another season. Still have Manu and Parker. And I think personality wise, he would mesh better with the players on the Spurs.