1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge Could Inevitably Become Available Soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 30, 2012.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Hey, I don't doubt it!

At the same time I'd say the same about Harden and his position.

Can't get him though.

I just wouldn't worry about losing Parsons. Morris would step in just fine IMO. He's a knockdown shooter too and defense will regret every time they leave Morris open.

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

LA is the perfect compliment next to asik that helps ease the scoring load off harden. We would get legit size/length on our front court. I would love to have LA on our squad better than milsap or josh smith.

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If anything, Aldridge's recent back troubles represent a buy-low opportunity.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL isn't that what NYC said about Amare and his knees? Or Philly about Bynum's leg?

C'mon man, we just snagged a fully healthy, 23 year old all star SG. We won't have that chance again till 10 years or so, I'd really rather just wait around for Love or Dmo/Tjones to develop than trade for someone with chronic injuries.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't look at back injuries as by-low opportunities. those tend to linger. TMac is a good example.

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

That isn't what either club "said," no. In fact in the case of Bynum, there is some evidence to suggest that the Lakers flat-out lied to Philadelphia and obfuscated key medical records related to Andrew Bynum's injury history.

And I'm lollin at this idea that you think Amare's creaky, uninsurable, surgically repaired knees are in the same ballpark as an achy back.

How is either situation even remotely similar? Come on now, with the concern trolling and the REMEMBER THAT TEAM WHO TRADED FOR A HURT PLAYER cautionary tales.

The Lakers just traded for Dwight Howard, who is just coming off back surgery because his back was light years more jacked up than Aldridge's. How's that been working out for them?

7. nono

nono Member

Give up guys, Portland won't trade him.

8. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

If Asik learns to catch passes, then Love would be the perfect fit. LMA is not bad. He can post up, be the roll or pop in a P&R, and shoot midrange jumpers. If he can shoot the 3s to provide some more spacing, that'll be perfect. As long as Asik is here, rebounding shouldn't be a problem unless he turns into 2Pat. I admit, I didn't watch LMA played much, but the data from synergy PPP and RAPM have him as an above average defender.

9. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I forgot to address this part, too. You're right, the Rockets shouldn't bother improving their team because Kevin Love exists and is obviously coming to Houston in three years.

What am I even reading.

10. Aruba77

Dwight Howard (a top 3 player in the league) was worth the stretch. Aldridge is not Dwight. But in truth, a detailed medical examination would reveal if there were any serious long-term back issues. Most of the back gossip is just conjecture. We don't really know the extent of the issue, good or bad. I'm with HMMMMM; i think you go after the guy aggressively (assuming he's healthy), but you don't give up the farm for him.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Have him take the shot from the other mid-range spot, then, and make sure these are at least subject to a token contest. Also, 44%, while a good # for that range, is still a relatively inefficient shot in the greater scheme of things. These shots are useful for freeing up other better shots for the team (simple example, the fact that a guy needs to run out to contest your shot opens the option of a pump-fake and drive to the basket-- a 40-44% shooter from that range can likely shoot a higher % on totally uncontested shots), but if you end up taking too many of them, it's still not a very good strategy overall.

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

44% on 2s isn't efficient and Aldridge has been only a ~40% shooter on long 2s throughout his career.
    Generally you only want your players to shoot long 2s every now and then to keep the defense honest. For Aldridge, long 2s have been his go-to shot every year but one.

Also, let's not compare him to Dirk. Dirk has 3-point range and gets to the line more. He's always been (much) more efficient than LMA and as skilled as LMA is, he is not Dirk.

Again, Aldridge is very good, but he is not great.

13. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I trust Daryl Morey to account for every relevant factor, including injury history, should a player of Aldridge's caliber go on the blocks, and to tailor an offer accordingly.

We're seeing people acting like he would be too dumb to do that, in chasing a player who hasn't even been made available and is just the subject of trade speculation coming from anyone but the actual Blazers organization.

There are a lot of crappy GMs in the NBA, but the Rockets don't have one of them. Rejoice and have faith.

14. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If you read back, you'll notice that Dirk's own midrange average was brought up not to invoke direct comparisons between the players, but because posters often have no clue as to what counts for efficient or inefficient shooting at midrange. Like in your post I'm replying to, for instance.

Aldridge is an efficient midrange shooter. When he got even more efficient, he started making all-star teams. That's the world we live in now, even after his shaky start to this season.

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Also, we're talking about midrange shots, not "on 2's." Either you've missed that distinction or this is just disingenuous argument.

44% from midrange is extraordinarily efficient. I would laugh and point at anyone who says differently.

If it helps you parse what we're talking about for sense, Aldridge typically shoots over 60% on a season while at the basket, like any other quality big man. And those are also "two point shots" lol wow

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Most significant obstacle to this deal: Paul Allen's resistance to a "total rebuild."

He is a bit like Les Alexander this way. When the Sabonis/Rasheed Wallace era Blazers got old, Paul Allen tried to reload on the fly and ended up signing Darius Miles, an immature Zach Randolph and others to hefty contracts. Circumstances (i.e. totally dysfunctional Jailblazers) finally forced him to blow that team up and ushered in the Roy/Aldridge/Oden version of the Portland team.

When Oden and Roy went down, new GM Rich Cho suggested a total rebuild. So, Paul Allen fired him and the team reloaded with Crawford, Felton, Camby, Matthews, etc. They ended up with a high pick not because of a planned rebuild, but because the team was totally dysfunctional.

Anyhow, Paul Allen might decide to trade Aldridge, but it does not look like the "OKC-method" is his natural preference.

1 person likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Any time people in the FO have to come out and say.

"No no! We aren't trading him! No way!" that means that they have considered trading him.

You never see this with real untouchable players.

18. Aruba77

wow, interesting observation. In that case, we're not particularly well set up to give Portland what they want. All we really have are prospects, and a guy who plays the same position as the guy they just broke the bank for this offseason.

19. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Midrange shots only count as 2 points, though. That's just how it is. 44% may be a good midrange%, but in the larger context, like Carl already pointed out, it's very much an ineffective shot.

That's the whole point. I know very well that Aldridge is one of the better shooting bigs in the league, but the fact remains that a lot of shots he takes -- big picture -- are ineffective shots.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Right now there are only 2 players on the team that would be out of the question in an LMA trade, JHard & Asik. As much as I love Parsons, LMA is clearly more valuable until we have a better idea of what Parsons is.

- LMA is a borderline all-star player.
    - only 27
    - Not great defensively but he does block some shots
    - not a great rebounder.
    - He would be a great 3rd option on offense and or a very good 2nd option.
    - He is not a three point threat, he prefers the mid range game but has nice post moves
    - Career averages: 18 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 1 BPG, 2 APG, .493 FG%, .778 FT%

My only problem with trading Parsons is that We don't know how good he can be? We know he is an elite defender and an really good rebounder and ball handler for a 3. What we don't know about him is his offense and scoring ability. Are we comfortable thinking that the last 10 games where Parsons has been an offensive dynamo averaging close to 20 PPG, 7 RPG, 3 APG, over .500 FG% and over .400 3Pt% is the real thing and not just a really good 10 game streak? We cant really answer that until we see a lot more of Parsons through out the season. And as other Posters have stated, what would be Portlands interest in Parsons when they have Batum who is playing just as good or better and is just as young.

If DMo averages 20 PPG, 7 RPG, 2 APG and 1 BPG at almost .500 fg% I think we would all be thrilled. That is what LMA would give us now and there is no wondering if he would develop.

I would love to have LMA and think he would fit nicely with Asik and Parsons in the post but what would Poertland want in return? That is the real question.