1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge Could Inevitably Become Available Soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 30, 2012.

1. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

To be honest I was thinking the same thing, but i looked back at his history and in the 09-10 season he played 81 games and took only 7 three pointers after taking 87 the season before. Now i know it was just one season so i dont wanna put too much hope on it but if we could get him to buy into not taking that many threes then i think his defense compounded with his athleticism could do wonders for this team. O and in the 09-10 season he shot 50% from the field.

Also, I think the Rockets are ranked 26th in blocked shots and no other pf (LMA, jefferson, millsap) has anywhere close to Smiths blocking ability. Now, the only powerfoward with back to the basket skills is Jefferson but i cant imagine Jefferson in our fast breaking system. But his all depends on what kind of team the rockets want to be. For a fast breaking team i would choose JS but for a half court team i think the clear choice is Jefferson.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We have to not get caught up on 'Value'

That's the same thing teams worried about with Harden. Is he 'Worth' it? All that jazz, he's worth it. You aren't going to find many PFs better than him. Harden+LMA duo is going to bring the team gobs of regular season wins. The question is playoff wins...we won't ever know that until you give it a shot. Plus they will have a more than good complimentary cast. Give Morey one offseason and he'll have the team filled with capable role players.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Forget LMA, any chance we can land Greg Monroe? :D

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe if we give them Harden :p

5. NatrlBornChemis

why dont we just develop PPat...he's young and has showed a lot this year...All we need is to develop the guys we have and trade jeremy Lin man...

6. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

In all honestly, would you do Harden for Monroe straight up? (forget the salaries)

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Morey has shown time and time again that he can find quality role players for us. I'm confident he'll be able to do that if we have to trade some away for LMA. The only way to get stars is to be a huge market via FA or land a disgruntled one and to win in this league, you need stars. Do it Murray!

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really like LA's game ... I just have to wonder , with the way the NBA has evolved beyond the traditional post up big .... Is he really what this team needs to become a contender ?!
    Would they be better off with a different skillset?! A guy who has the range to face up , the quickness to drive and a post game when called upon to do so .... (Almost feel like Im describing Josh Smith but I hate his shot selection).

This is what intrigues me about T.Jones and Motejunas .... they both have the ingredients in their game to put all of those facets together.

The question is are we willing to wait to see if either actually does it.

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I'd let PPat play out the year and then trade him. He's is pretty much just another Charlie Villanueva, undersized "power forward" that plays nothing like a power forward, can't rebound, doesn't post up, doesn't protect the post, but he'll get you some points. These guys are fool's gold and scam people into overpaying.

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Imagine running a Harden-Aldridge pick & roll/pop. How do you defend that?

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

By letting Aldrige shoot his 16-23 footers, since he only makes roughly 40% of those.

12. Broford

Broford Member

Aldridge is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope.

Harden is a all-star right now I think. I think he'll make the game as long as the Rockets are hovering around playoff contention.

Monroe still has to grow some...I still think he's going to be a good player but he's not all-star level yet. Harden is there now. I don't think the Pistons will be trading Monroe any time soon either.

There are not many young players that I'd trade Harden for. Durant of course, not Westbrook...not Rose until he proves his knee is fine...Blake Griffin...eh...

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I wasn't worried about Harden not being worth it. Without question, he was.

LMA is a little different though. I don't think he's quite as good a player. He's also quite a bit older and recently has had some back problems. So as good as Aldridge is, I would not go all in for him.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah I agree with your general thought, that being I would prefer to develop what we have, mainly taking about Jones and Motiejunas.

To me, Aldridge is a richman's Luis Scola, with a lesser post game. I don't see him as a legitimate, bonafied, star. He constantly shoot's jumpers, is an average to poor rebounder and defender. Not to mention, he will be pushing 30 yrs old pretty soon.

16. macho87

macho87 Member

You just described LA.

17. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Emphasis on 'should'. The article is about the fact that he is, in fact, on the decline, as indicated by the injuries he's racking up and timid play. Blazers should sell high on him while they can, but if I'm the Rockets, there's no way I'm paying full price. If he's not going to play defense, why pay him 4 times more for what we are currently getting from PPat?

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I wouldn't either, but give it a few years, and I think Greg Monroe could be a top 3 big man in the league.

19. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Nope. He does most of his midrange damage at an efficient 44%+ clip from the top of the key and the baseline, and that's even during a bad, injury-riddled season for him. For reference, Dirk Nowitzki is a career 46.8 midrange shooter.

[​IMG]

The reality is that LaMarcus Aldridge is one of the most feared midrange shooters in all of basketball.

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Member