1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMarcus Aldridge and Spurs at odds?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NicaHoustonian, Oct 18, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not surprised, Spurs know what's up. They want players who are efficient, play hard and move within the system. LMA wants to be like Dwight, he wants to get the majority of the touches in the post. This is why post players have gone extinct, not that there aren't big men who can score in the post but rather coaches figured out having the lane wide open for drives and open 3s is way better than having somebody clog the paint and ask for the ball. The problem with the Spurs is they broke the bank to sign him, I don't know if they can fool another team to trade for LMA, maybe NYC can part with Porzingis (lol) or maybe they can get picks and young players from the Lakers.

OTH, I expect Pau Gasol to fit like a glove in the Spurs system, that guy plays the right way.

P.S. No the Rox are better of without him. First of all we can't afford his salary, secondly the dude would make life hard for Harden again, 3rd he's old like Dwert, 4rth he doesn't want to run and just wants to play half court sets and finally he seems to be a drama queen and would clash with Harden due to lack of touches. When you have an issue with the Spurs, my guess you are the one who has a problem.

2. craguin

craguin Member

There was mutual interest between Aldridge and the Suns; not sure if that is still true today.

[The Arizona Republic] LaMarcus Aldridge calls Suns-Spurs choice "very close"
    “They made a strong case,” Aldridge said. “They knew who I wanted to play with and some things I valued and they made those things happen. I couldn’t not take them seriously because they did everything that I was asking at the time.

“It came down, neck and neck, between Phoenix and San Antonio. It wasn’t overplayed. That was accurate.” [...]

“Them showing up with him (Chandler) in the room, that spoke volumes about how serious they were,” Aldridge said.
    -----
    Wojnarowski - "The Suns aren't discussing any deals for guard Eric Bledsoe, because he's a part of the appeal for Aldridge. Aldridge wanted Bledsoe in Wednesday's meeting, because he wanted a chance to meet and get to know him."
    -----

[The Oregonian] San Antonio Spurs, Phoenix Suns made strong impression on LaMarcus Aldridge: Report
    "Ryan McDonough, went out and got LaMarcus Aldridge the center that he'd like to play with, Tyson Chandler," Wojnarowski said. "Now if Portland was able to keep Aldridge, I think they might have gone after Chandler."

But all of a sudden, they get an agreement with Chandler today, and McDonough marches Chandler into his meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge and says, 'Here you go.' And then things got serious between Aldridge and the Suns. They were really a secondary team. That changed today."

Vivi likes this.
  3. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Don't really want him anymore. I'd rather trade for a young big with possible all star potential

kwakmeister likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

This has Mavericks written all over it. If they want. He'll definitely be their number one option

5. rockets13champs

lamarcus game is prehistoric he is a 4 who can not hit 3's at a premium. I think he ends up on an old school team like Toronto or Mallas Davericks

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

LOL.... the hypocrisy in this post considering what Dirk is all about in relation to the Mavs is overwhelming. Old School?

7. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Break the bank? He costs just a tad more than Ryan Anderson.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought he did well in the playoffs. What the hell is his problem

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You guys all talking about whether you'd want him on the Rockets or not. It doesn't even matter. We would have to have some really enticing assets available to get them to send Aldridge to a division rival. We don't. In fact, even if we weren't in the same division (or conference for that matter) we don't have the assets to get him.

#29 Williamson, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe you haven't noticed but the game has passed guys like LMA by. You need 3 pt shooting nowadays even if LMA is a deadshot mid range shooter, him being in the paint makes it harder for other guys to score whereas a stretch PF like Wiltjer (lol) would allow spacing for everyone to score better. When you consider that LMA is also a horrible defender and his huge salary then maybe Spurs look at their +/- stats and shake their head, no wonder you have some bad blood brewing.

NBA has been progressing every year, and now with the addition of analytics NBA coaches and strategists have been able to break down what makes teams win or lose. Spurs are on the cutting edge of this technology, they started way earlier than everyone else they just kept it under wraps unlike Houston, Boston or Portland which made it their banner standard. 3>2, Team>me. I don't fully understand or agree with Morey's principles, he has goggle eyes for inefficient stars like Melo or WB so I wouldn't put it past him to try and get LMA. But getting him wouldn't make us better, considering LMA's age I think we just close out our window earlier and incur more potential drama between LMA and Harden.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whether the fans speculate or not it won't affect the decision either way. I think it gives good fodder for discussion and debate among conflicting basketball views, nobody here is saying we will actually get LMA but you never know stranger things have happened. To be perfectly honest if I were the Spurs I'd trade LMA to houston for a package of Ryan Anderson, Capela and a pick...maybe even haggle for KJ.

The combined value of those players will easily exceed LMA's output on the Spurs, it's not like they really need him they have Pau Gasol coming in who's like the closest thing to TD since TD.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

A Harden/LMA/Dwight big 3 would've been an interesting watch but I think the rebuild around Harden, no Dwight era doesn't include a player like LMA, even if he is talented.

Seriously though, that big 3 without Dwight's drama....like I guess you would've had to do it on NBA2K or something but that combo could've won. A low post option, a mid range dagger shooter and a 3ball/penetrating guard. Would've been nice.

13. HTM

HTM Member

Who the Lakers?