1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers trade Larry Nance/Clarkson to Cavs for Thomas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 8, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Isiah will get dumped in the summer to get more space. Still moving forward with lonzo

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

They're both 25, so still "relatively" young.

This strikes me as another move by the Cavs to try and help now, and later. Which may be them outsmarting themselves, but I definitely get it.

IT was sucking. Clarkson/Nance give them bodies with energy, with more size to help on defense, etc.

And as a series of trades, if you trade Kyrie - who is demaning got be traded, though signed to a long term contract, so interesting situation - and get back top 10 pick in stacked draft, Jae Crowder, Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. ... I mean Kyrie is obviously the best asset in that package... AND, one could argue that had they waited, could they have perhaps landed a John Wall or definitively a Kemba + package... maybe, but they didn't wait and imo didn't do horrifically given Kyrie's public push to get out and Lebron's likelihood of leaving as well...

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hate to say this, but you almost have to root for George to resign with OKC this summer. If he stays put, LeBron loses the best star free agent to lure him to LA.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Because lack of a cap increase has made it even more burdensome to work out the contracts for Rockets. If we get Lebron it may have to come at cost of CP3 unless someone takes a paycut

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I doubt he comes if we win it all this year.

8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I think this is more for Paul George. Honest if I'm the Lakers he makes more sense. Younger n good be a map one day

jayydela likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But where does Dwyane Wade go?

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fair trade for both.

BigO likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Uh, you left out the biggest piece of that trade. The BKN #1 pick (unprotected, right?). Why do ppl keep leaving that pick out of the discussion of that trade.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

China.

hakeem94, Nook and malakas like this.
  13. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Forgot about that

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Lakers with the ultimate finesse. Oh well, Cavs got rid of IT.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm still not sold on him going to the Lakers, but this trade does improve their odds of landing him. The key is can Magic sign another star this offseason. LeBron by himself does not turn that team into contenders. LeBron and Paul George puts them a lot closer. And now they have the cap space to get those two guys.

The Rockets meanwhile have to find someone to take Ryan Anderson and then they have to dump more salary. Ariza would be gone, but Morey would also likely have to give away either Tucker or EG.

16. Soneca

Soneca Member

The best asset was the Nets pick, it may turn onto something good. For a run this year, yeah you're 100 pc right!

17. oelman44

oelman44 Member

People dissing the Cavs for the trade, but IT was a sunk cost by this point by every definition of the term. He had clearly regressed considerably after an unprecedented dominant season, and he seemed so psyched out mentally that if he ever recovers I don't see it happening with Cleveland, especially not this season.

Nance/Clarkson >> IT. They are both good young players, and I see the Cavs improving from this trade. Doubt its enough to keep Lebron though.

BigO likes this.
  18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i wouldn't want anything to do with IT... his fall from grace has been historic. i'm not even sure that dude wants to play basketball right now, forget about being a contributor to a winning team. injury or no his attitude since getting dealt from boston has been putrid. wouldn't be surprised to see cleveland play more inspired ball with him gone - he was probably a big source of the locker room implosion.

BigO likes this.
  19. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

this a good trade for both teams

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

If Lebron is gone you definitely want to keep picks and lower your salaries, i agree that Clarkson and Nance might help them more than Thomas and Frye but still, doesn't make sense to me.

21. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gotta hand it to the Lakers. They did it with getting cap room AND an asset in return.

This does not help the Rockets.