1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers@Spurs 5/7

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DavidS, May 7, 2003.

1. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Well said Easy.

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I fully expect the Lakers to come back and win this series. The Spurs are classic chokers. They'll probably lose the next four games.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

just an old argument new players

My biggest beef with the Euro thing is
    1. Those who talk about how great they are
    are the same ones b*tching about LaBron James
    and other high schoolers

Which is very hypocritical

Did Ginobili goto college? Graduation high school?
    Did he have no pass no play? Title 9?
    Did he take illegal gifts before he graduated?

did he just concentrate on basketball since 15 [parker did
    he play pro at 15]

Could an american player do that? HELL F*CKING NO!
    LeBron wanted to come out at 16 . . AND PEOPLE SLAMMED HIM
    the Euros ROUTINELY are playing pro at those type ages

If we wanna talk about how great the EUROs are . . . fine
    BUT DO NOT DOWN THE HIGH SCHOOLERS IN THE SAME BREATHE

Maybe if more of our players when from 10th grade to the Pros
    by time they are 20~21 they would be better . . .

I read where someone said they are tired of American players
    taking 5 years to develope. . . My thoughts are. . .. the biggest
    difference is, . . that YOU GET TO SEE THE AMERICAN PLAYER's
    UGLY SEASONS while with the Euros. . . .. they hidden in Euro

It is not kewl to see their finished product and scream how
    superior they are. . . . while being hypercritical of Americans
    in progress?

Rocket River
    off. . the soap bix now . . sorry

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I thought the Lakers were on a roll after they finished off Minny pretty easily, I guess I was wrong. I think they are dead.

5. xcharged

xcharged Member

Why does this series come on so late when their in SA?

I mean do people really care about watching the JV east play?

6. coolpet

coolpet Member

that guy didn't ask Shaq for autograph, did he? :D

7. min

min Member

spurs are chokers...

it will all come down to the spurs winning at least one game in LA... if they don't... then david robinson and his choking crew will throw in the towel... and it will be up to the kings to beat the lakers...

too bad the kings are chokers too..

sigh...

luck the fakers

8. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

I HOPE LA DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HA HA HA HA!! OK I need to calm down!:D

9. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I love this quote :D

10. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

?

Worst. Take. Ever.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Have you seen me slam Lebron? I think not.

The problem isn't highschoolers like it was in the past (Kobe, Garnett, O'Neil). Amare and Lebron have shown that! It's any player today that suffers from lack of fundamentals. Like I said before, it's a cultural problem. Hype-over-substance sells! Thus, the players, high-school or not, come in the league with great athletic ability, but lack the basketball knowledge that make that player "ready" for the NBA.

LeBron is a breath of fresh air to me! Why? Because he learned the game the right way. He has solid passing, shooting, defense, FT, rebounding skills! Sure, he has natural talent. But individual natural talent is NOT the issue. I'm taking about the teaching of the game.

Again, it's also a NCCA problem where the college coaches are only able to spend a small amount of time with the players. And because of the hype over substance that permeates the American culture, the dedication will vary greatly from player to player. That's why you see a lot of players that are lacking in many skills (other than dunking). They didn't spend the time to improve themselves because everybody was telling them how great they are! It goes to their head. Scouts and Journalist saying a player is the "next Jordan" doesn't really help that player prepare. Why should they? They think they are "da-man!"

The Eruo players *know* that they must work very, very hard even to be considered for the NBA. So, their culture teaches them fundamentals and prepares them to be "basketball players." Not just "flashy dunkers." They have to in order to survive. In the end, they end up being better prepared. And that's better for the NBA.

You seem to think that is all TIME that matters (15 year olds to 20 year old). It's not.

It's WHAT is taught. HOW they are taught! TIME is a factor. But not as important as the others. And 5 years should not be spent in the NBA to "learn the game." Please! Spare me!

Hey, it's the players decision on what he wants to do. If an American player would rather be partying and dreaming of his Hummer, then his game will suffer. While the Euro player works on his game.

American players play more (pick up games).

Euro players practice more (technique).

Also, you seem to think that as long as you slap the word "Pro" on them (Euro leagues) that there is not a responsibility to actually learn the skills that are thought.
    American players don't have the concentration to learn the fundamentals.

Fact is, American players are easily distracted by shiny objects; Playstation 2, New Nikes, and that big Hummer 2.

Oh great. You like the idea that the NBA used as a training ground. Great! You can keep that! That's a bunch of crap and the international talent will change that.

Because no matter what you say, the NBA teams will scout the best NBA ready talent. And in the end, American players will lose jobs! So, sorry. So sad. Maybe they should work on their "mental game" rather than their flashy dunking!

Not true. Because the Euro players are coming in at relatively the same age! Thus the HS player comes in at 18-21, and starts to produce at 25-26. While the Euro player comes in a 20-21, and is ready to contribute right away. And even then, they still aren't finished improving! And, they have a much better knowledge base to grow from.

It takes 5 years for American player to develop because they aren't being taught early. And don't give me this crap about them not being allowed to train at 15. No, it's because they think that *dunking* is all it takes. Jump high, run quick. American players waste TIME!

At 15, an American player learns to dunk.
    At 16, an American player learns to run.
    At 17, an American player learns to run faster.
    At 18, an American player learns to dunk harder...

Agent: "You're the greatest!"

At 19: Enters the NBA, shoots a few air-balls, then sits on the bench.

Age is NOT an excuse. It's our system! And our culture!!!! Our NCAA system!
    ===

In Europe...

At 15, a Euro player learns shooting technique (works on free-throws).
    At 16, A Euro player learns to dribble (works on free-throws).
    At 17, A Euro player learns pick and roll (works on free-throws).
    At 18, A Euro player learns passing skills (works on free-throws).

Agent: You're not good enough. Maybe you'll get drafted.

At 19, A Euro player learns reading defenses techniques (works harder, continue working on free-throws).
    At 20, enters the NBA and gets picked in the 1st round. Contributes to the team!

It's what you do with your time that matters.

As far as the HS player entering the NBA vs going to college. Well, that's another issue. That is about "money" vs "education" vs "exploitation." In the end, it's the kid's decision. But he will suffer if all he has is HS degree with a D- average.

What will he do after the NBA? Sit around? Spend his millions? Education will be his decision. But if he choses not to, then he will have to deal with it later.

12. DavidS

Exactly!

Either the American basketball teaching system changes or get the hell out of the way and make room for the International players.

13. spence99

spence99 Member

The NBA would be better off to develop some of these high school draft picks in the minors before they play in the NBA. While there are a few excemptions, most high schoolers aren't ready for NBA action. If a team could draft them and develop them in the minors for a couple of years, the NBA would be better. Right now, high schoolers who aren't ready yet, take the roster spot of a veteran who could contribute more, hence the high schooler brings down the quality of play in the NBA.

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

Let's hope this year they have the Ginobilli's to close out a series.

If not would there be a new choke city in Texas?

15. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Who, exactly, have the Spurs choked against since Duncan got there?

I'll tell you:

'98: Beat Phoenix (the higher seed in rd. 1), then lost to Utah - eventual WC champions (Duncan, btw, was injured in the 2nd game of that series)

'99: Lost to, well 1 game to Minnie & one to NY; won 15 other ones in the playoffs.

'00: Duncan didn't play in the playoffs, lost 3-1 to Kidd led Suns.

'01: Beat Minnie, Beat Dallas (D. Andersen got injured by J. Howard, Elliot coming back from kidney TRANSPLANT); lost to eventual NBA champion LA Lakers

'02: Beat Seattle (despite losing Duncan for a game); then lost to eventual NBA champion LA Lakers.

As I see it, the Spurs HAVE NOT CHOKED AT ALL!! They lost series to either the eventual WC champion or NBA champion every single year. Otherwise, when Duncan was healthy they took care of business and beat the teams they should. Spurs have won more playoff games than any team sans LA since '98. Often with sqauds filled with names that don't exactly roll off the toungues of NBA fans. Chokers are teams FILLED with great talent who consistently fail to advance in the playoffs, or even make the playoffs (you, I'm sure, can think of a couple of those, huh?)

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Euro player is a basketball player, an American player is a basketball player.

Teams should take the ones that will best help them to win, regardless of whether they are European or American. I don't really care where they are from, and I hate arguing it. They are all basketball players. If people don't think Lebron James will be any good but Euro players will be, then we can watch and see what happens. If players think Lebron James will put any and all Eupropean players in their place we can wait, watch and see. And if one scenario or the other turns out to be true it really doesn't speak for the status of either ALL American players or ALL Euro players. Whatever system be it High Shcool, Europe, College, or other turns out the best players for a time, there will start to be an influx of those players in the league. The game will shift and evolve.

By the way the League's most valuable player is neither American nor European, but played in the U.S. collegiate system. Competition should mean that the best players from wherever will get a chance to play in the NBA.

17. mhan

mhan Member

kidd lead? wrong. kidd himself was injured in all but one of those games iirc. spurs have nobody to blame for that one except themselves. and getting swept by the lakers in 2001 was inexcusable.

18. DavidS

Yep. Exactly. What he said.

And to clarify, I'm not saying that ALL American taught players are not ready to contribute.

I'm just saying, on a whole, the quality of the NBA has gone down (it's getting better due to the International players) because most players don't get enough basketball schooling (quality, i.e. other than dunking) when they are young.

Guys like Garnett and Amare are able to come in a contribute immediately because of their natural gifted talent.

But what about the other guys that don't' have natural gifts? It's the rest of the "good players" that need this training.

Just because they can jump and dunk isn't good enough anymore.

#58 DavidS, May 10, 2003
    Last edited: May 10, 2003
  19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Jackson hospitalized; may miss Sunday's game

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson underwent an angioplasty Saturday after experiencing tightness and pain in his chest for about a week.

The procedure to open Jackson's left anterior descending artery lasted a little over two hours, team spokesman John Black said.

"There was over 90 percent blockage,'' Black said. "The main threat would have been a massive heart attack.''

Black said a bypass operation wasn't necessary.

It's possible the 57-year-old Jackson will be able to coach Sunday's fourth game of the Western Conference semifinal playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs.

He was to remain at Centinela Hospital Medical Center in nearby Inglewood on Saturday night for observation and will undergo further tests Sunday morning.

The procedure was performed at Centinela by Dr. Phillip Frankel and Dr. Vern Hattori of the Apex Cardiology Group.

"If all goes well, he'll be able to coach the game,'' Black said.

Black said it's also possible Jackson will be able to travel to San Antonio on Monday for Game 5 on Tuesday night.

"If all these tests go fine, he'll be cleared to do everything,'' Black said. "The procedure went very well. He's resting comfortably. He'll be on medication for several months.''

Black said Jackson was awake during the procedure.

During an angioplasty, cardiologists thread a balloon into the clogged coronary artery and inflate it to push the blockage aside. A stent, or wire-mesh scaffolding, often is inserted to help keep the artery from further blockages. That was the case for Jackson.

Between 15 percent and 30 percent of patients suffer another blockage within a year, as scar tissue grows around and into the stent.

Jackson has coached nine championship teams to tie former Boston Celtics coach Red Auerbach for the most in NBA history. Jackson's teams are 161-58 in the postseason for a record .735 winning percentage, and his 161 playoff wins are the most ever.

He coached the Chicago Bulls to six championships in nine years and is going for his fourth title in as many years with the Lakers.

Jackson underwent tests Friday before the Lakers beat San Antonio 110-95, cutting the Spurs' lead to 2-1 in the best-of-seven series.

Doctors wanted to complete all tests Friday, but Jackson decided to wait until after the game. Assistant coach Jim Cleamons ran Saturday's practice and will lead the team Sunday if Jackson can't.

"We all know that he had some concerns,'' Cleamons said. "We realized he wasn't feeling 100 percent. We're happy and relieved the procedure was successful and hopefully we'll see him tomorrow.''

Cleamons said Jackson approached him during practice recently and said he felt tightness in his chest.

"We were holding our fingers crossed that he would be able to make it through the game,'' Cleamons said, referring to Friday night's contest at Staples Center.

"He wasn't his usual self -- his color, his demeanor,'' Cleamons said. "There were a couple times during the game when we asked him how he was feeling.''

Cleamons said he was notified after Saturday's practice that the operation was complete.

Black said he wasn't aware if Jackson had a history of heart problems.

"I think there's some concern,'' Black said when asked how the players reacted to the news. "Everyone's pretty optimistic. Phil told them something yesterday, they didn't know the specifics. Phil told them last night he wasn't going to be here today.''

Reporters weren't informed of the procedure until after player interviews were finished.

Black said 81-year-old Lakers assistant Tex Winter was yelling at one point during Friday night's game, prompting Jackson to say: "Tex, calm down. You're going to give me a heart attack.''

Jackson missed three games because of a kidney stone that was removed on Feb. 24. Before that, he had coached 1,249 regular-season and playoff games without missing any in nearly 13 seasons.

His teams have won 25 straight playoff series -- 12 with the Bulls and 13 with the Lakers.

20. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

[​IMG]