1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Guys, I've been vocal here and to Lance directly about football talk ad nauseam. But, I get excited when I here the Prop Gents get excited like they were this morning. They were talking matchups with Mavs, talking about the 2005 bad blood with Dallas. They were getting a bit hot in defending their opinions, and it's exciting to here. They're genuinely amped about last night just like us. I enjoy those guys. Call it whatever, but I think they're funny and entertaining....even when I sometimes feel they should lean a bit more to the Rockets with their coverage.

Past few days they would shame anyone attempting to call in about the Spurs or the Rangers. Screw that, this is Houston.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Jesus H. Stuck in traffic. Turn on 790 and 610 and it's all NFL draft. COME ON. It's less than 24 hours after our first division title in 20 years and you are talking about a damn draft that is two weeks away?!?! I get it. Football is king in Houston. But come on. 365 days a year? I swear if Clowney discovered an infected zit on his ball sack these guys would rather talk about his scrotal issues instead of rockets basketball.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He does that in general though. Not just to basketball. A lot of the LZ shtick is about non sequitur, and then he attributes it to ADD. Which is ok, sometimes it's funny. But this morning I think 80% of parts of the show that I listened to were Rockets-centric.

Some of the football focus is intentional. It's how 610 keeps its high ratings, and LZ just so happens to be much better at football analysis than anything else. But the rest of the perceived bias against the Rockets is just fans looking for an angle, something to make them feel slighted.

It's ok. The coverage of the Rockets is much better today than it was twenty or even ten years ago, thanks to the Internet, Clutchfans, and the more ubiquitous nature of the product. Do I want our radio hosts being more critical like people from the northeast, lobbing Morey a bunch of hardballs when he comes on the air? Not really.

4. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to be a huge Lance fan back in his 610 and 1560 the game days but these guys can be straight trash at times. It's a joke how awful Adam and Lance are together. I think Adam does a better job when Lance isn't in. Even on today's show, they made it a point to say we do talk Rockets basketball. If you're having to tell your audience on air that you do talk Rockets basketball, that's not a good sign.

I will give Michael Conner a lot of credit. He does a great job talking bball in general. He's better than those guys.

I will say this though.. I know I'm probably in the minority here but I think Mike Meltzer and Seth Payne do a better job compared to anything 790 has to offer and other 610 talk shows. They do a great job talking Rockets in my personal opinion.

5. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

This *10000000

That's me to a tee. Can't listen to Lance anymore. His rockets knowledge seems very superficial and he's very dismissive of adam's opinion. Their rockets talk is cringe worthy to me. Maybe our tastes have changed. I mainly listen to npr and occasionally pandora when I'm in the mood for music.

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I actually think adam is the problem. Lance just challenges adam and adam wimps out and back tracks. Adam seems to lose a lot of confidence. I do hate when lance forces his offensive line talk. Or forces nfl talk.

Michael is actually pretty good with lance. Has good takes and doesn't take crapfrom either of them.

I've stongly considered just cutting off morning radio. But they have been talking rockets lately

7. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Grantland: Bill Don't Lie, Lowe Post, BS Report

The Starters too.

I don't know of anything that's pure Rockets talk.

A lot of people don't like Simmons but he's the best media personality in sports IMO. Zach Lowe is amazing too.

These are all posted the day of btw

#607 WhoMikeJames, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  8. buffalobills!!!

It's the exact opposite in SA. Lol.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm stuck listening to XM Sirious ESPN NBA . . .. they suck

Rocket River

10. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I've criticized Adam and Lance in the past, but I have to give them props for today's show. Lots of Rockets talk, including D Morey for almost a full hour.

Also Lance knocked it out the park with Tony "The Hatchet Man" Valentine this morning. Morey was cracking up.

11. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

When I want to hear straight sports talk I listen to Charlie Palillo and various rockets podcasts.

12. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I just heard today's show and Lance at one point calls the Rockets "The Texans" on accident and called the Mavericks "The Blazers"...This guy is all over the place...

13. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Do you also fall asleep at the wheel? Charlie is super boring and always a debbie downer. He knows his stuff but I wish he brought more to the table.

Lance is a complete joke. So is John Lopez. Rich Lord. I dunno how some of these ppl get on the radio and barely know any players in the league.

14. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Always get PO when any radio hosts say "so you just turn in, hear non-Rockets talk, and assume we haven't talked about them all day." That's not the point at all. This city can talk ALL DAY about anything football related but cant give more than 30 minutes to the Rockets. I honestly don't care if AP goes to the Cowboys, The draft in 2 weeks, or what the Titans do at number 2. The only number 2 I care about is the 2 seed. So frustrating.

15. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

I was listening to 790 on the way to work. They were talking about the Rockets game the whole time. When they went to commercial I flipped to 610. They were breaking NFL schedules, not the Texans, but other teams. Then Nick said they would talk about the Rockets in 20 minutes. WTF?

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I listened from 6:30 to 7:15 (only because I'm friends with Jim the producer). They were ALL OVER the NFL schedules being released. It was as if the Rockets didn't even play last night.

Made me immediately think of this thread.

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I flipped the radio on for a bit and heard a slightly racist impression of prigioni.

I turned it off.

Dude is from Argentina, not Italy.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rockets talk is over. NFL season is here. Schedule. Draft. Etc.

19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Lance doesn't deny that when he does the impression, it's in Italian.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yep. The 790 callers were already asking Morey about the offseason - lulz.