1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I really don't believe in this caller driven radio non sense. It's not entirely about that, it is to a great extent but explain why every time I listen to Pallilo, there's plenty of rocket callers wanting to discuss the rockets but when I listen to the proper gentleman, there is rarely any. Do Rocket fans just appear in the afternoon?? They know what the topic is before the pick up the line, proper gentelman which Lance dictates has a preference to take in more Football callers. It's so obvious that he runs all over Adam and forces the issue with football discussion.

I am seeing more and more rocket fans in the general public this season now that they are back on TV, more folks I see walking around in Rocket gear when I got to the malls and stuff. The general public is realizing now that we have a great player in Harden and they are taking notice. They still won't be nearly as popular as the Texans but my point is, I don't think it's entirely because the proper gentleman do not get rocket callers, it's more because the topic is pushed by Lance since he's a football guy. Everyone knows his dad was a coach and this is his sport of preference. That's fine but it sucks when there it's obvious that he tries his best to limit the basketball conversation on his show.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I stopped listening a long time ago. I tune in time to time after a big win or a big performance from Harden just to see if they are giving it any run and sure enough they normally don't. It's just occasionally tuning in to see if things changed, not moronically listening daily to hear rockets talk, that would be pure torture.

I Rely on Adam& Matt's podcast and Clutch's podcast for rocket conversation now days.

Also those pointing out the mandatory 15 minute sessions with Rocket guest during the proper gentelman does not count. They have to talk Rocket's when Morey or Blank are on the line, they have no choice, not doing it out of free will.

3. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Gonna keep my rant going here....if you had a 15 minute segment from Bill O Brien, good lord, Lance will make that the topic of the day and go on for the rest of the show about the interview. When you have say Morey on for 15 minutes, the topic shifts dramatically right after they get off the line and back to college football or the Texans.

4. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. I know there are more Rocket callers. I myself called in a few years ago and the 1st thing they ask "what do you wanna talk about". They screen their calls. There's no reason why Rocket talk should be mixed in with Aggie football or Astros roster moves. My personal opinion is they screen their calls and take more offseason Texans calls over anything else.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just listen to Pallilo and you should be good. He talks Rockets all day every day.

He's the only show I listen to. Besides Nick and Lopez (since my buddy is the producer).

6. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Wait. So do like, none of you have smartphones and/or know what a podcast is?

Listening to radio in 2015? Wha?

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Adam always talks about the Rockets. He's a real fan.

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lance is a moron who is holding Adam back from talking Rockets. Problem is Lance doesn't know much about Rockets, NBA or basketball in general and doesn't want to be shown up for that. Instead he goes on talking eggball, even to the point of talking irrelevant stuff to minimize Rockets talk.

Anyway I enjoy the Charlie P show. He talks plenty Rockets and is clearly the most insightful talk show host in Houston.

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I love Charlie P. Even when he's talking Texans or non Rockets related, he's just so much better to listen to. He's no non sense sports talk.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Here we go again...

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lance likes the game of basketball. He just doesn't love it and he gets very defensive when some call him out on the lack of basketball knowledge.

What I am trying to say is that he may know his X's and O's but he doesn't watch ball (like you mentioned) and that's pretty clear.

12. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The funny thing is that Charlie P talks lots of the rockets, sometimes it seems to be too much, but he knows what he is doing regardless of a talk of football or basketball.

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Been listening to Charlie all day today, nothing but rockets talk, close to all callers calling in are having takes about Harden game last night and the MVP race between him and Curry, Beverly debate about weather he's a legit PG, all sorts of Rockets conversation. Proper Gentlemen so obviously screen the topics to limit the Rockets ones.

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The thing is Charlie has a good sense of what's relevant in Houston and focuses on that. Doesn't have an agenda.. His favorite sport is Baseball but totally understands that the astros are the least relevant right now so he rarely brings them up.

15. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Listening to the Proper Gentleman Podcast from this morning, here is the breakdown of roughly the first 1.5 hours.

First 6:00 minutes: Rockets talk before Lance turns the page and goes into Adrian Peterson.
    6:00 - 30:00: It then goes on to Texans and Football up to Minutes 30 of their pod cast. 30:00 - 34:00 : Back into the rockets for 4 minutes.
    34:00 - 44:00 Back to Texans for 10 minutes.
    44:00 - 46:00 Adam comes back from the break with Rockets update for 2 minutes before it goes back to Bob McNair and Texans.
    46:00 - 76:00 Talk about Texans and Ed Reed for 30 minutes
    76:00 Joel Blank comes on the line for the mandatory 15 minutes of Rocket talk.

So aside from the Joel Blank segment, The Rockets got 12 minutes of coverage in the first 1.5 hours of the proper gentleman show while the Texans/Football coverage got 64 minutes of coverage.

What a joke...

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The issue here is that we as a community make up a very small portion of Houston sports fans. I'm rare in that I love all 3 sports equally, so I don't necessarily mind listening to the Texans Talk, but I also don't listen to sports radio all that much. But, in general, the average Houstonian is very ignorant about sports in general, and ESPECIALLY about basketball. The callers you get on the Charlie P. show are definitely not the common denominator when it comes to sports radio listeners. Most people don't even realize their radio dials go past 610.

17. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

This and this one of the things that make Charlie the best. He loves baseball and prefers to talk about that, but forces the Rockets conversation because he knows that they deserve it. It's like he's helping listeners who don't know better understand that the Rockets are relevant. Matt Thomas is good at that too. I used to be a Lance fan, but he's regressed so much since being with Adam. Those two are clowns.....I just turn and listen to John Aggie Lopez and Nick Can't Get Wright *sigh* lol It is what it is.....Not complaining though because I don't rely on sports radio for information or knowledge.

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Sounds about right. What's really funny is when they have Rockets guests on or callers on to talk about the Rockets and they try to segway or change the subject back to football anyway possible. The millisecond that they're done with their bball obligations, they run from Rockets talk like it's a building on fire. Then they come back some days in a big puffed-up defense and act like it's all caller driven and they can't understand why no one wants to talk Rockets, and then of course, jump into football talk quicker than a fat kid jumping into a pile of debbie cakes.

I had to razz on Lance's twitter a little bit. Of course he has 0 posts about Rockets or Harden even though he co-hosts a morning local sports show for the official Rockets broadcasting station. He posts:

"Just heard this exact quote from scout: "No lie - Jaxon Shipley just went HAM on his pro day. He was ready to eat. Couldn't believe it."

@LanceZierlein When I hear nonstop NFL Exercise News during Rockets #pursuit of a ring: http://i.qkme.me/3qg64w.jpg
    [​IMG]

He returns all salty with: I work for http://NFL.com . Get me a job with http://NBA.com and we can talk.

Maybe someone remind him he's a local sports radio guy for this city called "Houuuuuu-stonnnn" with a 2-time champion basketball team making major noise right now?

Maybe everyone should call in and say they want to talk Combine and try to draw up a long serious conversation about techniques to maximize your calf raises, and long convo's about what to eat to really get that .001 second off your 40 time, and a big conversation about choice of cleats, and grass length preference when broad jumping. All that super interesting stuff we need round-the-clock coverage of. See how long you can stretch it out. Like yeah I like heard a lot of guys put raw eggs in their shoes to help their shuttle run time. But it has to be cage free brown eggs, etc.

#498 cdrive, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Double on this. Charlie's 1st love by far is baseball, yet baseball in this town is abysmal, and so being the local sports radio professional that he is, he talks about the team currently PLAYING and doing rare good things.

20. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

We are talking about basketball right???LOL