1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So what are some good pod casts that focus on Houston sports and are released daily? I agree with your issues with local stations, but they are the only ones talking about the teams I care about.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

True I do listen to the starters from time to time.

Anyone here know the schedule for rockets talk on 790? Like the weekly visit with morey, Rocket power hour with Matt Bullard, etc. Really the only time they will focus on rockets is when they are forced to because they have guest.

As for Adam Clanton, I know he's a huge rocket fan but he's been completely taken over by Lance who is a football fanatic and doesn't care for basketball. Recently I've noticed Adam has just kind of given in and become a Texan fanatic himself and hasn't tried to force much rocket talk into the program which really is a disappointing. Lance has a stronger personality and of course has the Houston general population backing him in wanting to hear nothing but texan talk.

Charlie is the only one that gives the Rocket's their due time on the radio.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texans are finished......NFL draft talk starts NOW!

4. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Yes and complain about how the turf is getting everyone injured. Vince Young needs to be discussed too, we need to take a chance on him asap!

5. GetThatLight

GetThatLight Member

Just going to say it: Adam Clanton might be the biggest Dbag in the H.

Took 790 off my presets because it ruins my morning when I hear him bro on and on about how he hates raccoon or whatever other non-sports topic.

<3

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So 790 has a 10 minute segment with someone from the Rockets every morning in the PGS Show. A 45 minute - 1 hour segment with Matt Bullard in the Pallilo drive home show and a quick segment with McHale in the Pallilo drive home show too.

Proper Gentlemen of Sports - Adan n Lance

Mondays 7:50 - 8:00 - Craig Ackerman
    Tuesdays 7:50 - 8:00 - Joel Blank / Daryl Morey (depending on Morey's schedule) - Usually Blank
    Wednesdays 7:50 - 8:00 - Calvin Murphy
    Thursdays 7:50 - 8:00 - Joel Blank / Daryl Morey (depending on Morey's schedule) - Usually Morey
    Fridays 7:50 - 8:00 - Tad Brown

Charlie Pallilo Drive Home Show

Usually Wednesdays with Bullard
    Usually Thursdays 5:00 PM with McHale depending on the Rockets schedule

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Charlie has been practically begging listeners to talk rockets for the last 2 weeks... especially when nobody seems to call in to talk Texans after Texans wins (ironic, isn't it?). There's probably been more call-in and discussion about the College football playoffs in this city than there has been about the Rockets... and this is a terrible college football city.

At first, everybody was blaming the CSN thing for lack of interest... but with wide-spread viewership (along with several national TV games), the stark reality is that this front-running town really won't get into a team until they're on the cusp of truly contending (and nobody will be able to make that determination with the Rockets in December).

The hosts can only do so much... if the public wants to talk about other things, they can't keep steering the conversation away from that.

8. SpEnCeR

SpEnCeR Member

Charlie Pallilo's segments with Matt Bullard are pretty good. You should tune in if you want good Rockets talk.

9. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

1. Who is AC?

2. In all of Houston sports radio, I think Matt Thomas in the only guy who will talk about the Rockets on a regular basis, that's not surprised considering his background with the Rockets. Charlie on the other hand, will talk a bit due to job obligation but he is also football first guy. 610 is a joke, that I will agree, but same as for the 790 morning show, they are just the same group of guys as in 610 but even with much less knowledge on hoops.

10. sabesque

sabesque Member

You cant talk about Texans almost exclusively for months and months and then expect to a Rockets audience to show up just because you start bringing it up. They made it a Texans-centric product.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The 790 morning show is a joke, I don't know whom made the decision on 790 but I think the show right now probably targeting for the 18-25 group of listeners, which totally not making any sense to me for a morning drive time show.

Their show is just another Jay Mohr wannabe show which is pretty pathetic.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think that's a big part of it. The Rockets have the 3rd best record in the NBA and by any objective analysis are having an outstanding season, especially given the injuries they've sustained. But this is also an organization that hasn't been out of the first round more than once in 17(and now going on 18) years. And guess what? If the playoffs started today, their opponent would be the Clippers who they haven't beaten in a couple years.

If/when they finally get out of the first round again, then you'll start to hear people on the radio(including the hosts) get back on the bandwagon. Until then, expect them to take a backseat to the Texans and God knows what else.

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

AC = Adam Clanton

14. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

790 will a decent amount SOMETIMES.

Most of the time it is truly ridiculous. How much time they spend speculating on who the texans qb might be next year is breathtaking.

Meanwhile we have an 18-5 team that's played without most of their starters for the whole year.....but nothing.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Doesn't add up because the Texans suck and are on their way out the playoffs yet again to follow up the worst record ever and yet the talk radio was full of Texans. At least the Rockets have some championship history and are currently doing great.

This is why I hope the Texans end up having losing season one after the other until they fall off like the Astros so that the delusional local talk radio eggball fanboys can start talking more Rockets because Rockets are here to stay.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I like his stuff, prefer listen to him than Nick Wright...

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

They actually talk much more about the Rockets than the Texans.. 610 is the worst for me

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Texans have been out of the first round more recently and more often than the Rockets. Plus until yesterday, they were in the playoff hunt. I don't think it's right, but the Rockets probably will have to accomplish something this postseason in order to become a more frequent topic of discussion on local sports radio.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

The only broadcast worth listening to in 610 is Mike and Seth Mad Radio

20. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

They will talk about anything you call them about. However in Houston the Texans will come first regardless of record, as 2-14 proved. The Rockets will need to advance far in the playoffs multiple years to knock the Texans off the top spot. Like I said, if you call into the show and want to talk about the Rockets they'll listen and respond but the Texans have a huge QB issue right now so a lot of Rockets talk will get pushed back.