1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Defense - and the culprit is...???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 27, 2018.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

In no particular order:

1) Losing Ariza and Luc - Those were our starting and backup 3's last season(with Green occasionally playing a few minutes once he joined the team). They've been replaced with Ennis and Melo. The former has gotten injured already and isn't good enough when healthy to duplicate what either former Rocket did. And the latter is Melo who doesn't play a lick of defense.

2) Capela's decline - I don't know if it's the preseason injuries, a lack of desire after getting paid, or that stupid hair dye, but Clint is not the same player. Not even close. He was key to the Rockets' success last season. Remember that the team was 42-3 when he, CP3, and Harden all played. He also dominated Towns and Gobert in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

3) Backup center - There isn't one. Nene hasn't played yet this season. Neither has Joe Cheese. And Frankenstein isn't good enough to see real minutes. Which leaves D'Antoni going with a small lineup when Clint's off the floor and it's getting destroyed by opposing big men. Our interior defense is bad enough when Clint's out there. It's non-existent when he goes to the bench.

4) Bzdelik's retirement - I'm not gonna get into why he quit and whether it was related to Melo signing here. All I know is it's painfully obvious now that he was just as important if not moreso to the team's success the last 2 seasons as D'Antoni. I'm not gonna harp on Morey for not having a replacement for him lined up given how late in the offseason he quit. But if the coaching situation isn't addressed soon. they may as well write off this season cuz D'Antoni doesn't have a clue on that end of the floor and Rogers is not gonna be able to fill the void. Yes, personnel is also an issue as I stated earlier, but Bzdelik managed to have the Rockets playing really good defense last season even when guys like Harden and Ryno were on the floor.

gotsis, Deuce, mikeiah and 3 others like this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

That nka @Zboy!!! REJOICE!!!

3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Cluth fans edge today i see. Relax homie lol.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

High Vibrationz and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. sheb

sheb Member

This is stupid, it’s not like everyone else stays on the floor and only Melo comes in

We make multiple substitutions

The issue is the weak side defense when capela goes out or gets switched to a small guard and has to play the perimeter

JayGoogle and kjayp like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Is it crow season yet or we still gotta wait til game 6,7,8,9. The system tho. Playing with harden and cp3 will automatically make him better

We knew 34 year old melo was washed up but he’s taken another level of decline But it’s still Westbrook’s fault.

Mazulis, Reeko and Zboy like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Top 5 defensive teams as of now are:

1) Boston
    2) Milwaukee
    3) Indiana
    T-4) Denver
    T-4) Miami

They are all giving up 100.7 points per possessions or less. They are playing defense.

8. Zergling

Zergling Member

If Denver is now an elite defensive team, look out for them.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

didnt u hear, man... they're all scrubs that are a dime a dozen and easily replaceable... at least that's what CF told me... lol

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Silver buffed the young athletic player and nerfed the savvy vet

11. macan

macan Member

indeed, they are all workers..wish we still had at least two of them with the team...sth needs to be done with current roster

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Bev was part of the deal that got us CP3.

Ariza was offered 15 mil by Phoenix. The Rockets could not afford to pay him that(plus the luxury tax).

Luc should've been resigned. No argument there.

Harrell was an unfortunate throw-in in the CP3 deal. I wish we could've held onto him.

13. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's been actually playing pretty decent post defense. obviously he struggles on the perimeter. but this is the NBA. just having tucker as the only good perimeter defender aint going to cut it. and please don't tell me that chris paul is a good defender anymore. he's another weak link, scrappiness and all. and then harden can't guard no one. we knew this going in. we knew this is not the final product. so why bash him? he scores in ways that none other on this team can.

kjayp likes this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That culprit would be Morey sir

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Certain players when you watch their foot work and the way they move on the court against gravity, you just KNOW they can't play defense no matter how hard they try and Melo is one of them. Nick Young is another. And so is Lonzo Ball. Look at Lonzo Ball's foot work and body language as he move up and down the court...it's not built to play defense.

16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The clippers picked on Melo like Houston picked on Melo last year in okc. Keptsetting picks with his man to get him switched on the ball handler.

It’s not all Melos fault but he’s a big reason for the falloff. Anybody with eyes can see he’s being attacked defensively.

Zboy likes this.
  17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

There are 24 teams playing better defense than us this year, hence the thread.

BaselineFade and Zboy like this.
  18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Is harden one of them?

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I blame everything on MCW :D

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree with what yer sayin... it jus always pisses me off when our guys are discounted as scrubs and disrespected on this board - and it happens all the time... to many on this board, unless yer a superstar - yer a scrub...smh...