1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LA Times] Kobe was proud of Wafer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jan 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So often, the difference between a kid that makes it in the league and a kid that doesn't boils down to confidence. Given the right team, the right coach and staff, the right opportunity, a player that appeared headed for nowhere can "suddenly" blossom. We're seeing that with Von Wafer. While more was expected of him, in a way, we're seeing that with Brooks, as well. We saw it when Scola finally got the chance to be a starter.

It's exciting to watch. You've got to root for guys like that. The Rocks have been blessed with several players who became special because they were given a chance under the right circumstances. We can all think of some. Mario and Chuck are perfect examples.

2. sab504

sab504 Member

Really..

If i had a chance to spend time learning basketball in the summer with kobe or tmac.. Seriously, who would you think I would choose?

Its a no brainer.

Tmac is a world class loser who hasnt won jack *****

Kobe has done it and will probably be doing it again in the near future. Even though I hate his guts to the max, I wouldnt mind learning a thing or two from this guy. You would be dumb not to.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Very encouraging that Von wants to work out and learn from Kobe. It's the basketball equivalent of studying at Rhodes or Juilliard for a summer. On the downside, if Von improves through it and Kobe sees that, why wouldn't he try to lure Von back to the Lakers? You think he would hone this kid's skills only send him back to a conference rival so easily? I don't think so.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Von is a complete Free Agent we have no rights to him beyond this year....he is gonna cost a lot...

DD

5. onreego

onreego Member

Hopefully we have the edge with him since our team gave him the chance he deserved. And as long as he doesnt have Carl's agent, I'm sure Morey can work his magic. ;)

6. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

I was trying to tell ya to sign that guy in the preseason, now everybody is begging for him to get signed. Watch him leave this summer

7. DaDakota

It will all come down to money..I think the most the Rockets can offer is the full MLE...unless they unload a big contract for an expiring one.....(cough Tmac for Marbury cough).

:)

DD

8. yobod

yobod Member

I just don't understand how you people don't understand that trading T-Mac THIS season would completely defeat the purpose of everything we're trying to do for 2010. What would be the point of jumping the gun? Von Wafer is NOT the guy any of us are envisioning as being the guy that we end up signing with the money that's going to come off the books, is it? Ok then....drop the subject.

9. DaDakota

I agree with you about 2010...but why wait, if you can change for a better plan NOW?

Why by one of several fish in 2010, when you can be the ONLY fish in 2009?

DD

10. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

Why 2010, there are so many other teams with as much $ as the Rox (signing Yao again) , are you certain the Rox will sign Wade or Bosh, or even Josh. They will still need a 2 guard if Grady is gone

11. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

DD, I can see why you are so high on Von. His recent performance, especially the one against the Lakers were tremendous. But if no one among TMac, Battier, and Artest will be traded within this season, I do not see the current amount of playing time for Von in the second half of the season. If that will happen, Von's cost won't be increasing so he is not going to cost a lot in the off season.

Carl Landry had played at an extremely high efficiency the entire second half of last season and playoffs. Look what he was able to get. As I read, in the coming off season, teams will be even more tight on spending.

Now do anyone of you think that other teams will trade a top-20 draft pick for the current Von straight forward? If the answer is no, then that's a clue how much Von is valued right now.

I am all for it if Morey lock Von now for cheap, in the range of 1-2 million 3-4 years. It is ridiculous that some one here suggested 3 million to MLE for Von.

12. Ashes

Ashes Member

I really like Wafer.

13. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

1 million for the next 4 yrs, LOL, I'm sorry but you are stupid and blind. This is what pissing me off about this site, they just let any moron post on here acting like they know the game. Only because he plays 2nd string behind Mac doesn't mean his value is going to go down. If he plays like he has been and keeps proving himself before Mac comes than it won't matter. . GMs won't forget about his play when he was starting. He is legit and has proven himself.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Good for Von if he keeps up this sort of play and improves his defense he will be coveted by many teams. Working with Kobe over the summer (who actually works over the summer) will only help his game

kobe was interviewed by kcal 9's john ireland right after the rockets game and he asked him how he was able to hit that shot over battier after not shooting well most of the game and kobe said it was because of all the work he puts in over the gym by himself shot after shot that you may miss a few in a row but then you get into a groove and all that work put in then gave him the confidence he has now to just go out there and do it.

compare that to our guard and you have the difference from being a champion and being the best in the game to a guy who we get amazed when he scores over 20 points a game.

and i know i posted this a while back over the summer but no one took note of it but its all just from a friend's brother who saw tmac vacationing in mexico over the summer. he said tmac was walking around with a limp and with some pretty "ghetto" looking girls.

kind of funny how something like that makes sense now

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Problem is that when Tmac comes back, if Wafer doesn't get any PT, he's going to want to go somewhere where he can get some...

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Id rather have Clyde Drexler come in to teach some to Von rather than Kobe. Kobe would lure him back!

17. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

It's too bad he won't be here next year.

19. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

After the Rox and Lakers I have to admit I couldn't sleep well that night , not because of the loss but of what you said. I am fearful that the Lakers would pick him up in the offseason after his performance against their team. I think Von would prefer LA than here , especially if Tmac is still on the team.

20. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Ppl should also give credits to Coach A, there's just something with him that gives young players like Brooks/Landry/Wafer fire and confidence.