1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving's Potential

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Feb 25, 2012.

?

What is Kyrie Irvings ceiling?

1. Elite

96 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. All-Star caliber

94 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Top 10 PG

21 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Lol

23 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Outlier

Outlier Member

PG position hardest to learn? What? I guess that's why that position has so many damn good players right now... Or how about the fact that centers with little skill are getting paid almost the max salary? Could it be that good skilled centers are rare these days because THAt's the hardest position to learn and not the PG position?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I don't even know what to make of this.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

It doesn't matter what position he plays... he's posting 20+ PER at age 19. 'Nuff said.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Um, you know I'm right. Teams that have won a ring this past decade shows I'm correct. The abundance of great PGs currently in the league shows I'm correct, it isn't important to fill because they are easily replaceable and teams can get by with a mediocre PG, or at least a clutch one. There are only about 3-4 teams right now who badly need a Pg and about 23 teams that need a better front court in order to contend.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah, this is what I would call fool's gold.. Not thinking long term. One good thing can lead to bad things. It's a mirage folks. But to each his own. We will see if this guy can lead a team with terrible big men because all the money is going to him.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

answer the question...what is his ceiling. You apparently don't think *any* new PG can achieve current PG's ceilings. If you do think some current PGs are "Elite" name them.

Or you are just interpreting the word "elite" across all positions and don't think any PG has Elite potential...based on value of the respective positions.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You could use the same argument for small forwards and centers as well.

Only one team has won a title with a dominant center in the last 10 years (06), no team has won a title with a dominant SF (the closest being paul pierce in a 3 HoF roster).

On the flip side, Shooting guards with heavy ball carrying duties and all star power forwards have dominated the title race, in fact an all star power forward has been on every title winning team in the last 5 years and 8 of the last 10.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Can you elaborate? Because I don't understand what you're getting at here. I'm not saying at all that no new pgs can become elite. i'm just saying that if they ever reach that level, it should not be as enamored as having an elite big or wing.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

YeAh I should have put it this way, in order of importance:

Tier 1 = big men (pf/c)
    Tier 2 = wings (sg/sf)
    Tier 3 = point guard

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should get to Rondo, Dwill's level pretty soon barring injuries....
    no jinx

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, I think the pool of people who have the size to play center is just much, much smaller than the pool of people who have the size to play PG.

12. dharocks

Try running a flex, spread PnR, or 1-4 high stack and tell me how unimportant the PG position is.

13. heypartner

but, what's wrong with answering the poll. you seem to be changing the topic to what position is most valuable.

What do you think Kyrie's ceiling is? This isn't a trick question.

14. heypartner

I know, right. Outlier sounds like a big advocate of picking for need in the draft over best available. He sounds like Portland ... poor Portland .... Lost out on MJ and Durant for the strong belief in picking Centers until you land a good one.

Also, the Tier 1, 2, 3 thing has me scratching my head. Not sure what that means. And how come Tier 1 and 2 is made up by two positions each and PGs are by themselves? Totally unfair...I say. Discrimination against the little guy ... Calvin would be upset.

15. heypartner

see how important point guards are. they are so important, you gave them their own Tier. The other two tiers are interchangeable between two different positions. See? You don't need both PF/C to have a low post game. You only need one. You don't need both a SG/SF for your wing scorer, you only need one. But the faciliator, floor general is so specialized a role, that it needs it's own Tier.

Thanks for illustrating that for us.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In this league of lesser dominating big men

Point Guard rule supreme

2.Center
    3.SF
    4.PF
    5.SG

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

SF and PF can be interchangeable

SG is pretty important if you are named Kobe or Dwyane.... other than those
    not so much

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If a point guard was so unimportant why did the Knicks suck so badly before Lin?

They have great big men in Chandler/Amare. One of the best scoring wing players in Melo. But their pg spot sucked and that killed the whole team.

19. dharocks

Or look at the Nets when they got JKidd. Or how Nash turned the Suns into a powerhouse. Or what we're seeing from the Clippers this year.

A truly great center affects the game more than an equally great player at any other position, but PG is a close second.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The only exception I might add though would be the Lakers. Dfish is one of the worst starting PGs in the NBA. but they won 2 championships