1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving's Potential

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Feb 25, 2012.

?

What is Kyrie Irvings ceiling?

1. Elite

96 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. All-Star caliber

94 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Top 10 PG

21 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Lol

23 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But, the question is "potential wise." I guess, some of us are interpreting the question differently.

"What is Kyrie Irvings ceiling?"

For me, his ceiling of potential is limit-less at this rate. Now, predictions are different.

btw: I consider elite in this context as elite PG...multiple All-Stars with Elite PG-status at least one year--thus reaching his "ceiling". And I'd say Elite PG over a major part of your career is a synonym for HOFer.

#21 heypartner, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. plates300

plates300 Member

it's a shame he plays for the Cavs. He is pretty danged good and he barely even played in college because he was injured.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everything we wanted Steve Francis to be

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He definitely has the most polished offensive game coming into the league compared to Derrick Rose, Westbrook and John Wall when they came in the league.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy is on his way to becoming a superstar barring injury .....

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am impressed. I haven't seen him play much but from highlights and stats this kid looks great. He doesn't really seem to have quickness or speed but he beats his man off the dribble and has great body control to finish.

He's not as athletic so you can't put him in Westbrook, Rose category but he reminds me of Chris Paul. And he seems to be a much better shooter. His J is already at a high level and hell, I had no idea he was only 19. Wow.

One more thing, he seems to be clutch too. He made few game winning plays, he had that great winning layup against Boston and has hit free throws to put teams away so he is not afraid at all. He is already a star pg in the NBA imo and he can only get better.

7. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Tony parker, except they both score differently and Irving has a better 3pt shot.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I can see Irving becoming like Chris Paul. Maybe in 2 or 3 years, Irving will be just as good, if not better.

And Paul is elite, so...

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They are very similar athletic and scoring wise, judging how CP3 played at a young age. But the turnovers and court vision, setting the pace really seperate them. Kyrie has to improve that part of his game drastically to be considered the best along with Rose, CP3, Rondo, Deron, etc.
    Right now he's more of a scoring PG that will average like 7apg for your team, but only time can tell. He has all the potential in the world and is only 19, so I think he can make that jump.

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Its interesting to see how both Irving and Rubio are going to pan out in the next 5 years.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Outside of Rose there isn't another pg I'd rather start my franchise with.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

I dont like how he's shoot first. People say its because he has weak teammates, but i think its gonna grow into a bad habit in turn a bad career.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Derrick Rose was the same way his first two seasons, averaged about 6 assists and 18 points. And he was older than Kyrie too.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah and he's still a shoot first PG that won't win a ring anytime soon due to his selfishness. I'm just not a believer in PG led teams.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Irving's like an improved version of CP3. He doesn't have as much hype due to the fact that he plays in Cleveland and the FO botched his sidekick pick (LOL that thomas dude as the 4rth pick? Really?! :rolleyes:), but his ball handling skills are already Nash level. Shooting's also ridiculously accurate, 41% from 3 while taking almost 3 attempts a game is no joke.

Plus, he's also young. I consider him the pg version of Brandon Roy, just a really solid pg with no weaknesses, and to be honest I'd trade half the roster for him. Only hope he doesn't have any injuries.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

As others have mentioned, he shares distributing duties with Ramon Sessions which knocks down his assists.

I've mentioned in another thread that players with Irving's level of skill and polish as teenagers are exceedingly rare. Most players who have high levels of success at his age are athletic freaks.

Barring injury, I think at worst he's Sam Cassell with a better 3pt shot.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's only 19 years old, and he's had like half a college season. PG is the hardest position to learn in the NBA, and the fact that he's playing with awful teammates who can't score by themselves accentuates that. I'm probably gonna get flak for this but if I were starting a franchise I'd start it with Irving over anyone else, including Derrick Rose.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

^yeah and the sad inevitable fact is that he will be given a max contract as a sam cassell type player in the future with no hopes of improving thE roster due to how handicapped the team will be since all their money is locked on to the least important position in basketball.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

Btw i think i see the reasoning behind the Tristan pick

20. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sorry typing On a phone is difficult, accidently posted prematurely, anyway i think the reason they chose Tristan is the same reason OKC chose Jeff Green-- so their superstar will have a best buddy on the team which will help convince the player not to bounce to another team.