1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving wants out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets13champs, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

hahaha that TMZ article..hillsong playing a role in kyrie living

this is indeed the strangest timeline.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Do you believe Kyrie & LeBron can co-exist?

KA: They have. A lot of it is overblown. This is a group that has gotten us to 3 straight finals. They play great together on the floor. A lot of it is overblown. We haven't seen that animosity talked about in the media.

Vivi likes this.
  3. hlcc

hlcc Member

Kyrie does have some leverage regarding where he'll end up. There's only 2 years left on his contract, if he comes out and states that he will only resign with teams x,y and z every other team will have to think twice about trading significant assets for him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

KA: Whatever the outside narrative is, that's fine. We know the truth inside. We know our job is to be about the players & help them be successful. Our drive is to get better. We didn't complete our goal last year. That drives us.

KA: LeBron remains deeply committed to this organization, this team, & this city. Means a lot to him to be here & competing for championships. That's his goal. The goal is singular: trying to win championships. We're committed to him.

Summation of what happened with Indiana & Paul George?

KA: Well publicized. Don't want to talk about that. We're actively trying to get better.

DG: I will say Indiana could have done better in a deal.

Commissioner says feels bad for what's going on in Cleveland. Have you talked to him?

DG: I have that on my to-do list. I'll talk to him. He was empathetic, a little unusual but he's doing a great job, killing it, A+. Write that too.

LeBron's future?

DG: Again, we do not control all the cards we get dealt. LeBron has been as helpful as he's ever been. He helped with Rose. He's been active. You win a championship, there's a natural "Are you as hungry as you were?" When you lost it like we did, we were closer than people give us credit for. That hunger is strong. He's hungry for this season. Beyond this, I don't know. We're focused on this season.

KA: He's the best player on the planet. We're fortunate to have him & excited about this season. Our goals are aligned: to win a championship.

Kyrie in training camp?

DG: Right now, he's under contract with the Cavs for 2-3 more years. As of now, he's one of our best players. Sure, we expect him in camp.

#644 J.R., Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    snowconeman22 and Vivi like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Two years is a fairly long time. It's more than half of the length of most NBA contracts. The "not going to sign" threat is usually effective only in the last year of a contract. Even that, some teams still gamble on the one-year rental. Look at how teams were willing to take Paul George even though he had clearly stated that he would only go to the Lakers.

A lot can happen in two years.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

2 years is a huge difference between being a one year rental.

A lot can happen in the span of 2 years that could convince that player to want to stay. That's not much leverage on his part since AGAIN there's no rush in trading him prior to a certain deadline or maneuvering around a no-trade clause.

Lebron on the other hand (if he chose to be traded) would have all the leverage in the world. No-trade clause, one year expiring deal, superstar label...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Windhorst:

They accomplished what they set out to do: turn the heat down. They're not focused just on trading Kyrie although they have been in discussions(not offers). They turned down the heat a little bit. Dan Gilbert said they expect him in training camp. Not sure that's 100% accurate but did leave the door open. Dan Gilbert did bring up Kobe Bryant in 2007. They wanted to keep their options open & aren't hellbent on trading him & trading him soon. I'll be honest, what made my eyes open is Dan Gilbert taking a shot at the Pacers for what they got for Paul George. Trade talks they had, the Pacers were willing to trade George to Cleveland for Irving. Cavs wanted to do it for Love. They (& Nuggets) thought they had a deal. Pacers said we never agreed.

When someone says it's fluid, what does it mean?

Non-denial denial. I give them credit for having this press conference & taking questions. I wish more teams would do it. When you say fluid, yes, we may trade him but may not. They're trying to give themselves options.

Vivi likes this.
  8. hlcc

hlcc Member

Yes for players as talented as Paul George or Kyrie Irving, teams will gamble on a one year rental, but they are not willing to offer much in those trades.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But Irving has two years left, not one year. Again, a lot can happen in two years. A bad team could be turned around. A seemingly good destination now might turn into crap two years later. That's why you seldom hear players say, "I want to sign with that team two years from now."

Look how the FA market has changed in just one year.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What assets do they have besides Wiggins? I am assuming they are keeping Towns and Butler.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wiggins & Teague (in December), a 2018 OKC first and that's about it.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

Wiggins - young future star maybe
    Teague - starting pg locked up to replace Irving
    Pick or 2 - room for something later down line or another trade

Pretty solid

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

16. 12power

12power New Member

Irving, meanwhile, returned Wednesday from an overseas trip as a report surfaced about his hipster pastor, Carl Lentz, influencing the point guard’s decision to request a trade. Not that it indicates anything about Irving’s next destination, but Lentz is a regular at Knicks games and close with assistant GM Allan Houston. – via New York Daily News

However, a source told the Daily News that Lentz is not a fan of owner James Dolan, who once banned the pastor from being in the Knicks locker room, family room and team practices. – via New York Daily News

:eek:

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Wouldn't that be interesting. Wiggins ends up back in Cleveland WITH Kevin Love.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

Haha

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Love is just a soft loser who should ask to be traded right now. I have posted something that the Cavs was going to trade him if they were losing the finals, it turns out to be true. When they are winning, it is all about the King. When they are losing, Love is the first one to be named. If I am Love, I just ask to be traded right now. What is a point for him to remain in the Cavs?

Little Bit likes this.