1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyrie Irving is a flat-Earth truther?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Can you expound a little bit further? I was a philosophy major at UT so only took 1 hard science class (physical science)

I know a lot more about logic and reason than science itself but if I remember correctly the scientific method in natural science is based on positive and empirical evidence not the open possibility of other ways things could fill in the gap.

Negative arguments are far weaker than positive arguments.

Definitely correct me where Im wrong. My knowledge lies more in philosophy and the art of argument/logic rather than natural science itself.

2. Mr Chuck Norris

Why does everyone care so much?!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't. I just didn't realize they felt a need to explain away gravitation, and used it to get in a Ludicrous Speed science joke. If they can say stuff like "NASA won't let you fly over Antarctica on the edge of the Earth", I don't see why they just can't say, "spherical bodies aren't a prerequisite of gravity, very large flat bodies can have it, too, duh...Earth does."

I think others find it to be a fun challenge to see what indefensible kink in their logic armor we can come up with.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

That 1 year visit to Duke University obviously wasn't long enough.

5. Buck Turgidson

Because for whatever reason people do actually listen to the famous/actors/athletes. It's best to call the stupids "stupid" as early as possible.

Easy and Yung-T like this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I like it

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  7. Mr Chuck Norris

and then what?

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

In hope of educating some and making them reconsider their believes.

9. Buck Turgidson

you try to avoid the self-perpetuation of stupidity?

What do you suggest?

10. PhiSlammaJamma

I feel like the pattern is consistent from the molecular level to black holes. It is that at some point of accumulated mass the mass becomes spherical ( round ) and the satellites as a collective become a disc around that sphere as they fall in.

With all these magnitudes of accumulation and crunching that seem to be fact, my struggle is that science is telling us that the universe appears to be expanding outward no matter where you set up in the universe. I don't get that. It seems to go against the principles of accumulation that seem so simple and clear.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Mr Chuck Norris

maybe i just don't see the big deal. *shrugs*

12. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

People that attack and insult another for their beliefs are extremely immature and vainly hateful.

Give proof to back your childish insults or stfu you brainwashed sheep.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'm a huge conspiracy theorist (albeit the term was coined by the govt and propagandised that your a weirdo or idiot for being one) and I never eliminate an6 possibility without researching it myself.

My shop foreman, who is quite intelligent, is engulfed in flat earth and is convinced it's flat. After laughing for a good part I decided I'll look into it out of respect.

I spent about 8 hours watching videos and researching this claim. They do provide formulas and make some compelling and interesting arguments. Still not convinced but rather intrigued I decided to look into the people trying to disclaim it. (My rule of thumb is before you get caught up and start believing something listen to the side trying to discredit it).

After spending 8 hours on a Saturday listening to all these flat earth theories, it took literally 20-30 minutes to easily discredit the theories lol...

Geaux Rockets and Yung-T like this.
  16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What were some of the more compelling arguments?

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

After reading those two posts, it's pretty ironic how you're calling other people nutjobs and brainwashed sheeps. I love how people that believe in bible science or conspiracy theories think they're not brainwashed and somehow going the smart way.

RedRedemption and Buck Turgidson like this.
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You're probably familiar with the Moon landing hoax theories, and of course the many sides of Sept 11 theories. Finally, check out Chemtrail theories sometime. There is no limit to what people can come up with. And anything that can't be easily verified first hand is ripe for internet conspiracy discussion. This is how some people get their kicks, they live for this stuff. I have uncles on both sides of my family who are both like this.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Can't believe this thread is this long lol. Every post in this thread should say something to the effect of: "he's either trolling or an idiot, move on."

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well at first just the idea curvature and why we shouldn't see as far on a curved earth as we do but that was before I researched and found the reason why we can.

The one that sticks out the most to me is the paths that airplanes take. This is something I couldn't really find a rebuttal against. Instead of taking straight flight paths, on a round globe it appears they go out of the way to have a layover in cities not in the path of international city to international city. But if you took these same flight patterns and put them on a flat earth it is almost a straight shot including the layovers. Which raises the question of why would plane companies waste the money and jet fuel to go out of the way.