1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Wiltjer to sign with Houston Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow. It's preseason, sure, and it was the Knicks, but this game calls to mind the quote Clutch has on the Front Page from JVG. An offensive juggernaut!

(Nuts! Double post - the other one is in the game thread. First time I've managed to do that)

#121 Deckard, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

1. No one knows this yet
    2. A healthy D-Mo is a HUGE if at this point in time

3. bongman

bongman Member

He is trying to make the roster. Are we expecting something different?

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, tbh, i expect a young player to play smart and for team, not just try to score jacking up bad shots if he wants to make the team. That's why i think KJ right now has a decent chance to be something for us, i didn't have the same idea about him when he was trying (with bad results obviously) to be a go to guy.

Just saying btw...i like Wiltjer and how he's playing, i don't think he's not passing the ball by any means.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. bongman

bongman Member

He is trying to make the roster. Are we expecting something different?
    How many bad shots did he take? If he makes the team, his job is to shoot when open. So if you are on an audition, wouldn't you showoff those skills?

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The game was a blow out and it was his first NBA preseason game, cut him some slack. I think he's good for leverage against DMO negotiations, and honestly if the season goes well he really shouldn't be seeing any PT this year.

7. Mr. Motiejunas

Why did they ever draft/sign Chinanu? Dude won't be with the team in a year ala Nick Johnson.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

@roslolian

Again, i don't think he's not passing the ball by any means, i wasn't talking about Wiltjer, but in general about this concept:

"a young player is trying to make the roster. Are we expecting something different?"

"i expect a young player to play smart and for team, not just try to score jacking up bad shots if he wants to make the team."

9. Remlap

Remlap Member

I'm guessing in garbage time, preseason especially, Wiltjer has a green light from the coach to shoot.
    I"m sure coaches and GM want to see what they've got before they make D-League and roster decisions.
    I'm pretty sure a rook like that would not look to be a black hole and take over a game in a regular season game
    But he DID win the Rox 3 point shootout. LOL.
    That gives him license to shoot

10. Fantasma Negro

He's going to be a viper for two year but once he develops he's going to be a taller Montrezl lol

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would have drafted him based on his FT shooting form by itself.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

He projects well. Only 19 years old with a great frame, athleticism and a good rebounder. Obviously there's a good chance he doesn't work out, but we're a long way from making that call.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Reminds me of a better Novak.

DD

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

DD curse confirmation!

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Certainly a place for guys like this in today's NBA.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we need bench players to bury the games when it's already a blow out. ala warriors. keep raining on them.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You may be right. But people say this about every single player that gets drafted and isn't immediately worthy of being an NBA rotation player. Most recently here in Houston they said this about Clint Capela. Now I'm not sold that Clint has All-Star potential like some seem to believe, but I think he has definitely proven himself to be a good pick.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

He needs to make the team. Can you stretch four?

19. rockets13champs

is there even a way to keep him?

20. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Well, this may be odd to you but players drafted usually played college ball so they are well scouted and teams usually have a good reason to draft players even if it is in the mid-second round. The reason for this is because they are young, cheap, and if you find a good player then you've done a good job. You may not know, but Nanu was a pretty solid big in college in Louisville. Obviously not amazing or anything or else he would have been drafted in the first round. There's a second round for a reason, and we had two second round picks and decided to go with Nanu for a couple of reasons. Obviously people on this board may have been more excited about drafting someone like Felder or Jackson, but it's not like Nanu is a terrible pick.

Not sure about this. Nanu has potential to be a significantly better defensive anchor and rebounder. For example per 40 minutes Nanu averaged 5 block per game his sophomore year and as comparison per 40 minutes Anthony Davis averaged 6 blocks per game his freshman year. Not too far off from a guy who was a bonafide #1 pick. Obviously Nanu doesn't have the other stuff that makes Davis so special, but Nanu is has one thing that can make him a decent player in the league. Harrell in his junior year on other hand only averaged 1.5 blocks per 40 minutes. Per 40 Nanu grabbed 14 boards in sophomore year while Trez grabbed just 10 boards per 40 his junior year. Trez doesn't really project to be a defensive player while Nanu does. Not saying Nanu is going to be any good, but I don't believe they're comparable players. Their play style is different.

Richie_Rich likes this.