1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker: Could he be our everyday LF in 2018?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Shark44, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Is Kyle Tucker ready to be our everyday LF?

1. No, kid needs some more time in the minors to work on a few things.

2. Yes, potential is oozing from him, let's get this party started!

3. Maybe, its still early in Spring Training, let's not hyperventilate over the kind just yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. conquistador#11

Is it wrong for me to wish for a six or seven game losing streak in late June or early July to see him brought up.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Current labor agreement expires after the 2021 season. I suspect this will be an issue that gets bargained.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It is completely stupid and everyone knows it.

The union has been giving away the rights of young players for decades (with very little in return) without a care in the world. Now it's coming back to bite them in the ass in a big way. The contracts and control for young players is so preposterously valuable..and long. Why bother paying a guy once you've already gotten most of his best years.

It's at the very core of why a work stoppage feels unavoidable in a few years

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Very wrong. I expect he'll be up by mid-June with early July at the latest unless he has a bad 1st half. Only way Tucker comes up earlier is that the Astros don't care about paying 4th arbitration year, Astros expect CBA to change in such a way that negates the Super Two loop hole, or something really bad like Altuve and Springer both out for the season with Ohtani dominating such that AL West Title will be competitive.

Edit: With Tucker officially being in AAA, I'm guessing there is a slightly better chance that Tucker comes up in a couple weeks than I had previously thought.

#224 Joe Joe, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes, that was why the caveat requiring them to struggle. No team is going to intentionally do what the poster is suggesting. It is an after thought when it happens. If Trout hadn't been destroying AAA and/or the Angels weren't contenders, they probably would have left him down to get that extra year.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

At least Super 2 is sacrificing a significant number of games, so it works out to 3.5ish years instead of basically a full year. Definitely a broken system for guys. I like rookie wage scales (What those NFL guys were getting was ridiculous without having played), but you can't have a significant number of players hitting FA after their primes are over.

7. Buck Turgidson

We need to stop this "Ted" ****, post-haste. Let the kid be his own self. I'm rooting for Fisher to just wreck shop, but it's good to know there's a guy like that in reserve.

RunninRaven likes this.
  8. Marteen

Marteen Member

It seems people are under the wrong impression of where the nickname Ted comes from. Here's Lance McCullers' explanation.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kyle “the Natural” Tucker.

10. Buck Turgidson

Hobbs

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I saw an article called "Ted Talks" yesterday. I am afraid its viral now and no stopping it.

12. Hemo_jr

Hemo_jr Member

There are gobs of videos on YouTube too. Amazing how fast it spread, once it went vial.

13. conquistador#11

how time flies. this film is 11 years old now. Biggio was on hit 3050, in his final season. Little did the world know, the greatest astro in history was just a teenager swinging at coca cola caps with a stick.

houstonstime and Marteen like this.
  14. finsraider

finsraider Member

It's a weird and crazy thing to say, but despite a roster stacked with great hitters, Tucker might be the best pure hitter of all of them not named Altuve.

That swing is like a perfect blend of science and art.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Easy there.

Even Altuve struggled a little when he first came up.

I expect his debut season to end up somewhere in between Bregman's and Correa's. If he has a better season than Correa's rookie year, look out.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The part of me that wants to spend all my free time around a campfire roasting hot dogs and farting also feels like this sort of thing will eventually anger the Baseball Gods. I've kind of shied away from it as well.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Line change in a week? Gurriel and Ted up...Davis and Fisher down.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Very well could happen... especially if the front office anticipates that the super 2 stipulations will be thrown out in the next CBA.

Fisher's defense worries me more than his offense... but even then, his offensive ceiling isn't necessarily of limitless potential. He does need regular AB's to get better.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like Fishers potential. Super fast on the basepads, a nice left swing, and you can minimize his defensive limitations by sticking him in left. I'd be more than happy to accept growing pains with the type of team we have, except...

TED. You can't keep that kind of talent down.

travfrancis likes this.