1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htown_kid1, Jul 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Wow.

Prime Shaq/Duncan are both top 12 GOAT players. And if we had a center of their caliber, you MIGHT consider him to be the lead dog instead of Brooks.

I'm at a loss for words.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

This is the silliest thing you've said since "Why can't Bagwell throw left-handed?" And you've had some pretty silly

3. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

personally i would like to see kyle start as well. although AB is the better overall player of the two, i beleive that the team would benefit from Aaron coming off the bench. even though Aaron has been made great strides in his passing game since he's been in the league, he is a shoot first guard, (as we all know.)

I.E.

last year we had a plethora of games where although we were clearly the better team, we'd come out slow and get some iso going on, etc. and would be fighting our way back the entire game. granted we'd win some of those games, it kills we to watch the rockets beat the lakers and celtics, then get blown out by eastern-conference playoff-less teams like philly and indiana.

the way I see it is, if Lowry were to start, we would have less of these "lack of hustle in the first half games," becuase we would have to dig ourselves out of these slumps. Lowry is pure energy/hustle and that's what we need to establish in our games next year from the get go. let the refs know that we're here to draw fouls, get to the line and not rely on our perimeter game everytime (becuase there will be those nights).

Aaron on the other hand could be used as a "J.R. Smith/Bobby Jackson/Jamal Crawford" type of deal. still get his buckets, still get his minutes, and prob most important provide speed and agility to a lesser opposing bench or tired opposing starters.

but that's just IMHO. if adelman beleives AB should start, i'm down.

4. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

i personally like things how they are right now :) i love kyles energy and toughness off the bench :) but i wouldnt mind if it got switched around either. aarons scoring would make our bench more potent :) so either way im happy

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Lowry always seemed to be more suited as a starting point to me personally. Don't get me wrong i love AB but he is more offensive minded & would be ideal 2 be a spark off the bench.

6. YouCompleteMe

YouCompleteMe Member

The energy Lowry brings is also a spark off the bench. Both are great players who both deserve to start.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thank god for that.

;)

I think outside the box.....

DD

8. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Could AB be like our Manu Ginobili? An example of its not about starting, its about being productive in your time on the floor and stepping up to close out games using your skillset. Manu is a better playmaker than AB though... so might not be a fair comparison.

9. worzel gummidge

Battier called Martin the best player on the team last season.

10. DaDakota

We shall see, we shall see.

;)

DD

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If AB is our best player next season, this team isn't going anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Let me say something about this lowry brooks thing again. I know i will get some of the same posters talking about the same thing, but here i go. Brooks is th starter not only because he a better scorer, but his offense transfers into the playoffs as well. Lowry is a good point guard who can change tempo and can set guys up. Now the dream of getting paul would say that paul is also a floor general setup guy also which is true, but paul can do it all vs lowry. Any coach would adjust to greatness, not to good. Lowry can draw fouls in the regular season and maybe even some in the post season, but the game comes down to shot making and putting pressure on the defense. Thats why I'm very curious to see how a guy like martin translates in the post season. I know a guy like deng has had very good post season games and he's not a guy who gets to the free throw line, but he is a guy who can just make shots.

Back to the point, brooks fits what adelman does from the guard position. Adelamns gaurds have always been more scorer than just setup guys. The bibby/porter type is the guy more suited than jason william/tim hardaway tpes. Thats not to say adelman cant use a guy like lowry on his team. Lowry is a good bench player on any team, but he's not the guy unless you have alot of play finishers on the squad. Thats why he played alot with landry,chase,wafer and guys like that. Also, he played well feeding brooks who is also a play finisher in terms of shot making. If they can upgrade the spot, it won't be because lowry is starting. To me thats actually going backwards and getting worse.

13. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Well Said!!

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Why are you comparing great players to good players. Yao isn't in the same sentence as none of those guys you mentioned. There will always be a place for greatness. You build around greatness. Greatness will lead you even through the mediocre years. If we have that player, show him to me.

15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Completely agree. Look, I like AB's game. I think he's a great shooting guard. He shot more 3s than anybody in the league. About 7% more than Gallinari, over 10% more than J.R. Smith. Made a lot of them too. (Hair under 40%)

Problem is, he plays PG. "But, but he had over 5 assists/game last year! Hater." Yes, and he also made nearly 3 turnovers to go with those 5+ assists. Those are numbers you see for a Tyreke Evans or a Gil Arenas: guys who aren't really point guards, but we put them there because of their height and ball handling. I like Simmons's label of "Zero-Guard" for what they do, and I think AB is an very good Zero-guard. But he's not someone the offense should revolve around. He doesn't rebound well, he doesn't make near the steals you'd think for someone with his speed, and he doesn't defend especially well. He doesn't make great decisions with the ball. And yes, he's only had 3 years in the league, but his decision making hasn't really improved. (his A/TO is about the same each of those years) When his 3 barrage is hitting, he---and the Rockets---look unbeatable. Problem is, how often did that happen last year?

Let's look at Lowry. First, you can make the argument that the superior rate stats for Lowry are an artifact of his lower minutes. IOW, if Lowry got more minutes, his rate would come back to Earth and his total game production wouldn't be better than Brooks. That's a good argument---I think it's similar to what happened to Ariza---and I don't know how we could answer it other than giving him the minutes and seeing if he sinks or swims.

Still... Lowry has a much better steal rate/48 (1.71 to 1.13), assist rate/48 (8.9 to 7.1), A/TO ratio (2.63 to 1.87), and rebounding rate/48 (7.2 to 3.5) than AB. On the flip side, Lowry fouls. A lot. (5 per 48 minutes, much more than AB) Oddly, their 2-pt shooting percentage is not that much different (45.4 vs 44.8), it's just that AB is good at 3s and takes so many of them, it makes the overall FG% much more in AB's favor. (Chris Paul, FWIW, is handily above both of them.) Overall though, I prefer Lowry to AB as a PG and think the Rockets would be more efficient with their possessions if Lowry received more minutes. Not saying they need to get rid of AB, just that the difference between the two players may be less than many of you seem to think.

Reading leebigez's comments, I'd agree with this take:
    But I'd add, that a healthy Martin and Yao, with Ariza/Budinger and Scola, are sufficient play finishers---I don't think you need another one at the 1 too.

Really, it comes back to durvasa's comment at the top: if AB is your best player (implying Yao/Martin get injured, Ariza stinks it up, Scola doesn't improve) you aren't winning anything this year.

3 people like this.
  16. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

That's what I like to here...

17. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

That's what I like to here...

DD

18. worzel gummidge

Porter's years under Adelman in red. Adelman coach 35 games of the 88-89 season:

[​IMG]

19. DaDakota

Hear.

:)

DD

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It would be great if you understood the context of my posts before replying to them. I was responding to: