1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htown_kid1, Jul 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fair enough.....the Rockets rule.......

I have my favorites too......and would love to see them start....Chase, I am looking at you.....

But, either way.....I am gonna cheer for the Red nation.

DD

2. redao

redao Member

I don't know how a defensive sieve trying to act like a superstar would contribute anything. Why not just hate the midget with a straight face? He is not a sacred cow either.

3. jason3333

jason3333 Member

hell they compliment each other. why don't we find a way to make them one person. kind of like face off but more than just the face. great movie, good post

4. DaDakota

That is CP3....

DD

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

the fact that you thought face off was a great movie is disturbing let alone....

6. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

And Visa Versa. People don't assume because a lot of us like Aaron with the first unit means we don't like Kyle. I love Kyle. I just like him fitting in better with the second unit because of his inability to spread the floor .

7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

1. Aaron Brooks is a defensive sieve. That is not hating, that is just the truth.

2. Aaron Brooks was critical to the success that the Rockets had last year, especially late in the season. There is no way the Rockets finish above .500 last year without a regular dose of heroics from Aaron Brooks. I tip my hat to the man. He was fantastic on the offensive end of the court. But any team that is dependent on late game heroics by Aaron Brooks is probably in a bit of trouble, as the Rockets clearly were at the end of last season. I like Aaron Brooks, but if the Rockets want to upgrade at PG in order to help them step up to the next level as a team next season, then they already have the player on the Rockets who can fill that role. And his name is Kyle Lowry.

3. Yao Ming appears to be the only sacred cow (untouchable player) on this team. Everyone else is trade bait for whatever players can make the team better. In fact, the Rockets already did trade for a point guard a couple of years ago when the got Lowry. And they gave away their starting PG at the time, Rafer Alston, in order to get him. It was a tremendous risk by Daryl Morey, and a huge investment of leadership capital. And now the Rockets have signed Lowry to a 4-year $24 million contract. With all that the Rockets have invested in Kyle Lowry, Aaron Brooks is probably not as irreplaceable as some people around here seem to think. That is not "hating". It is just a recitation of the facts.

1 person likes this.
  8. thekad

thekad Member

Aaron Brooks is not a defensive sieve. That is the truth. Derek Fisher, for example, is a defensive sieve. Aaron Brooks is just average.

I don't think most here believe Aaron Brooks is irreplaceable. It's more that he isn't replaceable by anyone that we currently have or anyone in free agency.

BTW, can you explain how Lowry is a PG and Brooks is a SG when their assist rates are nearly identical even though Brooks played with lesser offensive talent for the majority of the year?

9. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

There is no way AB gets benched this year unless he just totally stinks it up. It would be stupid to kill his trade value like that for a marginal at best improvement. And honestly, I believe it's common knowledge around the league that KL wants to be a starter and is starter quality. You aren't going to effect his value by bringing him off the bench.

Maintaining the status quo is the way to go. RA can make subs as needed after the tip off.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I prefer AB0 over Lowry ONLY if Yao returns since Yao cannot afford to have people clogging up the paint while he is there. Lowry has no range to speak of so would be a really bad match for Yao. If Yao goes down, I would prefer that Lowry start as he manages the offense much better and have AB0 would benefit much more coming off the bench as our spark plug, especially against the crappy benches most teams have. The biggest problems with AB0 are his poor court vision and porous defense. He can penetrate any D and blow by guards, but he makes them look the same on the other end.

11. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Personally, I think Lowry's true value is the contrast that he provides to Aaron Brooks. He pushes the pace so hard and so often that it usually takes the opposing team by surprise, even if they're ready for it. AB pushes the pace too, but not as often or as hard as Lowry does. His bowling ball attitude is a complete 180 from AB which makes him the absolutely perfect complement.

I don't think Lowry should start over AB, but if we were able to trade Brooks for a star 3, I wouldn't worry much about the starting PG position with Lowry manning it (though I would fret about whatever back-up we might get).

12. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

The only way this team is upgraded by changing the starting pg is if brooks is in a trade for granger or cp3. Why in the hell would you put kyle lowry with yao, scola, and martin??? That makes no sense what so ever. Ya lets keep arguably our best 3 pt shooter off the floor when we r posting up scola, Martin is collapsing a defense when driving, and when teams are double teaming Yao. I will agree all day that Lowry is a better distributor, but just bc he can set up teamates doesnt mean he should b in the starting lineup with the main scorers. 2 reasons on that: 1.) Most of our other starters score by themselves. Yao and scola on the block, and martin with the ball in his hands. They dont need a creator in Kyle lowry to do the work for them. 2.) All of our bench need to play off of someone like lowry. Did u see Jordan hill this summer league?? not very impressive. But when he plays with Kyle he looks legit.

Our starting lineup has a heck of a scoring punch, but it's not how much you score, but how you score. And with the rest of our starting lineup, it is a no brainer to have brooks in there to knock down open 3's.

Idk why you think he's this huge defensive liability either. When we face the lakers in the playoffs, you cant seriously tell me you would have lowry going against fisher rather than brooks... Whatever defensive liabilities Brooks has, he makes a lot worse of a trade off on the other end when they have to guard his speed. Fisher is bigger but do you think for one second he has the advantage over brooks in their match up. How often did u see aaron get posted up last year??? really not that much, considering its supposed to be his biggest difficiency. His speed outweighs his lack of size...If you dont agree you can ask our coach. There is no way we change starting point guards after giving brooks the last 1 1/2 years, unless Brooks is traded.

13. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

great point.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Lowry could shoot like Brooks, he'd be an all-star. And we might not even need to talk about the Chris Paul possibility.

He does everything better than Brooks except shooting. And that's a shame because we REALLY need shooting at th PG spot with Yao in the middle.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Would JT start over Martin if he had his offense? Would battier lock up the SF spot of he had offensive moves? Would Bud start at SF if he had battier or ariza's defense?

The answer is yeah, same for lowry....but thingsa dont just magically happen like that, so i'm not sure it's worth discussing. At this point Lowory is what he is and it's very unlikely he'll develop a jumper as solid as Brooks'.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

The difference between AB and Lowry attacking the basket is that Lowry is physical and not afraid to draw contact and get foul calls. Aaron Brooks, on the other hand, prefer no contact at all...that is a HUGE different. AB prefer to do a clean layup.

17. AggieRocketsFan

Tony Parker > Andre Miller

Aaron Brooks > Kyle Lowry

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just looked into this thread again, and some others posted basically the same thing here on page 3. I exaggerated for effect, like DaDakota so loves to do. Yes, Brooks plays defense, but he is lousy at it. He has his moments from time to time, but they are relatively rare, given the minutes he plays. I would love for some stat guru to prove me wrong, that what I've seen with my own eyes was an hallucination, but there you are. AB is simply a mediore defender, in my opinion. I love the other things he does, however.

19. DaDakota

True, and that is why when fouls are not being called in the playoffs or late in games Lowry is ineffective.

AB could get better at it, and I suspect having Yao back there will help as well.

DD

20. AggieRocketsFan

Good luck attacking the basket with Yao Ming standing in your way. The real difference between Lowry and AB is that Brooks can shoot and is able to stretch the defense, giving Yao and everyone else on the floor space to operate. Brooks is obviously a better fit in the starting lineup. Not to mention that Yao can't even keep up with Lowry's run & gun attack.