1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htown_kid1, Jul 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not an Oiler or Texan...come on....this is "H" town...get with the program.

DD

2. redao

redao Member

It is nothing to be surprised. AB was predicted being out of the league after year 2 anyway.

The bigger surprise would be: when AB's haters eat their long overdue crow?

3. DaDakota

Yeah, that is not going to happen......

People always pine for the pesky little off the bench player who plays as hard as he can for 20 minutes, and gives the team a lift.

It is the same reason I like Chase !

DD

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I have no doubt he deserves to be a starter in the league and only someone like Aaron Brooks has kept him on the bench. When he comes in, he lights up the opponent's back up point guard. On a team without two excellent post players (Cleveland. Do they have 1?), he is a starter no doubt, but on our team the shooting is a major issue. If he comes into camp and somehow learned to shoot over the summer, the Rockets will have a hard time keeping him on the bench.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Actually, they traded away Rafer to get Lowry. The guy that Morey was after since entering the league.

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

Or Vince Young

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

yep. If Lowry wasn't in this teams long term plans as an eventual starter then they would have let him walk for the money they signed him for.

8. DaDakota

Incorrect.

They kept him as an asset, he can just as easily be traded as anyone else on the roster.

Don't ASSUME anything....

;)

DD

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Just because some people believe the Rockets would be better with Lowry starting at PG does not mean that these people hate Aaron Brooks. Aaron Brooks has been an excellent player for the Rockets and he has earned his right to be a fan favorite. If Kyle Lowry does win the starting PG role, I would expect to see Aaron Brooks playing major minutes and scoring lots of points off of the bench, similar to what Carl Landry used to do. Even if Kyle Lowry does win the starting PG job, Aaron Brooks will continue to be a hugely important part of this team.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Aaron loses his starting job I don't expect him to WANT to be on this team for very long. RA will tell Morey that AB will no longer be a starter and Morey will cash that chip before the season starts.

11. SamuelSoo

SamuelSoo Member

To be honest, when rocket replaced Alston with Lowry in season 2008~2009, I was shocked. I doubted Lowry's ability wether beyond or even equal to Alston or not. I thought Morey committed a big mistake again (IMO, Gay trade for Battier is a mistake)
    But after I saw Lowry's match, 'oh guy, you are right', I said.
    Today Lowry becomes one of the important rotations , his defence his assistance even his rebound has an impact for rocket. Gradually, I love the guy. Thanks god, I can see him next season wearing rocket's suite.

What about you?

12. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry is my favorite player, but I'm not so set on my position of whether he should start or not. This next season may be more valuable for him to start over Brooks than the last one. Since Yao will likely be starting and not playing too many minutes, a PG who can get Yao the ball and make use of the time Yao can play would be the best for the team. I think Lowry would be the better PG to feed Yao. Lowry has been a really effective spark off the bench. Last season, Rockets had a way of getting a 10 point deficit in the first quarter that we wouldn't recover from until Lowry and Landry were put in. Him starting at a point guard may allow the Rockets to not get that deficit but maybe not.
    Lowry wants to start more than anything. I feel bad for him when they kept asking him about wanting to start at the resigning press conference. He could easily start on a lot of other teams.

1 person likes this.
  13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I loved Lowry at Villanova. I thought he was the best NBA prospect on that team, clearly better than Randy Foye. I was right, and it feels good occasionally.

14. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

Do you really think that AB tried to be a superstar last year?? Yes the dude averaged like 19ppg last year, but that was out of necessaty. The first few months of the season the coaches wanted Ariza to be the guy. When we found out that wasnt working, AB started to chip in, and turns out he is really good. And his ppg starting climbing fast. Then when we got martin, he started to defer to the legitimate scoring all-star, and his ppg dropped.

Just bc AB scored close to 20 ppg as a point guard doesnt mean he has a big head. There was just no one else that could carry the load and create like he could. He quickly had to become our guy. To think he wouldnt be satisfied getting 12-14 good fga per game compared to the 16-17 ok looks per game last year is just ridiculous. Any shooter would take a less number of shots with a higher perventage. He will be satisfied being the 3rd-4th option on this team and will not be stupid about his shots. I wouldnt be surprised to see him being our closer this year either.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Its not really about him being a 'starter' as much as it is about how many minutes he plays and when. AB could be the 'starting' PG, but he could also end up being the backup SG behind Martin if JT doesn't fill that role.

AB is a shooter/scorer, not a set up PG. So he could start the game bringing the ball up to get the offense set and waiting to shoot on kickouts from Yao and from ball movement. When Lowry comes in AB goes out then comes back in for Martin at SG. At SG, he looks for his shot more while playing with the 2nd unit. He can be the shooter/scorer with that lineup.

Lowry would be the set up PG with that group and some of the starters. At the end of the games Adelman goes with whomever is playing better that night and the situation. We all know Lowry is the better defender. So I can see these two working very well together.

16. redao

redao Member

read your own earlier post and tell me you are not a hater.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Not only did I read it, but I wrote it. I am not a hater. Quite the contrary.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Aaron Brooks. However, he is a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Kyle Lowry is the better choice to start at PG for this particular Rockets team. I do not want Brooks to be traded. And if Kyle Lowry wins the start PG spot, I expect Aaron Brooks to continue to be a major contributor to the success of this team coming off of the bench, much like Carl Landry was before he was traded (around 20 points a game).

18. DaDakota

So, if Rick Adelman decides to continue to start Aaron Brooks, I guess he and the Rockets organization just don't agree with you.

DD

19. thekad

thekad Member

If Brooks is a shooting guard, then what is Lowry? They share nearly identical assist stats - yes, adjusted for playing time - except Brooks played with lesser offensive players for most of the year.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Guess so.

And if that happens, I will root for the Rockets with Aaron Brooks starting at the point with complete enthusiasm. Unlike some others around here, who I suspect would pout if Kyle Lowry was installed into the starting PG spot.

1 person likes this.