1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry vs. Goran Dragic (with stats)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T for 3, Mar 27, 2012.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i havent been on in a while and this is just ridiculous... to think dragic is better than lowry is absurd... just like falling into the jeremy lin hype you guys are knee-jerking... he has started 12 games, and yes he is playing great and i really like the guy, but its been 12 games... lets rewind to the beginning of the season to lowrys first 12 games... the dude almost averaged a triple double and was being considered a top 5 PG by some... lowry is the better defender... there is more to defense than steals, which lowry is better at... its about positioning and help defense, which is the style of defense we play... theres also alot more to say about lowrys heart and leadership... they bouth posess toughness tho...

2. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

FG% as starters : 51% DRAGIC 41.8% LOWRY

i like both players, and to have em both is a blessing, but if we want to upgrade at another position i think lowry is the one who should be dealt, as Dragic is imo could be the one with the most upside ... i really hope we will resign him this summer

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

All I know is that we would have probably beat Dallas x2 and LAC in this recent stretch if we had Lowry!

4. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

as much as I love goran dragics starting time and production, im with kyle lowry

5. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

cant edit my post sorry
    meant
    "as Dragic could be the one with the most upside "

6. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

These are great facts. Would have been even better if you ended your post with "/thread"

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Someone needs to explain this to me, because you're not the first.

Dragic is one month younger. And Lowry's really only played for one year longer, given that he was pretty much sidelinded by injury his entire rookie season. And Lowry actually has improved his game every season.

So why is Dragic's upside so much better?

8. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

he never had the opportunity to play much until now, and the more you play the better you get, imo

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

..............huh?

He's been a backup PG who has gotten decent minutes throughout his entire career. If anything, he's probably learned more, as he was sitting and learning from the best PG of the last 5 years in Phoenix, while Lowry sat behind inferior players in both Conley and Brooks.

Dragic has had decent minutes throughout his career. It's not like he's been sitting on the bench.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great PG and is a worthy starter ( unlike a certain spamming poster who never shuts up about how Lowry is just a backup.) I don't think he's better than a guy who basically everyone around the NBA acknowledges as a top 10 PG at this point. And if I had to guess, I think we'll keep Lowry, and Dragic will be a Raptor next year.

10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Dragic looks good lately. The only thing bothers me is that he's never been consistently good throughout his career, and suddenly he's performing on similar level of Lowry right before hitting the free agency market.

Lowry has been CONSISTENTLY good and improving over the years and in both backup/starting role. It's much safer to say he'll be better next year and the year after.

I don't think anyone can say the same thing about Dragic. Suns was disappointed about his inconsistency and he's not been great in the backup role here either. Too hard to predict his future based on his up and down career in the last 4 years.

11. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

15mins a game until now ... tough to get in rythm when you play 3 or 4 mins a quarter ... but i'm not saying dragic he's the better player or has the more upside, i'm just givin my opinion, and quite frankly i've been wrong an awful number of times in my short life :grin:

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

That is very true. But we would have undoubtedly lost against Dallas twice and the Clippers if we had Lowry and didn't have Dragic.

This board is overwhelmingly in support of Dragic as our best player for whatever that is worth.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=217384&page=4

13. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

I'll take either one, honestly. So, since Lowry is the only one I can get something nice back for, and there is no way we can convince dragic to be backup next year, I say trade Lowry in offseason. Only thing is that we desperately need a backup Pg with either of these guys. Because this team just doesn't run well when one of them is out.

Dragic is avg almost 10 assists a game without Lowry and Martin playing alongside him. I think he is a better playmaker than Lowry. But, I've also noticed that with Martin out, Lee is not good enough to be your starting SG. Only if the rest of your team is stacked with stars, but we need that spot to be our scorer.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we can't get a stud big man for Lowry, then I'm in favor of keeping both as well. Goran is the ideal combo guard. He can play on the ball. He can play off the ball. He can create. He can spot up and shoot. He can finish. And he can defend his a.. off. A Lowry/Goran backcourt reminds me a lot of Isaiah/Joe backcourt for the old Pistons teams. Goran is a mix of Nash, Dumars, Manu. He's a very, very good player.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

For the few who have said that Dragic would be doing better in the Eastern Conference (saw one or two posts in this thread about it) I just want to point this out to you....

the Eastern's 7th has a better record than the Western's 7th. That says a lot. The East is not as "weak" as everyone makes them out to be. So if you're facing a playoff team in the East (by respective position in conference) you're more than likely playing a better team.

Crazy, right?

16. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Since coming into the league, Dragic has been extremely good and consistent in games where he's played at least 30 minutes. Clearly it's a small sample size - just 19 games (though it doesn't include some starts where he played well but did not exceed 30 minutes) - but it does span his whole career, so I feel it's indicative of something beyond just this last month's surge. In fact, these career numbers are overall better than his recent production.

15.8 ppg | 4.7 rpg | 10.1 apg (2.7 topg) | 1.6 spg

50.3% FG | 45.1% 3PT | 76.9% FT

For comparison's sake, here are Lowry's career numbers when playing at least 30 minutes (118 games).

15.6 ppg | 4.6 rpg | 6.7 apg (2.5 topg) | 1.7 spg

46.8% FG | 38.2% 3PT | 77.0% FT

Obviously they are amazingly similar in most categories, but in areas where there's a significant difference, they tip in Dragic's favor.

Now I'm not going to sit here and tell you that Dragic is clearly better than Lowry, nor will I tell you that Lowry is clearly better than Dragic. I'm just suggesting that there is a debate to be had.

Personally, I do happen to like Dragic's game more and think that his ceiling is higher because of his athleticism, size, and unique style of play, but I am not blindly appointing him as our new savior at PG just because he's the flavor of the month. I've thought of him as a special player for quite some time, and his play lately has simply been an affirmation of that opinion.

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

That is an excellent point. The only counter point I can offer is: since Dragic's sample size is so small, do we know what the norm is for him?

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Goran finishes ALOT better.
    Goran assists better.
    Goran handles the ball better (you've seen his behind the back dribbles fastbreaks).
    Goran shoots the mid range much, much better.
    He's as clutch as Lowry when it comes to late game 3's.
    He's more athletic.
    Goran's FG% is alot higher.

Lowry steals better.
    Lowry takes charges better.
    Lowry rebounds better.
    Lowry shoots FTs better.
    Lowry shoots the 3 better overall.

I don't know about you guys, but Goran seems like the better overall player.

19. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Ummm, let's revisit this logic.

Let's assume that Lowry and Dragic are both comparable.

That means, when Lowry sits, Dragic is holding the fort down.

With Lowry gone, we had Johnny Flynn, Earl Boykins, and Courtney "Braids" Fortson.

So w/l isn't a true indicator.

20. Possum

Possum Member

this explains alot!