1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry vs. Goran Dragic (with stats)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T for 3, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I like both. I can now see why McHale likes to have both on the floor at the same time during some games. What was Phoenix thinking when they gave us Dragic and a first round pick for Brooks?

2. archinkent

archinkent Member

I don't really agree with the TS, but bringing up the w/l record with Lowry and Dragic is just stupid. When Lowry was healthy the team was healthy too, so obviously that team will do better than this current team.

3. lr22

lr22 Member

His production as a starter was also awesome last year wasn't that?

4. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Kevin Martin has sucked all year.. so he is a moot point

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

But somehow he is the top scorer for the Rockets :rolleyes:

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Way to defend him.. Basketball is not just scoring.... but you are right it is a testament to the offensive ineptitude of the rest which showed tonight.

Scola played great though.

7. SleepingGiants

Avg considerably less than he usually does.

The real question is who starts when MARTIN is healthy.. Lee stole it with his 2 way playing.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he stole it with his 4th quarter performances except against the Mavs perhaps....
    Martin if he was able to score bunches in the last quarter he would still play even at the expense of giving up points defensively

9. SleepingGiants

I would agree, depending on the opposing SG.. but this is just not the case.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lowry has the heart. I trust him to do everything to win. Dragic is great and needs to be a starter but if I chose between the two I take Lowry err day.

11. tjpatel2

tjpatel2 Member

I do think Dragic is the better defensive player just because of his ball-hawking coupled with his length and height. I believe earlier in the year when both of them were healthy and they were playing in a 2-guard lineup, McHale even elected to have Dragic guard Tony Parker in the 4th quarter. But that defensive pressure also puts him out of position a lot of times. Remember when Chris Paul hit him with an in-and-out dribble in the 4th quarter and got right past Dragic for a layup? I feel like Lowry is always in the right spots, while Dragic relies more on athleticism.

With that said, although it seems like Lowry has lost a step on defense this year, who knows if that might be do to his illness, fatigue, or defensive scheme? Since he's been a defensive beast all his career, i tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe McHale wanted Lowry to funnel his man into the shot-blocking Dalembert because that is more effective defense overall. That's what Shane Battier use to do when we had Yao Ming in the paint.

Also, i think Lowry has more value in terms of leadership and rapport with the other players. Although Dragic seems passionate about basketball, English is his second language and im sure there are communication barriers sometimes. People forget Lowry was regarded as a bubble all-star this year. There are so many intricacies in Lowry's game that cannot be quantified, such as setting a screen for the shooter after he passes it to him. So what if Dragic is putting up nearly identical stats in a small sample size. Lowry's impact goes beyond that in my opinion.

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

No... we had tons of tough games in the first half of the season. At the absolute best, the SOS was not enough in favor of Dragic to more than make up for the winning % discrepancy.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lowry is the best player on this team. If he can get back to the level of play before the injury, he needs to start. It's not just about stats, he brings an energy and fire to the game we have been lacking. We are really missing him right now.

However, that's a big IF.. hopefully this isn't an Aaron Brooks type deal.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

With Lowry as starter: 22-17
    Without Lowry: 5-7

I'd take a healthy Lowry over Dragic at this point.

15. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Is it possible to play Lowry at Pg and Dragic at Sg if we keep both for some reason? That would most likely require not signing back Lee and trading K-mart.

16. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

you said if dragic could play at this level the whole season, you'd be impressed. shouldn't the same go for lowry if you wanna claim him an all star? but he can't even stay healthy for the whole season. sorry until lowry can play like he did early this season for a whole season, i'm not convinced it's beyond debate that he's better than dragic.

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

The most important stat is ass size. Lowry wins hands down.

18. JCole

JCole Member

u cant compare like this omg...
    Dragic is practical "only" Play-g, he has no rest and when he goes to the banch some D-league player go for some mins....
    U just cant compre like this so stop it PLS:mad:

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Draginsanity.

'nuff said.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Hope you dudes are all ready for Goran's inevitable departure. I'd hate for any of you to get your hopes up and then get crushed like you did with Brooks.