1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry turning things around (UPDATE: Added Lowry's highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

When Rafer went to the basket, he either got blocked or missed a tear-drop shot. When Lowry goes to the basket, good things happens.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could see that, but there was a game where Bullard said in pre-game that he spoke with Lowry and he said he felt he was in the best shape of his life -- felt great. He still went out and produced a clunker. I remember because it took the wind out of my sails hoping that he was just not physically right.

Small sample sizes of course, but the numbers are pretty drastic.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I was just about to post how much bettter he has played the last 3 games. He's playing his way into shape and his body language has gotten better also. He's always been a good passer,but you cant to the ball like he was earlier and expect to win when thats supposedly your strong suit. Hope he keeps it up with the next stretch of games the rockets have.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Don't see much resemblance. Alston was a chucker from outside and never looked to create contact.

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

[

Ouch...and I did not give it one star, I was kidding.....no need to incite the haters.

DD[/QUOTE]

DD, you are the hater. :grin:

Great to see Lowry starting to adjust well to HIS starting position.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lowry can finish around the basket and actually has a decent TS% because he gets to the line. I don't see the resemblance other than they both suck at outside shots.

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Friendly ownage in a recap thread...nice!

I like Kyle off the bench, but as long as he is producing, I'll take anything he can contribute to the team.

I think he needs to lose some weight to be consistently effective.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch lays the wood better than anyone.

I wish you would post more!

:grin:

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to incite hate and agitate, the GARM doesn't need that.

I just wonder what people would say if LOWRY started the season 0-5 and not Brooks.

Bottom line: Brooks 0-5. Lowry 4-5.

It'll still take Lowry playing this kind of ball every game for him to overtake Brooks. At most Lowry can get a good time share. Or Brooks would have to stink it up badly when he gets back. I don't see that happening. And when you bring back Yao, having outside shooting with him is beneficial.

10. Roxs-Redemption

Kyle Lowry = Rockets MIP 2010-2011

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Hey Clutch you were right. Lowry looks like he's turned it around. He still makes a bone headed play from time to time. But overall he is a serviceable starting pg in this league with those numbers. He also led us with a defensive toughness that was missing in our first meeting against the warriors.

Also an added bonus is that putting Lowry and Hayes in the line up shores up or defensive deficiencies quite a bit.

Now if Lowry continues his improvement or at least stays relatively consistent and injury free I think the Rockets have found the potential 6th man of the year. Yes I said 6th man but I'm not talking about Lowry. I think Brooks would be great coming off the bench. Last year we needed Brooks to start because we needed his offense big time. We don't need as much this year. Especially with the return of Yao. Brooks could be that great spark off the bench that this team could really use.

Of course one game or even a few games don't make a season but I saw some great things tonight that make me optimistic about our future. Hayes OMG 8-8 from the line. 12-12 in a row. Yeah that's got to be a bit of a fluke but if the kid can hit 65-70% from the line. He now becomes a much more viable alternative on the floor. He brings toughness and is currently our best center on the team. Yeah I said it. We have a backup for Yao when he comes back.

Bud also impressed and played his best defensive game of the year. he still is lacking in that area but he was hustling to cover his man, deflecting passes, rebounding and looking more like a basketball player and less like a potential one. His shot is still sluggish but I think that might be because he is trying so hard to be a better defensive player. I am confident his shot will come around in time. Lee is a solid defender and is playing a little more under control on the offensive end. Scola is Scola, just solid.

Yeah I know it is one game and many will say just another knee jerk reaction against an undermanned Warriors team. And there is a bit of truth to that. But I still saw a lot of bone headed plays down the stretch. Stupid passes by everyone. Fast jumpers late in the game when the clock is our friend. We still have a ways to go on executing the coaches complete game plan. But I have reason to believe we can do it. WHen Yao and Brooks come back there roles will be more defined. The both will need time to gel with the team. But it won't be as bad as the start of the season because players are learning their roles better.

Hayes becomes the best backup for Yao on most nights. Brooks becomes our super 6th man. Lowry becomes even more of a pass first pg with an emphasis on defense. Bud and Bat become interchangeable depending on whether we need more defense or offense. Martin is a scorer who can be substituted by a lock down defender in Lee when needed. Miller is the old vet who comes in whenever you need him and doesn't complain. Of course I am putting in a lot of wishful thinking in there. But the play of this team tonight and in particular Lowry and Hayes makes me very optimistic.

P.S. Last year I thought if that team we had just added a healthy Yao we could have competed for a championship. ANd tonight we mostly stuck with that team we had last year and looked pretty damn goo. Who would have thunk with all the additions our best team this year is pretty much the team we finished with last year.

P.S.S. Isn't it amazing what a coach can do when he is actually given a chance to practice with the team and coach.

#31 Old Man Rock, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No Hill or Patterson in the plans?

13. delishman

delishman Member

"HE JUST SUCKED THE GRAVITY RIGHT OUT OF THE BUILDING!"

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i thought he looked liked he was in great shape coming in as well....i think it had to be an injury issue. He was probably favoring something and holding back. He wasnt bad just on back to backs or late in games, but pretty much all game. That told me it was not a conditioning issue, since he shouldn't have problems so early in a game. Glad to see he's getting back to normal.

15. albuster

albuster Member

This was a game which showed what Lowry can do if he plays within his limitations and uses his pg skills. He really did a great job of running the offense and distributing the ball. His defense, especially, was very good. I really hope he does this consistently from now on. Good things will happen if he does.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Daaaaaaaaaamnnn...

Just wanted to check into this wonderful thread.

17. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Currently just sparingly. When Yao is out Hill will find more time for sure. I really like Patterson. I think in the long run he will be a solid contributor to this team. I hope he learns and grows on the vipers. We could use more athleticism on this team and he definitely brings more. he has to play smarter and more consistent. Of course Hill and Patterson don't answer to me and Hill has already improved much much more than I thought he would. Hill also is needed against soldi bigs more so than Hayes.

That being said one of the things that helped us close out the game tonight was keeping the rotation tighter. We really could use a 2 or 3 for 1 trade.

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Woo Hoo!!! 4-10! Wait...

We still have to win 6 in a row to reach .500... :(

19. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Unless we get to the WCF with Brooks playing a big role, AB is gone. I'll keep hope alive, but I'm not holding my breath for the WCF.

20. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Nice.

Lowry has been getting back to his regular self. Hopefully he can keep it up and continue being a nice floor general getting everyone involved.