1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry Positives/Negatives

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

I am sorry but Rafer was not a good shoot considering the amount of open looks he got. Consistency is what makes a shooter above average or great, not the fact that he gets hot once every 10 games.

2. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

are you kidding me? aaron brooks is not ready for this pressure......you see brooks in the nets game? he was throwing up impossible acrobatic layup all day......rocket season is over..........yao ming will be lucky to average 20 ppg the rest of the way......get ready for a real ugly game in dallas.

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

He was the starter in Memphis and had Conley pretty much relegated to spot minutes but they put Conley in as a starter a few weeks ago to showcase him for a possible trade - at least that was the common perception of the change. I imagine they found that teams were higher on Lowry than Conley because normally you don't bench a guy your trying to get rid of two weeks before the trade deadline.

4. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I remember that. I've always been intrigued by lowry. I'm not sure how I feel about him being our starter. With Tmac out, Brooks should be able to fit in nicely in the starting lineup, so I'm not concerned.

Everyone here is overating Rafer. Fans are frustrated by this trade, because he had an extremely nice game yesterday. You have to think though, would you still think this is a bad trade if Rafer didn't have 11 assists versus New Jersey? It's all a matter of perception.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He wears number 1

[​IMG]

sucks for TMAC

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

LMAO!

7. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

Lowry is more of a pass-first PG so I do want him to start. Lowry can ignite fast breaks just as well as Rafer Alston can too.

I'm telling you guys, he's either the next Jason Kidd or the next Rajon Rondo. This team needs one of them like those guys on this team.

He's a pass-first PG who is great at playing defense, he may not have a jump shooter but not many PGs are good at it. Really, it's not hard to work on it. I'm sure Lowry will work on it. His defense is what I'm looking forward to seeing and his able to finish and drive.

It's like we finally have the Rafer Alston who plays with NBA fundamentals.

8. Asian Sensation

I have a 12 inch penis. AROUND.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Compare him to Rondo.

Bad Shooter? Check

Good Defender? Check

Good Penetrator? Check

6'1? Check

Surrounded by good players instead of scrubs? Check

10. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Although I never like Alston's game, I don't understand exactly why we would want Lowry.

The classic formula for success is inside / out. With Yao, we have a decent inside threat. Surround him with good shooters and you should have a reasonable offense. Teams won't need to play Lowry on the outside (they sort of had to play Airballston) so his man can double Yao. They won't need to close out on Lowry because he's not a good outside shooter. That seems to wreck your offense right there.

A PG with a good shot is what the Rockets needed. Too bad we can't seem to find one.

11. therox3

therox3 Member

we've got a guy who can't get on the floor for the grizzles. I don't understand how we can help the magic fill a huge need and get so little in return.

12. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Kyle Lowry in-depth analysis...

Ok, so, from what I have gathered on this forum, Kyle Lowry is definitely coming here.

Apparently, he is a great defender, but a crappy statistic from the field. Hmm, who else does this mimic?

Rajon Rondo.

He's young, and a little rough around the edges, but more or less NBA-ready.

Rajon Rondo.

I think, that given the right push, and FINALLY being in the right environment, such as the Rockets, he might actually be a good PG.

However, he has to compete with Aaron Brooks for the PG position. Lowry is better at defense than Aaron, but Aaron outshines Kyle FAR in the offense division.

The way I see why Morey made this trade is for a few simple reasons.

1. To clear up room at the 1, by moving Alston.
    2. To make our team younger in the long run. Morey must not have seen Rafer as a quality foundation at the 1. Might as well start over at the position.
    3. Make Aaron work for the job. With Rafer as the obviously better PG between he and Aaron, Brooks actually has to work for that starting PG position, rather than just sitting back and letter Rafer do his thing.

Now, the only question is:

Who do you want to start? Rajon Rondo, or Devin Harris?

13. redao

redao Member

Rondo should get most of the PG minutes.
    Brooks comes from the bench and plays in the 4th.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Devin Harris

15. 1RocketMac11

1RocketMac11 Member

Lowry reminds me more of harris imo..not as good, but skillset..

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

610 just said Lowry shoots 47% inside the 3 point line compared to Rafer who shoots 39%.

17. RedRox29

RedRox29 Member

lowry is kinda like jameer nelson minus the 3 point shot. jameer wasnt good at threes before, and just recently developed it. Both have a quick first step and can get to the basket. also have similar bodies.

18. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

I don't know about that, Harris is really skinny and he has a jump shot too. Harris doesn't really have a weakness if he does it's probably the jump shot, but Lowry doesn't have one either and I'm sure People would rather have Harris take a jump shot over Lowry too.

19. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Tony Parker doesn't subscribe to your theory and he's got several rings, while other great 3pt shooting PGs haven't won rings in over a decade.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hollinger's Player profile, written before the season:

[rquoter]
    2007-08 season: A hyperactive ball of energy who was essentially playing his first pro season, Lowry might have been an all-defense selection if anybody watched Grizzlies games. On a team for which a lot of players were going through the motions, his extra effort stood out. Lowry drew 47 offensive fouls, the fourth-most in the league; on a per-minute basis, the only perimeter player to draw more was the Lakers' Derek Fisher.

Lowry's other defensive metrics were outstanding, too -- among point guards he was sixth in blocks per minute, 12th in steals and seventh in defensive rebound rate. Overall, the Grizzlies gave up 5.7 points fewer per 48 minutes with him on the court.

The only reason he didn't play more was his shaky outside shot, combined with a refusal to acknowledge its shakiness. Lowry took nearly two 3-pointers a game but made only 25.7 percent, a major reason his shooting percentage was so low. He was much better on long 2s, making 44.8 percent, but they were a less-utilized part of his arsenal. Lowry also killed himself at the line. He led all point guards in free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt, but converted only 69.8 percent.

Scouting report: Lowry is only 6-1, but has superb speed and quickness combined with incredible toughness; that combo is what makes him so willing to throw his body into the fray, draw charges, rebound and defend effectively.

Lowry is a very hard driver going to the basket, especially to his right, and can use his jets to get past defenders and draw fouls. He has to improve as a passer and decision-maker, however, as his pure point rating was subpar and most of his drives seemed to be for his own offense. Lowry is good at advancing the ball in transition, throwing pinpoint alley-oops from midcourt and sending it ahead when shooters are free.

Lowry can't shoot, as mentioned above, and teams constantly left him open and dared him to fire away.

2008-09 outlook: With Mike Conley and Javaris Crittenton also on hand, Lowry's name has come up frequently in trade rumors. Certainly other teams have interest, as he's already an elite defender and could become a quality offensive weapon if he can straighten out his shot and refine his half-court decision-making a bit.

For now, however, he's probably going to be relegated to 20 minutes a night or so. Fantasy owners should keep an eye on this guy because if he's traded some place where he'll start he's going to be gold in steals. The rest of us can just sit back and watch him and Conley duke it out for the right to be the Grizz's point guard of the future.

[/rquoter]

I don't mind bringing in talented young guards with a shaky jumper. The jump shot is something that can improve over time. He's got uniqiue talents on the defensive end, and as a penetrator. The Rockets have been very high on him, and I'm confident in their player personnel guys ability to recognize good talent.