1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry becoming a star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Treeza, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think his idol is Billups, it would be FANTASTIC if he could mirror his career.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Love Kyle's improvement. Would love to see him and Patrick as career Rockets. He has a rare combination of heart and desire that is hard to come by.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

:confused:

What are you referring to in this thread?

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

It must hurt you so. Every 3 pter from that non-shooter still on just a hot streak. Like a dagger to the heart. It sucks to be wrong. I know.

Well, I don't. Actually.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Every forum needs a concern troll, I guess.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I thought we were past this and you're still pulling this personal ****?

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you didn't take it so personally to begin with, me, and HALF the people in this thread wouldn't have to call you out on it.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

You mean besides rebounding, defense, passing, and decision-making? Yes, if we ignore all that, Lowry is similar to Brooks at his peak.

I must say, I honestly did not expect Lowry's shooting to improve so dramatically in one year. It's weird because I expected improvement from just about every other young player on this team. But I felt Lowry's game was more or less fleshed out. And though he'd be a little complacent too with a big contract, while Brooks would be hungrier to get that payday. But Lowry's shooting ability this year has been nothing short of astonishing. And I'm generally optimistic when it comes to young players.

And gives me hope that perhaps CBud can perhaps take a big leap next season.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dammit!

10. Mr. Clutch

Lowry is only 24. It's not crazy to think that he can still become a decent shooter.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Are you kidding me? Me take it personal? FFS, Kwame of all people had to tell you to tone it down.

12. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am thinking Billups shot making with Rondo's game management/rebounding/defense.

Obvious that would be a superstar and that isn't what I expect. But I do see aspects of each in his game.

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

he is similar to Billups

however he still needs the coolness of Billups

that means, playing with a lot more confidence and less erratic play

but I am so glad seeing Brooks gone, man, the guy can't get it going since the injury and he might never come back as he ones used to play..it's sad

we have a really nice team now

just get us a great center, move Hill and possibly Brad

15. trugoy

trugoy Member

I've said this before, but Kyle Lowry has a chance to be Mookie Blaylock. He will never get the props from casual fans, but he can become the 3rd best player on a championship team.

I see him making 1 or 2 all-star teams in his career if he has a team that wins a lot of games.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

In Lowry's first 3 years with significant playing time, his highest 3pt% was 26%. This year, his 4th, he's shooting 37%. While it's not "crazy" to think he could've improved that much, it certain is incredibly unexpected. And it shows how much he must've practiced over the summer on his shots.

I mean, when was the last time a Rockets developed an outside shot 5 years into his career?

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Martin takes more shots but...

Martin shoots 44% and 39% on 3s.

Lowry shoots 43% and 37% on 3s.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think he improved his shooting a little bit, but mostly it is just confidence.

I was surprised when I heard some of his teammates refer to him as one of their best 3pt shooters, in practice. He just could never do it on the court. On top of that he has always taken a couple of 3s a game through out his career, even though he generally made them at a 27ish% clip. Now I consider Lowry as one of the smarter guys on the team. You would think that a smart guy would know not to take many 3s if they were really so bad at it. I think it all makes sense now. He isn't bad at it, which is why he kept on taking them. It's just that due to confidence he never could make them in games.

I think that is why all of a sudden he is shooting so well this year. If there is one thing a starting spot gives you it is confidence. And I don't think it is a coincidence that after trading Brooks, his game is at a whole other level with no more competition.

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Not a Rocket, but Jason Kidd was mostly a crappy 3pt shooter his first 15 years then shot over 40% his last 3 years. From what I read, that is a bigger anomaly.

When a guy is young, there is more hope for improvement, no matter the experience.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Martin FT shooting 7.4/8.4
    Lowry FT shooting 2.3/3.2

I love both players, and loved Lowry's improvement this season. But until he learns from Martin the art of drawing touch fouls, and how to throw it up whenever he gets breezed upon, Lowry's not in Martin's category in terms of scoring.