1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry and +/-

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I really hope we hang onto Lowry after this season. His attitude and change-of-pace gameplay is integral to this team. Contrary to popular belief, I think he's the most important bench player we have, not Landry.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Who was a good 3pt shooter on that team? Walker,Posey,J.Williams, who? Shaq was still good an dneeded attention, pretty much a double team and wade got to play one on one. He had good shot recognition and could get to a comfortable point on the floor as he do today. I wouldn't say he's a poor shooter even if his 3pt fg% says otherwise and thats my point.

3. choujie

choujie Member

Of course they have good shooters. If you remember, Posey was shooting and making 3s's like crazy that year. Jwill and Walker were also guys who you can't leave them wide open at 3 point line.

Wade got all the calls when he went to the basket, that was the key. But without those 3 pointer shooters, it would have been much tougher for him to get into the lane.

4. leebigez

You cant tell me 1 guy that was a good shooter playing major minutes on that team. Go to basketball-reference.com then get back at me.

5. choujie

choujie Member

Jason Williams 31.8 minutes, 37% 3pt FG% that year,
    James Posey 28.6 minutes, 40% 3pt FG% that year,
    Antonio Walker 28 minutes, 35.8% 3pt Fg% that year.

That's head and shoulder better than Lowry/Butler/Ariza this year in terms of 3pt%.

6. leebigez

And neither of those guys are good shooters and they had a ton of open looks. The only guy taking advantage of that was posey and thats my point. 3pt % has little to do with being a good shooter. Shooting the 3 only says you have the range to do it not whether you can shoot and make it consistently which again was my point. Teams don't or didn't sag off wade because of being scared of those guys shooting, they sagged off to be closer to shaq. When wade would see players giving him extra steps, he would change speeds and pull up just as he does now. Too many posters on this board equate a guys 3pt shooting to being a shooter and thats not the case. The lost art of the midrange and the few players that have it are good shooters. Kobe is a good shooter despite shooting 32% from 3. He don't take a lot of shots from out there because within the offense he can get to his spotas and knock down bucket after bucket. Thats what good shooters do, they have great shot recognition.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Posey, Williams and Walker were all good 3 pointers at that time that opponent teams can't just leave them wide open like they do to Alston.

Nah.I know you are old school type. I'm not saying mid range shooting is not important, but a team's offense can't run well without 3 point threats nowadays. The defenders are bigger, quicker and rotating are faster than the old days, they can cover all area a lot easier if they don't have to worry about people shooting from 3 point line.

Kobe is a great shooter, his 32% is missleading because he took so many last second shots with defense keyed on him.

Do you ever see teams leave Kobe wide open beyound 3 point line ententionally like they do to Rafer? That would be suicide.

8. choujie

choujie Member

Not everybody has to be a good 3 point shooter, but to have great offense, you need 3 point threats nowaday.

Lowry/Butler/Ariza/Landry/Haywood doesn't have one, that line-up wouldn't work too well if being defended correctly.

9. leebigez

That has 0 to do with being a good shooter.Teams are more afraid of a guy breaking people down off the dribble than a guy launching 3's. Teams defend you different when you can get your feet in the paint. People don't leave kobe because he's kobe, not because he's a good 3pt shooter. Rafer isn't a good shooter anywher on the court just as walker and williams weren't good shooters. Teams leave the weakest threat open all the time. Battier shot over 40% and teams would leave him butt naked? Why? Because they know he can't put the ball on the floor and beat a guy off the bounce and they figure they can recover fast enough to challenge his 3.

10. choujie

choujie Member

If you only have people who can get in the paint, the paint will be closed. It's that simple.

People don't leave Kobe on 3 point line not because he's Kobe, it's because Kobe can drain open 3s on you all day long. How could you not understand that? Battier is never left wide open by design, because other teams know he can hit 3s on a consistent base.

Team leave the weakest threat open all the time because they gamble on him not going to make that shot, in other words, not a good shooter.

Walker and Willams were good shooters that year and they were not left open by design. Now if you have Lowry/Butler/Ariza as the back court this year, somebody will be left open by design. Because they are not good 3 point shooters this year.

Somehow I feel we are talking about 2 different things. My key point is: Lowry/Butler/Ariza/Landry/Haywood lineup will not work well offensively, opponents will just pack the middle and let them shoot contest long 2s or semi open 3s. At least one 3 point threat is needed to make more space for them to drive into the lane.

11. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Check the playoffs yourself. How many times did Kobe leave Shane wide open to double Yao? :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

You got it all wrong. Williams and Walker were all streaky that year. The Heat won it because a) Dallas still respected Shaq and doubled him on most occasions. b) D-Wade destroyed Howard/Harris 1 on 1. c) Mourning did extremely well defensively. d) Haslem was playing out of his mind hitting every open shot and running the floor bringing energy to the team, phenomenal D on Dirk.

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

You don't need a bunch of great shooters to win the championship. You need versatile players. That's it I'm done explaining. Have you ever played basketball in real life? Don't tell me you find it more easier to play with a strictly spot-up shooter than a versatile player who can create for himself and others. The Lakers won the championship 'cause they have Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Bynum who are all severe threats on both end while the Rockets last year only got Yao & Brooks who got their shots consistently. The Heat won that championship mainly because of the trio D-Wade/Shaq/Haslem, not because they have three scrubs in the mold of Shane Battier who was a so-called good shooter. :rolleyes:

Say players like Rip Hamilton and Ray Allen, those are good shooters. Shane Battier is not. Kyle Lowry is not a good shooter either.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry re-tweeted some guy who tweeted this thread to him. He's read this thread!

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just trying to get durvasa his due for the work! I'm sure Kyle appreciates the love.

16. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Haha I saw that but didnt see the RT part so I didnt click on the link. That's pretty cool.

17. matthappy

matthappy Member

lowry is very important for us,not just as a backup PG.

he could change the tempo and improve his teammates's performance,send strong message----we play hard-nosed!!! never hold back~