1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry and +/-

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2010.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Brooks. Much like the nfl has changed from a pound the run game and pass league to pass first to setup the run, teams need to put pressure on the other team offensively and play defense. Brooks,butler,and landry will put alot of pressure on other teams defensively. The most effective offensive teams in the league dont have 2 glue guys in the starting lineup. The lakers don't have have 2-3 guys that cant score in their lineup. The nuggets worse offensive starter is martin and affalo and both are better than hayes and battier by far. Butler will make brooks a better player now and next year because of closeouts. You have to stay closer to butler and closeout under control which give brooks more room. When butler is working the post or running the offense, temas will honor his ability to score and not sag or not pay attention to him like the do shane. That makes a hige difference.

2. leebigez

I think it does big time. Last year we saw a small sample of how much better the team would be with a guy that had to be accounted for at pg. When rafer was out at the beginning and even with a hobbled tracy, the team was scoring 100 ppg. rafer comes back and now the defense plays yao,tracy,and artest different. They sag and sink more and they release quicker which doesn't seem like alot, but that split second means alot. That why i say shane hurts the offense more than ariza's poor shooting. Teams at least honor trevor's ability to slash some vs they don't even pay shane any attention to put the ball on the floor and thus they turn and "rob" cuts.

3. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Seriously? Lowry better than Brooks?

Watching the ****ing playoffs.

No one else besides Aaron & Carl stepped up in the 4th quarter after Yao went down.

4. choujie

choujie Member

It's kinda tough.

If Butler is a great 3 point shooter, no qeustion Lowry. He also would make Landry a lot more dangerous.

But Butler can't hit 3 either. Opponents will clog the middle.

I wish Rockets trade for Mike Miller's expiring contract.

5. leebigez

Being a good 3pt shooter doesn't equate to being a good shooter or not. Being a good shooter is having good shot recognition and knowing where and when to get shots. I find most that you post about in terms of brooks and lowry misinformation. I don't know if you've played or at what level. La and Utah aren't big 3pt shooting teams, yt every year they have a high fg % and you don't see teams packing the paint either. Can you explain that and tie it into your theory?

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Jazz with Okur a Center that is able to shoot 3p will always open up the paint, especially when they have a PF that plays the mid range game.

Back to topic, not surprise with the numbers that Lowry brings. He shows it on court every time. But as someone have said, this is mostly against Back-up PGs, and starters that have played some minutes. His inability to shoot will always hamper his chance to be a starting PG. Once he is able to gain some recognition as a shooter, his driving game will be so much more potent. Till then, lets just be happy at having the best backup PG in the game.

7. choujie

choujie Member

What?
    Being a good shooter you have to have the ability to shoot from anywhere from the floor. You can leave Chuch Hayes pretty open outside the paint no matter how he recognize a good shot is, he still can't make it.

Lakers and Utah all have good shooters on that team who you can't really left them wide open. Last year when Lakers won Championship, both Ariza and Odom all made their outside shots. Otherwise they might not have beaten Denver. And they have Kobe who can shoot from anywhere on the floor.

Utah have Okur who shoots 3s to draw opponent's big man out to make room under the basket. They also have Krover when opponents decide to clog the miggle. Dwill can score from both inside/outside.

They all have good 3 point shooters.

For current Rockets, if you have Lowry/Butler/Ariza/Landry/Haywood, there is nobody who can shoot 3 at a respectable clip, clogging the middle will be very easy.

8. blink52y

blink52y Member

I am a little confused. I have always felt that when Lowry was on the floor, we ran a lot better. And at the same time, the way AB creates his shot, he would be a great 2 guard (except for his physical limitations).

I just dont see why RA wont insert Lowry as the starter and either bring AB off the bench or start him along side Lowry at the 2, while sitting Battier.
    I know this idea has been knocked around a few times, but I never really have seen a legit reason! Can any one help me understand?

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Lowry is more of an instant energy guy than Brooks.

10. leebigez

So do you consider wade as a good shooter? What you and other need to realize is being a good shooter has little to do with being a good 3pt shooter. You make it seem that when a guy isn't a 3pt shooter, teams pack the paint. The falsehood of that theory is that if your a good mid range shooter which caron has been in his career, when guys back off, he nails the jimmy. Thats called being a good shooter. Having the ability to recognize a good shot and having the ability to make it a a good clip. Lowry is a good shooter, he's just a reluctant one. So what happens is his confidence in the shot and his ability to make the shot goes down and hurts his fg%. When he wants to shoot and is in his range, he's a pretty good shooter. Posters need to stop equating 3pt shooting with shooting in general.

11. blink52y

blink52y Member

So then... we do not want instant energy from the start of the game?
    I still dont see why they dont at least give it a try

12. choujie

choujie Member

I was away.
    Wade is a great scoerer and finisher around basket, he is also a good 2 point shooter, but not a great shooter. But that's not the point here.

When Wade won Championship, they had good 3 point shooters to finish for them, that opens up the game for Wade to have more room to drive and finish. Teams simple can't just pack the middle even if they had Shaq/Wade.

With Lowry/Arzia/Butle/Landry/Haywood, Butler will not have the chance to shoot uncontested shots consistently. Every shot will be hard earned. Opponents don't have to worry too much about Rockets outside offense. It will not be efficiency.

BTW, Lowry is not a good 3 pointer shooter, otherwise he'd start over AB already.

13. LifeisButaDream

lowry.so why not just send AB/cook/socla.and get martin.socla is a fa anyway.

14. choujie

choujie Member

Why Martin? Rockets need 3 PGs instead of 1. In that case they can start AB/Lowry together. I don't see how AB/Lowry is that much worse than Martin/Lowry, and it saves tons of money + Scola.

15. LifeisButaDream

because martin and butler can play off the ball, get to the line, iso.and all lowry has to do pass.

16. LifeisButaDream

Haywood/Hayes/Andersen
    Dorsey/Landry/
    Butler/Ariza/
    Martin/Battier/tayor
    Lowry/Conroy

17. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol another Adelman is god post thats right lets attribute all of lowrys success to the master mind like substitution patterns of RA lol give me a break. RA worst coach ever at substitution patterns. Unfortunately this isnt football but in a perfect world RA would be an offensive coordinator and he could let a coach with some sense decide who comes in and out because RA always finds a way to make the wrong move. Am i th only one who notices that RA doesnt even play the hot hand.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Lowry get to the line quite often, if you happened to watch games. And in RA's system, passing is way more imporant than ISO.

After that Rockets will only have one quality PG and you think that would work? You must been dreaming, man.

19. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

The scary part is Kyle Lowry is a unrestricted free agent, open to sign anywhere, and I'm sure he will get some competitive offers that the Rockets arent bargining for.

20. LifeisButaDream

Thats why we have conroy.and whats wrong with iso?.AB,landry,socla,yao does it .