1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry and +/-

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 9, 2010.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I think that the second unit has much better chemistry than the first group, and Lowry has a lot to do with that. Both Landry and Budinger appear to be heavily dependent on Lowry for their production, and both have struggled significantly in his absence. In addition, the Brooks-Lowry combination has for the most part being one of the most potent offensive combos for the Rockets because those two together put a lot of pressure on opposing backcourts to try to stop penetration, especially with Brooks' lethal outside shooting.

But then, while I think it is clear that Lowry is a better pure point guard than Brooks as far as setting up teammates goes, I think the poor +/- of the starters has a lot to do with the massive offensive shortcomings of the players around Brooks - Ariza, Hayes and Battier. Brooks and Scola are able to get theirs, but the other three are not potent enough. On the other hand Lowry's boys -- Landry, Budinger and Andersen are all potent offensive weapons with a significant amount of skill.

So while Lowry deserves much credit, I would disagree with the notion that Brooks is in any way culpable for the starting unit's struggles -- if anything, he has carried that unit all season long offensively, sort of how McGrady used to back in the day when he had nobody around him especially with Yao injured.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

AB is scoring like crazy because he has too. He doesn't have a choice out there.

Hayes, Battier and Ariza are not offensive weapons. And IMO, Scola isn't much of one aswell.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nice find Durv,

He is certainly a spark off the bench.

I wonder what his numbers are like against other teams starters.

DD

#23 DaDakota, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I can see the argument for Lowry, but Brooks' quickness is so rare and causes so many problems for opposing defenses.

In Morey I trust to evaluate our talent and needs.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I like the idea of moving Brooks to SG and starting Lowry, especially once Yao comes back next year.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Yes Brooks quickness is awesome, but Lowry's ability to drive and get other people in foul trouble is also amazing. Plus his defense is incredible!

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Sure, Brooks plays quick but Lowry gets the whole team to play quick.

And, the best thing about it is that he does this while playing good defense and rebounding more than you would expect from a PG. Shooting is really the only thing he does poorly and I'm sure that's why he was so undervalued around the league.

8. DaDakota

It is the only reason he is not starting...if he could shoot decently he would be a starter in the league with his bulldog intensity on both ends of the floor.

But he gets the benefit of coming in fresh against the other teams backups or starters when they are tired, and then runs them into the ground.

If he was a starter, they would game plan, pack the paint, zone up, and force him to shoot and it would be like watching Rafer Alston shoot all over again.

DD

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

These are good points. I like the current arrangement that Adelman has. The Rockets need to add more scoring in the starting lineup, and a Haywood-type at center would help too.

I wasn't trying to convince people that Lowry needs to start. He's just been really good in the role the Rockets have given him. He's clearly an extremely valuable member of this team. And for all the credit Landry has gotten as the leading 6th man candidate, the evidence seems overwhelming that Lowry is the true bench sparkplug.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

wow, here you are again comparing him to Rafer. Rafer shut down AB and shot 3-6 while AB shot 3-16. Lowry knows his shooting is not that great so he tries to draw fouls.

If he had Yao it would help TONS. He couldn't be worse than AB at entry passes so you don't miss anything.

The one thing you must acknowledge is that on a team with a legit 3 point threat say at SG, Lowry would be a better option than AB. I love AB but he needs to work on his decision making when he drive the lane. He won't get calls. He will not become an Elite PG.

11. DaDakota

Of course he is....anyone watching the games can see that, he makes it much easier for everyone by forcing the action, but if he had to play with Shane and Trevor, it would not be so good, as his nice passes would lead to bricks from those two wing players.

I know people think I am nuts with my like of Von Wafer, but man, we need another finisher on this team at the wing position desperatly.

Our only true SG is a black hole named Jermaine Taylor, who is just not NBA read.

DD

12. DaDakota

Rafer didn't shut anyone down, Brooks blew by him like he was standing in cement.

What shut Brooks down was interior defense, they clogged the paint and went up to block shots.

Once the long balls are not falling, the middle gets dense, and no one is going to score in there with 3 bigs around the basket.

Rafer....shut him down....lol...do you even watch the games?

SHEESH !

DD

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Again, if brooks had more capable players starting alongside him, i think he would play even better. Instead, he has 3 guys that cant really finish or creat a play and scola is the only decent offensive player in the bunch. We can look and see what he does and i like what lowry brings even if he's not a good shooter, he's effective enough to me, but brooks is someone teams plan against. Brooks and landry are the 2 guys teams scout and say they must stop because they're really the only 2 that can go off even when being guarded. I think lowry would play well on phoenix or philly with play finishers, but if he's playing with hayes,battier,trevor, and scola, they might break records for least points scored.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Stop beating that dead ass horse. If you listen to people on this board, blocks are overrated. Well, someone forgot to tell that to joel anthony and all the other bigger teams we've faced this year and got killed in the middle.

15. DaDakota

Seriously Leeb, while you and I don't agree on everything at least I know that you understand the game, sometimes when talking to folks on here you just wonder about what they are watching out there?

Kids....SHEESH !

DD

16. durvasa

I think you are right.

Brooks-Battier-Ariza (no Lowry) have a +/- of -1.8 per 100 possessions (1067 minutes).

Lowry-Battier-Ariza (no Brooks) have a +/- of -1.9 per 100 possessions (174 minutes).

Lowry-Brooks-Battier-Ariza have a +/- of 0.1 per 100 possessions (80 minutes)

Brooks and Budinger are the best perimeter threats on the team.

When Lowry is on the floor, and neither of those players are on the floor with him:

215 minutes, 102.7 OFF, 105.6 DEF, -2.9 per 100poss

When Lowry is on the floor, and at least one of Brooks and Budinger is on the floor with him:

970 minutes, 110.1 OFF, 103.4 DEF, +6.7 per 100poss

17. DaDakota

I have been saying all year long our biggest problem is that Battriza is our starting combo...it hampers anyone playing with them.

You don't need stats to tell you that, though it is nice when it backs up your observations.

:grin:

DD

18. durvasa

Suppose after February 18th, we add Butler and Haywood and lose Scola.

That would mean the starting lineup 2-5 would be: Butler, Ariza, Landry, Haywood.

Who would rather see at PG with those 4 players?

19. DaDakota

AB, I always choose the better offensive player, a guy who is more of a threat to score the ball.

DD

20. durvasa

The question is which player becomes the better offensive player when more scoring threats are added at the other 4 positions.

Brooks undeniably shoots the ball better than Lowry.

Lowry is clearly better in transition, offensive rebounding, drawing fouls, finding open players.

Does Brooks' great skill beat Lowry's every time?