1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry and the Memphis Grizzlies

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ToyCen428, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Yes, Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo are much better than Lowry.

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Amazing read, thank you.
    Lowry is miles ahead of Brooks, even though he is (currently) a bench player who started playing mid season.
    He will start next season, as evident by the minutes that Adelman gave him last night (one of the biggest, if not biggest games this season).

3. Jimes

Jimes Member

jaybiddyforeal = "LowryFan"

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

fyi, the nba doesn't always count those heaves into stats. There's a way they decide with multiple rules--like, "if it's beyond half-court and baseball shot, then it doesn't count, and same if it's a two-handed push shot.. but if it's in front of half-court and uncontested it coutns" etc. etc.

Can't remember where I read that and I can't seem to search it very well..

But all of the shots by Lowry may not be counted into his stats..

5. jaybiddyforeal

lmao. i think im the only person in the world with a kyle lowry authentic road grizzlies jersey. hell i might be the only person in the world with an authentic grizz jersey period. and you should see my lowry rookie card collection, its really something else.

but im just glad the people here appreciate lowry's game, i've been preaching for two years now and all my friends tell me im nuts haha. Morey really should hire me :) :)

6. jaybiddyforeal

i did this check retrospectively, so im sure all the ones i counted counted towards his stats.

7. landryfans

landryfans Member

I cant wait to throw AB off the bus, lowry is our future.

Jaybiddy, excellent post!

8. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Morey specifically instructs the players to take those half court shots since they get thrown out of their stats. Some guys never did (Tmac and Rafer).

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Chucky's thrown up his fair share as well.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Conley is going to be a very good player....

Mike Conley
    OJ Mayo
    Rudy Gay
    ---------Blake Griffin?
    Marc Gasol

That has a ton of future potential...

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

if kyle can work on hitting those mid range jumpers consistently he will be a FORCE to be reckon with!! with his speed he can create shots for himself and get those mid range jumpers whenever he wants.. he's very patient and he has good basketball iq

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

jaybiddyforeal = kyle lowry

j/k ... :p

kyle's the man!

13. Knetk30

Knetk30 Member

I am a huge Kyle Lowry fan in the vein of Jaybiddyforeal. Everything he said, is 110% true. As a Nova fan, I watched him play college bb and he was the most exciting player I had ever seen, and he only played for one and a half seasons (he was injured the first half of his freshman year.) He also remains as the smartest freshman I have ever seen. There was no learning curve for him. He never made any of those obligatory freshman mistakes and played amazingly well within a offense that included three other great guards Randy Foye, Allen Ray and Mike Nardi. What I remember most is his efficiency. He would always choose his spots very wisely and never took anything away from the game.

I was crushed when my New Jersey Nets didn't draft when they were in position to. I was also increasingly disappointed that he ended up playing in the bermuda triangle that is the Memphis Grizzlies. But I have been ecstatic since he was traded to a contender who needed great guard play. I have been watching many of the games and it's incredible how consistently Lowry has those patented hustle plays that nobody was expecting. After watching Jason Kidd play for many seasons, I can safely that Lowry similarly possesses that rare gift of always being in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.

For example, close to the end of the first half at the Mavs game, Lowry sets himself perfectly for an offensive charge, killing the Mav's momentum. But what people did not notice is that when the Rockets inbounded the ball with 3.2 seconds left, they passed it to Yao Ming who shot a fade away jumper, it bounced off the rim and Lowry was right there running and jumping to tip it in. Unfortunately, Lowry was unable to get a hand on it and the half was over. But that's classic Lowry. At Nova, he had a game winning floater from an offensive rebound he caught in mid-air. In his first NBA game ever, he was an inch shy of a game winning tip-in.

It seems almost trivial but don't be surprised at all when the Rockets are in the playoffs and Lowry comes up big in the last few possessions in some form of a hustle play that swings the game.

I would also like to mention that the Houston Rockets are a very likable team, notwithstanding Ron Artest. Yao, Scola, Battier, Wafer and Landry are all really fun to watch.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Nice first post, Knetk30. We all appreciate your insight on Lowry.

I always had an appreciation for Lowry, myself. Being a Pitt fan I definitely got my taste that year of Nova and their unconventional, basically four guard line up with Jason Fraser. Fraser, at the time, I believe was only in his 7th year of college. :p

But yeah, Lowry is a cerebral player with great instincts. Still young, still has plenty of upside...gotta love the move.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yes, please stick around here & keep posting!

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Some great posts from a couple of Lowry fans. Lowry should have been ours in the 2006 draft, it's the one fault I had with the Battier trade; not getting that 24th pick of the Grizz. But Morey has shown a knack for correcting his very few mistakes.

17. jedicro

jedicro Member

I still have only seen Lowry make one bone headed play his entire time in Houston, and that was in his first game trying to throw a court length pass to Yao.

Since then he has been absolutely solid. He realizes 3 pointers aren't his strong suit, so he doesn't take a lot of them. He always makes the right pass and knows when to drive or when to pull up and shoot as he is pretty efficient at jump shots jsut inside the 3 pt arch.

These attributes, compared to AB who seems to be lost often on the offensive end, are beautiful to watch. I'm perfectly content with him as our PG of the future. I would be shocked if he's not our starter next year. AB's would be far more effective as a spark plug scorer off the bench.

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Lowry learns from his mistakes; AB learns slowly.

In the first game he played, he tried to run a fast break with Chuck Hayes. He hasn't done that since.

19. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Lowry> Alston

end of story.

Memphis shipped him out because of a log jam at PG. Lowry has basically maxed his potential as a player. Conley is the more talented of the two and his upside made Kyle expendable. I'm glad Morey made the deal. Lowry gives us quality minutes every night.

20. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Uh. what?